COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Visible backpacks and carrying people?

Not sure if its been discussed somewhere already, but here we go as I did not find anything about it:

I hope and assume backpacks will be visible on the characters carrying them?

CoE seems to include most of the things I've always wanted in MMORPGs and even some things I didn't even know I wanted before I read about them here.. So with all the amazing stuff already in the making;

Backpacks had me thinking of carrying people..

Would this be possible? (Why not animals too, some pet lizard was mentioned to lie across its owners shoulder if I'm not mistaken?)

..Would be neat to in game give someone a piggyback ride, carry a blushing bride or groom, move a injured comrade to safety or why not toss someone over the shoulder for a good old kidnapping. Wouldn't mind dragging of bodies when someone dies or passes out either.

Would naturally look silly if someone small tried to carry someone big but strength, endurance, added fatigue, whatever you call it would be there to call the shots.

Shaking hands, giving hugs or patting someones shoulder also something I'd like to see, but that would just be more icing on the cake!

5/10/2017 11:49:34 AM #1

To the point about seeing if someone has a backpack. The essence of WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) is that if it's there, you will see it.

A backpack may be obscurred by wearing a cloak over it, but if they are wearing one, you will eventually see it, or at least the shape as the cloak falls over it.

As to giving piggy back rides....

The mechanics for riding actuall MOUNTS is pretty solid (AFAIK). Piggy back or riding a character's shoulders might be doable, but I would posit that the devs would have to make sure the collision mechanics, and the ambulation mechanics worked properly, Not to metion to potential of needing to MoCap what it looks like IRL to help them establish that in the animations.

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

5/10/2017 11:53:36 AM #2

Backpacks will be visible. Whatever you see on a character is what they are wearing/carrying.

I don't know if we will be able to carry other people. It's a good question. I know we won't be able to bind or detain others without a bounty token, so we'll see.

Shieldwall Strong!

5/10/2017 11:53:55 AM #3

I hope and assume backpacks will be visible on the characters carrying them?

Yes, basically every item that you're carrying will not "vanish" and will be either visible or hidden in your pockets/bags assuming it has enough space. I know you will also be able to carry bags in both your hands, but I'm not sure if carrying/dragging people will be implemented.

5/13/2017 12:55:34 PM #4

I would think so? Especially on mules & other carting animals.

ayy lmao