COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
EP item value and investment

I was reading over the list caspian posted, but I realized I can't really make a decision to purchase based on what hes provided, here's why:

What exactly is the value of each building? Is it cheaper to purchase materials and build, say, a cathedral, or is it cheaper to outright buy the building itself? How much is the labor costs of building the cathedral, and how is it incorporated into the EP costs?

The game mechanics for building, the time it takes to build, and the resources needed for each have to be given for us to actually know the best value for our EP, but we don't have access to that information. How can anyone feel good about their purchase if they don't know the value of the alternatives? Personally, I can't bring myself to buy anything while I don't know exactly how much I could save/lose if I tried to build it myself instead of insta-placing it. This really makes it hard to choose what to spend EP on, especially when you have a very limited amount.

So what I'm asking for is probably impossible to provide at this moment in time, but SBS, is there any way you can flesh out some of the construction mechanics and resource costs so we know what we're buying?

5/9/2017 3:53:09 PM #1

You're currently backed at tier 1. You cannot use EP unless you have access to Exposition by pledging at the Bloodline level (which is currently on sale for $112.50) or above. The Bloodline tier comes with 100 EP.

5/9/2017 3:58:24 PM #2

Posted By Raudell at 10:53 AM - Tue May 09 2017

You're currently backed at tier 1. You cannot use EP unless you have access to Exposition by pledging at the Bloodline level (which is currently on sale for $112.50) or above. The Bloodline tier comes with 100 EP.

I'm aware, thanks, I was going to bump up a few tiers just for the EP...I dont really even think my ability to purchase things now or later is relevant to the question though

5/9/2017 4:07:29 PM #3

The kits will be at a 20% discount from the normal EP price of things sold a la carte.

I imagine though that even things bought with EP will be relatively competitive to the projection of what they would cost later in the game. But really its hard to know since the game is suppose to be a fluid economy which means the prices of everything will be set by the players and supply and demand.

I imagine that in the beginning building material will be rather expensive as will the labor since there wont me a stock pile of supplies and few that are trained how to use them. A few years down the line though? Who knows

But for EP the point it to build the world before anyone else gets to enter it leaving your mark on it, and helping to sculpt the way it looks

5/9/2017 4:07:37 PM #4

Posted By Raudell at 5:53 PM - Tue May 09 2017

Ok...I have Expo access and I have exactly the same questions. Dont automatically dismiss his/her questions just because s/he isnt high enough tier. :-/

5/9/2017 4:11:21 PM #5

The problem is that there are two different costs involved. EP, and in-game currency. I would assume that it will cost less EP to buy the materials and build a cathedral within the game, but then you will need to ensure that you have the skilled labor available, and the currency and resources to support that labor.

There's also the consideration of the amount of time it will take. The Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of the laying of it's first stone in 2020. They plan to finish the final step of original plans for the cathedral for the centennial. If you want to spend your first two real-life game years overseeing the construction of a cathedral, that is, of course, your choice. Just don't expect to have it finished by the end of exposition.

Shieldwall Strong!

5/9/2017 5:24:14 PM #6

I think with EP you have it. Boom, it's in your pocket now go place it. Full and complete

With Gold, Florins, Ducats, or whatever the in game currency is it's more like "real life" but accelerated. You have to accumulate to money, get the Craftsman, gather the resources etc.

The Township of Bris, County Delgora. Friend Code B2CF9C Friend Code B2CF9C

5/9/2017 7:05:40 PM #7

Posted By Hugh Bris at 10:24 AM - Tue May 09 2017

I think with EP you have it. Boom, it's in your pocket now go place it. Full and complete

Thats accurate unless they changed that since I last kept up with the DJs

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5/9/2017 7:17:10 PM #8

Those are two different things,

EP means you seed the world and as such create story and history for those that will come later.

For the exemple, if you buy a cathedral with EP it means when the other players will join the game at the end of exposition, a cathedral will exist in your settlement and will have existed there for several years, the npcs, clergy, worshiper, merchants, bandits ...... will have moved in the area due to the presence of that cathedral.

if you do not buy it with EP but decide to build it, you bring an other story but no history and no previous change of the world, you'll witness the world change as the construction goes on, that might attract other npcs, change trade.....

then on top you have to take into account the things we do not know yet, cathedrals were huge undertakings, 50 to 100+ years to build them, even if in CoE it takes less than that might take several days or months to build.

And same goes for all EP things, they are going to seed the world, impact it and let the world react to their existence for several years.

You buy a mine with EP good you start with a mine, mean probably minerals ressources flowing into your settlement, but also population working in the mine, potentially less diversity in what kind of profession the npcs of that settlement will have, if most of them are miners and the rest are farmers, it means less diversity to get new players when they'll create their characters. I have no idea if miners and farmers are going to be popular but they might be less attractive than some other professions.

And then comes also the risk of too much, with lots of EP you might be tempted to buy more than what the area can handle, not enough man power might mean things go decay because not used or that the population rush push you to invest in crappy housing creating shanty towns or banditry... or even worse, your county becomes so attractive that it drains population of the whole area, to the point that your neighbors take offence of it and decide to put a stop to your growth!

5/13/2017 12:52:21 PM #9

I feel the same way! Reading through the threads, I just don't feel comfortable buying any EP until I know exactly what it is I'm investing into.

ayy lmao

5/13/2017 2:50:09 PM #10

Posted By MatrimCauthon at 10:58 AM - Tue May 09 2017

Posted By Raudell at 10:53 AM - Tue May 09 2017

I'm aware, thanks, I was going to bump up a few tiers just for the EP...I dont really even think my ability to purchase things now or later is relevant to the question though

Your original post seems to imply that your primary concern is financial. Cautioning you to not waste your money on EP that you will not be able to use is relevant to that concern.

I could have speculated, as others here have done, but I felt no amount of speculation would sufficiently satisfy this question, so I chose to address the more immediate concern instead.

Posted By WickedT at 11:07 AM - Tue May 09 2017

Ok...I have Expo access and I have exactly the same questions. Dont automatically dismiss his/her questions just because s/he isnt high enough tier. :-/

Not responding to a specific question is not the same thing as dismissing it. I was not being dismissive, though I can understand why it appeared that way. I was only concerned that the OP would, as a result of this discussion, spend money on EP that they would then be unable to use. I pointed out that they need to pledge at a level that offers exposition access prior to purchasing that EP.

As for the primary topic of discussion, I consider EP purchases as a way to contribute to the success of the game. The developers get more money to continue development, and I get to personally enrich the world by making it a better, safer, and more accessible place to new players. It's a win win.

I get that other people have different goals and ideas. For example, some may want a specific game play experience, and wish to use EP to ensure that they can have it, come launch. For them, the answers to the proposed questions are important in determining how much EP they need to purchase, or whether they will be able to secure said experience without it.

For me, it's a matter of how much money I can invest in SBS' game while still being fiscally responsible. I haven't thought about questions like these, so any speculation I might add would not only be just that, speculation (and most likely unhelpful), but uninformed speculation at that.

5/13/2017 2:54:16 PM #11

I believe Caspian initially posted this information on EP with the intention of trying to give people as much information as he could so they could make an informed decision on buying EP.

So while I would love to see more information as well I think this is going to be as good as we get. No harm in asking though!

5/13/2017 4:30:34 PM #12

Posted By MatrimCauthon at

I think its more about what you want to be in game than what is cheaper. If you want to be tailor you don't want to learn building your house,so you will buy our whole house, but you dont want to buy clothes you are going to sell so you only buy cloth even if buying sheeps and getting your wool that way is going to be cheaper If you are going to be builder you buy stones and stuff to build and build houses even if buying whole house will be cheaper.