COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
The Last Kingdom

Anyone a fan of The Last Kingdom?

(Basically it's a TV series about Vikings and Anglo-Saxons in 9th century England, based on novels by Bernard Cornwell -- a sensational historical novelist, across a variety of eras -- and it's really, really entertaining.)

My wife and I are finally catching up on Series 2 and every time they go into a settlement, I'm like, "This is how CoE will be...!"

I think my wife's getting sick of me saying that.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/11/2017 12:22:41 AM #1

Haha.. I watched the first season but haven't yet caught up on season two. I really enjoy the show but Vikings still has it beat all to hell. :)

5/11/2017 12:26:48 AM #2

I just watched Episode 1 last night! Haha, I'm excited to watch the rest. I had some of the same thoughts :)

5/11/2017 12:34:46 AM #3

Yes, and just saw S2 show up on Netflix. So glad there IS a S2. I seem to have a terrible habit of watching shows that only last for 1 season. I hope it's as good as S1. I think Vikings has better acting and production, but Last Kingdom is still highly entertaining.

5/11/2017 12:53:58 AM #4

I don't think the acting is necessarily better in Vikings. The tone is incredibly different. Uthred is a totally different kind of hero than Ragnar or any of the other Vikings. Far, far less serious, in the best way possible. He's delightfully charming -- without all the awkward stares into the distance that Ragnar (Travis Fimmel) seems to rely on.

I love both shows but they are very different in tone, despite being only a few dozen years apart in history. (Vikings is a tad bit earlier)

FC:D42D39

5/11/2017 12:59:14 AM #5

Posted By jennifer at 7:53 PM - Wed May 10 2017

I don't think the acting is necessarily better in Vikings. The tone is incredibly different. Uthred is a totally different kind of hero than Ragnar or any of the other Vikings. Far, far less serious, in the best way possible. He's delightfully charming -- without all the awkward stares into the distance that Ragnar (Travis Fimmel) seems to rely on.

I love both shows but they are very different in tone, despite being only a few dozen years apart in history. (Vikings is a tad bit earlier)

Pretty much it is 2nd and third generation of vikings in the show, in books there is whole battle where Ivar the Boneless is, in tv show they cut that out completely , books are much better, show skims trough books literally in one episode it goes trough two novels. Uthred and all other characters are really fleshed out in novels while in series they are just shadows of themselves

5/11/2017 1:12:58 AM #6

Yep, I've read them. The books are always better than a show, that's why I didn't even bother mentioning them. Different modes of entertainment, cannot compare the two.

Anyway, Uthred is just about as delightful a hero as you can get, if you get a chance, it's all on Netflix!

FC:D42D39

5/11/2017 1:15:11 AM #7

Posted By jennifer at 8:12 PM - Wed May 10 2017

Yep, I've read them. The books are always better than a show, that's why I didn't even bother mentioning them. Different modes of entertainment, cannot compare the two.

Anyway, Uthred is just about as delightful a hero as you can get, if you get a chance, it's all on Netflix!

Oh I binge watched it, already, not complaining I am glad it got made, Bernard Cornwell is my favorite author

5/11/2017 1:40:53 AM #8

Posted By jennifer at 7:53 PM - Wed May 10 2017

This person knows her shit

5/11/2017 3:13:00 AM #9

Good to see some love for the show, and Bernard...!

DESTINY IS ALL.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/11/2017 6:04:11 AM #10

I thought the first season was alright but could of been much better. The issue for me is that I love the books and its a day and night difference between the two. I like the sets but what kills me is the pace of it. It seems to be constantly be racing ahead much like the disaster that was "Eragon". If I didn't know the story beforehand I'd be into it more but its produced by the BBC who are notorious for going cheap on TV series. I'll probably get around to watching the 2nd season out of curiosity but i'm in no rush to do so.