COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GUILDS
Merchant's Association proposal

I'm proposing the creation of an economic association open to all players and certain organizations, regardless of their background or allegiance. The only requirement to joining would be an entrance fee, followed by monthly membership dues. In return for being a member, one would receive the following services:

1. Information exchange - members will have private access to shared market information in other cities and markets - helping link demand with producers/merchants. The guild will also help make the process of those seeking to make a contract with the right supplier easier.

2. Caravaning - Members can organize trade caravans with people they can trust. Safety in numbers and pooling the cost of security will reduce the uncertainty and cost of making trips across hazardous territory.

3. Insurance - If feasible, members can purchase insurance from the guild to cover their trade activities or other enterprises from risk.

4. Banking services - Members can deposit their wealth in a guild-controlled bank. Due to a centralized ledger, members will be able to deposit and withdraw their funds in any city or town where the association has an establishment.

5. Loans - Members can take loans from the guild, whose funds come from membership fees, insurance premiums, and deposits at advantaged conditions to begin businesses and other enterprises.

6. Depot access - If it seems necessary and feasible, the association will build trade depots in major cities along trade routes, members can deposit their trade goods for safe-keeping or stockpiling at a lower fee.

7. Lobbying power - an association of merchants and manufacturers will have a greater say than an individual. Guild representatives will lobby Kings, lords, and mayors for economic policies that benefit its members - ensuring safe and open trade, and an economic environment conducive for business.

8. Protection - pooled funding will give the guild the resources to protect the interests of its members from banditry where the law is unable to. Guild resources can be used to hire mercenaries or other forces to destroy those who would threaten commerce.

Organisation's Goal:

This guild would remain neutral and open to everyone, regardless of their citizenship or affiliation with any realm. It would purely be an economic organization to help develop commerce by facilitating trade between cities and regions, spread market information, link buyers and sellers, and provide financial services to promote growth and exchange. It's only political role would be to represent the interests of those engaged in industry and commerce to political leaders in order to get favorable economic policy and laws.It is essentially a platform to connect those engaged in trade, commerce, and industry to coordinate for everyone's individual benefit.

The guild's value to kingdoms, duchies, counties, and cities is that it would promote economic prosperity by integrating local markets together through information exchange, finance, and logistical support.

Realistically, this organization would probably start in one of the capitals of a kingdom, and grow its network from there. First starting as a network of information exchange and caravaning until it had the financial capital to start building the establishments for the other proposed services. As more members join, it could establish a presence in other cities and realms.

I would like to know if anyone is interesting in forming an organization like this, please message me! Personally, I'm waiting until further development milestones are reached, so we could lay down more concrete plans.

5/2/2017 5:37:14 PM #1

Sounds like the old Knights Templar. I've got my mind on other things personally, but it's a good concept, although I suspect there will be competition in this arena.

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

5/2/2017 5:40:34 PM #2

cough ETA cough

Coming Soon(tm)

5/2/2017 6:42:53 PM #3

Posted By COECipher at 7:37 PM - Tue May 02 2017

Sounds like the old Knights Templar. I've got my mind on other things personally, but it's a good concept, although I suspect there will be competition in this arena.

Yeah! Templar banking services is an inspiration for this. Probably. If banking services are too complicated to do, I think a rudimentary asset transfer system would be deeply valued. Say someone wants to move a great deal of wealth to another city without risking its physical transport. The guild could take the wealth in at one local bank, and then pay it out from its local bank in the other location, with a fee attached to it, of course....

As for competition, it really depends on the structure of politics and the game itself. It could very well end up becoming the mercantilist organization of a certain kingdom, competing with other similarly-backed organizations from other realms or even other cities. Neutrality may not be an option, but its far too early to anticipate any of that. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out!

5/2/2017 6:43:22 PM #4

A "global" neutral comerce organizations that aims to stay neutral even in face of political conflicts... and you probably want to be in charge of it. Nice, nothing suspicious.

5/2/2017 7:32:18 PM #5

Posted By Eurickdm at 8:43 PM - Tue May 02 2017

A "global" neutral comerce organizations that aims to stay neutral even in face of political conflicts... and you probably want to be in charge of it. Nice, nothing suspicious.

We'll see what tools the game gives us in terms of organization and security settings over assets. The structure of such an organization would obviously depend heavily on what is doable in-game. Decentralization would be important, but some centralized institutions would be important in handling finances - hopefully there'll be some game mechanics to prevent someone from running off with the bank funds (this should be a concern in general). If not, the organization could run between 'nodes' of city chapters that collaborate together, with a online forum to exchange information. That being said, I imagine that an organization would have a 'board of directors' that would elect a guild head to run its affairs for a given time.

Neutrality and global reach would be the ideal for now, but in-game reality of course may change such plans and aspirations.

5/2/2017 8:28:59 PM #6

I wasn't even thinking about robbery, my concerns were more political.

5/2/2017 9:23:56 PM #7

Posted By Beauvais at 1:42 PM - Tue May 02 2017

As for competition, it really depends on the structure of politics and the game itself. It could very well end up becoming the mercantilist organization of a certain kingdom, competing with other similarly-backed organizations from other realms or even other cities. Neutrality may not be an option, but its far too early to anticipate any of that. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out!

Definitely very early for guild-related planning IMO - this forum goes back ~2 years and it may go for another 2 more before we see any game - but it's hard not to put the ideas out there and to discuss them. :D

Friend Code: 4AC3A3

11/19/2017 5:55:00 PM #8

Did someone mention the Knights Templar?

Commandery #16 Tennessee

5/20/2018 9:57:13 PM #9

I could definitely see myself joining something like this. I'm going to be a wandering merchant so I may find some great areas for resources. No guarantees though.

Mighty gear for the Mighty Menn

10/15/2018 4:50:14 PM #10

I'm very interested in this idea, as I plan on focusing all my efforts on crafting and selling. Anything to make it more efficient to craft and create better and more unique gear.

10/15/2018 5:00:14 PM #11

I love how everyone thinks if there is ONE guild in all of elyria which does something, thats enough :D

Just do it :D see how far u can get it. There might be a trading guild in the south... or with the dras... or in a specific kingdom... but all the other possibilities are still there! Just go for it :D

10/15/2018 5:08:22 PM #12

The only issue is that game mechanics would let you truly be neutral. Outside of that you can do it, it will just be a lot of work and trust involved.

10/15/2018 5:23:45 PM #13

Posted By Deftly at 12:08 PM - Mon Oct 15 2018

The only issue is that game mechanics would let you truly be neutral. Outside of that you can do it, it will just be a lot of work and trust involved.

I assume to start the whole thing off you'd need a group of individuals who are all familiar with each other already and can exist on their own for a while.

And the idea of being truly neutral is a pipe dream for something like this. Something like a guild of people who's sole purpose is to make money supplying goods is going to be a prime target for thieves, so you're gonna make enemies. At some point those enemies will be politically tied to someone, whether a simple alliance or them being sent directly by a political figure who needs the resources.

10/15/2018 6:48:45 PM #14

Sounds rather utopian imo. It would certainly be nice if some 'Hanseatic'-like guild focussing on a limited number of commodities could come into existence, spanning two or more kingdoms on a continent. I hope and expect anything beyond that scale to trigger major interventions of specialized/locally operating guilds and/or ruling classes of affected realms.

10/16/2018 2:19:36 AM #15

since this necro thread seems to have been revived, interested parties should look at this
The Golden Goose Company