COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Religious Organizations

As someone new to this game (first post btw) I was wondering if there has been anything disclosed about religious organizations? i.e. the ability to be monks or priests or whatever equivalent they will have in the game's religious system. I know religions have been confirmed but it would be cool to see how a pope like character can effect in game politics with multiple kingdoms of the same religion.

"Roses are red, violets are blue; sometimes it don't be like that, sometimes it just do" -the G.O.A.T.

friend code-B0945E

5/4/2017 11:12:02 AM #1

Hail fellow Elyrian!

I was thinking about religion in-game too when I chance upon your post. Actually I was going through whatever lore I can find and all I found was about religion, so I searched the threads. Not too sure why no one replied you though but here seems to be another discussion on religion that might interest you.

To answer your question, from my limited knowledge, it will seem that the only organised religion is the Vitori who are described to be "paladins and clerics." So if there is going to be a Pope like figure, it is most likely to come from the Vitori. Not too sure if this Pope is going to have the same powers to excommunicate people like CK II though. Nothing has been said but I highly doubt so.

Why do I think so? Because I do not think that the other religions look anything like organised religion and it simply does not make sense to have a mechanic in-game for only 1 religion. If I draw some parallels between what I read and what I see in real life, it goes something like this :

Qindred = Norse Paganism + Greek and Roman Pantheon?

Vitori = Abrahamic Religions + Zoroastrianism? (Note, Organised religion)

Faedin = Hinduism? (No, I really do not think Hinduism is organised)

Servants of the Two-fold Queen = Taoism? Jediism? (Nope, Taoism is not organised, trust me. Jediism? Fan Club.)

Atheist/Agnostics = Atheist/Agnostics.

P.S. Everything I have typed here is speculative and based on my on perception.

P.P.S. I know I missed out on Buddhism, Sikhism and Pantheism/Pandeism. Other religions? Well I don't know what I don't know.

5/4/2017 11:56:29 AM #2

Would be nice to know what benifits you get from the known religions of Elyria. I heard devs mention that made up religion's would have no benefits. My town will have a religion as part of the focus and would like to plan some of my activities around it. Would be nice to have a Q&A or dev journals for lore's and religion.

5/4/2017 12:34:56 PM #3

I've gotten into a pseudo faith, but put everything on hold as I noticed more information being rolled out. I would prefer folding into something beneficial rather than just saying 'this is happening' counter to the game and with no real benefit to the players.

5/4/2017 12:43:40 PM #4

Bathe in Myrkul's shadow and your transgressions will be forgiven

UDL

5/12/2017 12:36:43 PM #5

bit of a problem with a lot of the thinking here. "Give us a defined path to follow so I can min/max properly or else"

I see alot more posts concerned about what buffs they will get than how it ties in with: Their character The story The things they believe or care about The style

Personally I do actually think it is this kind of thing that can be the downfall of the game, people like all of the games ideas but they care about their own progression more.

Also I suspect you can change religions, considering that you play multiple characters i dont think changing religions would be so strange.

5/12/2017 12:43:42 PM #6

Think you should expect the amusing outlook where they are all proven to be wrong in the end? :)

5/12/2017 12:46:50 PM #7

Posted By Reikan at 08:36 AM - Fri May 12 2017

bit of a problem with a lot of the thinking here. "Give us a defined path to follow so I can min/max properly or else"

I see alot more posts concerned about what buffs they will get than how it ties in with: Their character The story The things they believe or care about The style

Personally I do actually think it is this kind of thing that can be the downfall of the game, people like all of the games ideas but they care about their own progression more.

People need to know if it's worth their time. While having content is nice, content that gets you no where is disappointing and/or pointless to many. Especially if you invest in something like a Cathedral/Shrine that is $100+ in EP. While I don't want exact progression or paths to be revealed a general answer of what you could possibly get doesn't hurt.

I don't know anymore.

5/12/2017 12:48:19 PM #8

Id love that, my main reason to discover secrets would be so i can know to hide them. I just hope SBS isnt pressured into giving away too much information.

5/12/2017 1:14:16 PM #9

@ManofGame Along the same lines above, there just isn't enough information out there yet, but there is hope.

From what has been shown, it would be completely possible for you to start your own religion or be the follower of an existing one. It is essentially developing a belief system (your life is but a spark that you can use to inhabit other living beings upon death and become immortal), after that its just networking. Being a monk or priest would be the networking so that you gather followers or supporters. To build the network you'll need a skill set. Being a scribe and offering services (or any unrevealed buffs offered, maybe priests are needed for marriage contracts). If you make and sell maps you could ensure your church is on every map you make. Enough followers you could challenge the local government for power, or ensure you have a place next to the king as an adviser affecting diplomacy.

5/12/2017 1:55:47 PM #10

Not much has been released in detail covering religions though some basic information has surfaced. Below is a link for what we know so far. Each of the organized religions will off a specific passive bonus so so more details on specifics here would be nice when they are finalized. However you can make up any religion or cult you wish in game for a more roleplay or fun time however these alternative religions will not offer any bonuses.

Religion Link: http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Religion

Oh, and Manofgame welcome to the CoE Community...

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/15/2017 7:11:45 AM #11

My wish list for religion would be for it to some what parallel the system of pledged nobles. A 'pope' at the top and cardinals, bishops and priests below, but none control the land or can tax, they only collect tithes and dispense blessings as they compete for followers. A third kind of settlement could exist a bit like a Barony but dedicated to religion and chartered by the King, call them shrines, monasteries, temples, etc etc.

Religion its self and the players choice of which if any to follow and then how the uphold said religions principles should be a huge factor in the destiny system, as that is a huge factor in ones over arching character development players would have a compelling reason to partake without overt bonuses. The religions themselves have destiny which is in a feedback with the members, as the members turn towards certain tendencies so too dose the faith overall so the whole thing is dynamic and can bubble up from below.

Seneschal for the Hrothi County of Iskar, Recruiter for the Duchy of Aritaur

https://discord.gg/qRQ3Zj6

5/15/2017 7:31:19 AM #12

Are we able to force a certain religion into different regions? Of course with our King's blessing of course. I saw there were IP kits dedicated to religious things, so I was wondering.

Opens the game up to more... zealotry type of player/kingdom-run organizations. :)

5/15/2017 8:11:53 AM #13

Thanks for the replies all. Hopefully the devs give some info on the topic in the near future as religion is a huge opportunity for all kinds of interplay between different kingdoms. One thinks of popes (or their equivalents) mediating between feuding factions, holy orders of warriors defending the faith against the infidel, priests embezzling funds, all kinds of stuff. Honestly CK2 has spoiled me a bit but I'm excited for whatever we get

"Roses are red, violets are blue; sometimes it don't be like that, sometimes it just do" -the G.O.A.T.

friend code-B0945E

5/15/2017 9:21:03 AM #14

I get sad that 90% of the time people think of Christian religion. So many other cool religions and mythologies out there. Christianity themes can be cool but definitely other neat possibilities when you have every option of religion.

5/15/2017 4:07:09 PM #15

Posted By Reikan at 05:21 AM - Mon May 15 2017

I get sad that 90% of the time people think of Christian religion. So many other cool religions and mythologies out there. Christianity themes can be cool but definitely other neat possibilities when you have every option of religion.

I can't speak for others but I personally default to Christianity because being raised Roman Catholic, it's what I am most familiar with. However also since this game is set to be medieval and that time period the Catholic Church dominated most of Europe it's an easy comparison to make. However other eastern themed religions or Nordic traditions would be cool to see explored

friend code-B0945E