COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Environmental Clutter?

Hi all,

does anyonw know if the world will have some (better very much) environmental clutter like treestumps, undergrowth, fallen trees, boulders, slopes, tiny lakes, burnt out carriages, blackberry bushes, etc.?

Some of the screenshots and vidos so far looks really nice but in others one can see vast flat or wavy land just covered with grass.

I'm a bit confused here if at the end the world will look more like Skyrim, Witcher 3, and so on (very good) or if it will end like Linage 2, Archage or some other random mmopg (bad)?

I know that the worlds will be generated procedurally but I don't know how much detail will be filled into the landscape.

5/4/2017 7:10:14 PM #1

Yes there will be things like small lakes, undergrowths, berry bushes and the like but when it comes to burnt out carriages it will depend if players attack carriages or not after all it is a dynamic world (but most likely everything that you listed will be in the game).

5/4/2017 8:59:07 PM #2

Bodies will not simply de-spawn. They will have to be actively collected and placed into graveyards and catacombs.

Those who fail to learn the historical maneuvers of the Great Dance are doomed to repeating a classic misstep. -- FC--96C878

5/4/2017 9:02:42 PM #3

Caspian has said when u drop an item its stays there until picked up, so unless someone comes clean up after you there should be debris

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious."

5/4/2017 9:07:04 PM #4

Posted By Fakadakalaka at 5:02 PM - Thu May 04 2017

Caspian has said when u drop an item its stays there until picked up, so unless someone comes clean up after you there should be debris

Oh man, war is going to be messy!

5/4/2017 9:11:38 PM #5

Posted By Flog at 10:07 PM - Thu May 04 2017

And this is the point. After great battle you should be able to see the battlefields covered with bodies, destroyed siege weapons etc.

EU - Server >Friend Code: 72983B

5/4/2017 9:20:54 PM #6

Maybe we can scavange the remains of a big battle ;)

However my question was more targeted an the natural things. In many games there are wide lands full of ... nothing. I really hope that there will be all of these little details that really would make the world feel immersive.

5/4/2017 9:30:35 PM #7

Posted By Brungon at 10:20 PM - Thu May 04 2017

Maybe we can scavange the remains of a big battle ;)

However my question was more targeted an the natural things. In many games there are wide lands full of ... nothing. I really hope that there will be all of these little details that really would make the world feel immersive.

Indeed. The devs are constantly picking up points like this. With each update, if you look for them, you'll spot numerous tweaks and changes as content gets improved and added.

Their philosophy is "rope bridge". ie their will create the most minimal working solution to a problem initially, then iteratively build and improve upon it. As such, as an example you might see generic landscapes initially with poor textures. You might later see textures improving and trees varying. You may then see clutter and animals appearing. Then the animals may become better defined. Then they may exhibit more natural behaviours etc. It's a gradual process of adding depth.

7/10/2017 1:01:40 PM #8

Posted By Heartagram at 11:11 PM - Thu May 04 2017

And this is the point. After great battle you should be able to see the battlefields covered with bodies, destroyed siege weapons etc.

Imagine the battlefield after a war.. Maybe they should add NPC's that help on that purpose, for I'd be impressed if there were enough player motivated to spend their gaming-period moving corpses around and cleaning up. Unless kings or nobleman would pay guilds and/or players to do so.. Aaaand there we go! Recreating society as we know it! Pay others to do the stuff you don't want to ':D

7/10/2017 3:36:49 PM #9

Posted By YHess at 06:01 AM - Mon Jul 10 2017

Posted By Heartagram at 11:11 PM - Thu May 04 2017

Imagine the battlefield after a war.. Maybe they should add NPC's that help on that purpose, for I'd be impressed if there were enough player motivated to spend their gaming-period moving corpses around and cleaning up. Unless kings or nobleman would pay guilds and/or players to do so.. Aaaand there we go! Recreating society as we know it! Pay others to do the stuff you don't want to ':D

"BRING OUT YER DEAD!"

7/10/2017 4:42:43 PM #10

Battlefield scavenging could be a very lucrative, if somewhat inconsistent, career. I'm sure plenty of weapons and shields will be dropped and forgotten, or at least missed, by those not going over the area with specific intent to find them. Armor would be rarer, due to the varying levels of death.

Still, I'm sure battlefield will end up with plenty of litter a patient, motivated scavenger could collect. From there you could repair them, sell them as is, or even break them down to material components for sale or future crafting.

As for the bodies, I wonder if they could be buried in fields before planting to act as fertilizer.

⛵️❓💰

7/10/2017 5:23:39 PM #11

To the OP,

I imagine that as we get closer to launch, "decorative" landscaping will increase. I think the reason you've noticed just grass in certain screenshots and videos is because so far they have put alot of time and effort into the "grass" layer. Once that is optimized and stable, expect to see more additions.