COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Manipulating water in the Soulborn Engine

Hello!

So it was mentioned in (I believe) a Q&A that it's unlikely we'll see water manipulation such as diverting rivers to create moats for castles etc, as it would be too tough on the engine and servers. That's fine, technology has its limits, but it does beg the question: how will tunneling then interact with rivers?

If you tunnel into a river will there simply be a wall of water there which doesn't move?

If the water isn't able to be manipulated at all would it be possible to excavate around the whole river so that it's floating in the air? And would boats then still be able to sail down this floating river? (This would make for a pretty spectacular view if a city was built below the floating river)

Or will tunnels immediately just collapse up to a certain distance to simulate water flooding them?

Obviously if water will be manipulatable then the questions are moot, but just wondering. :)

Cheers!

5/11/2017 10:39:15 PM #1

Well i think they planned it to be some kind of voxel mechanic but have never read that you would be able to manipulate water would be pretty awesome if it would work,

5/11/2017 11:05:08 PM #2

If I remember correctly from the Q&A they kind've addressed this by saying if you tunnel underground - say under a city - and you hit a water table, then you'll just die and the tunnel will close and flood. I imagine that it would operate the same for if you attempted to tunnel under a river? There is every possibility I heard that wrong though haha

5/11/2017 11:09:16 PM #3

Posted By Magykstorm at 12:05 AM - Fri May 12 2017

If I remember correctly from the Q&A they kind've addressed this by saying if you tunnel underground - say under a city - and you hit a water table, then you'll just die and the tunnel will close and flood. I imagine that it would operate the same for if you attempted to tunnel under a river? There is every possibility I heard that wrong though haha

It seems like the most logical and easy to program solution for sure. More logical, if less entertaining, than flying rivers at any rate. :D

5/24/2017 9:03:23 AM #4

Kind of disappointing, as diverting rivers would allow more flexibility when it comes to colonization.

5/24/2017 9:09:06 AM #5

Dynamic fluids are an enormously resource intensive collection of processes. As much as I'd love to see an open world with rivers you can divert, canals and irrigation trenches you can dig, it's just not going to happen current technology.

I'd imagine the solution will either be to kill the player and close the tunnel, depositing their corpse further up the way, or to simply disable digging under and too close to rivers and waterways.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/24/2017 9:15:39 AM #6

would be neat but i'm not disappointed. water manipulation ads a whole new level of greifing into the game. though the intention would be good the general player base would ruin it.

5/24/2017 9:55:52 AM #7

Oh, also one small thing - the Soulborn engine directs the storytelling, quest generation, events et cetera. The world engine, what generates the physical world, the lighting, is Unreal Engine 4, and the physics engine is Havok (build into Unreal).

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/24/2017 10:21:33 AM #8

The water manipulation is a little different than your describing in the opening post. It's not that it can't change, it's that is can't "manipulate".

Basically meaning if you dig a canal into a water source, you won't see water drain into the canal and fill up while the water source lowers based on the amount that was removed from it.

I have experience in creating other games back when Half Life 2 was a popular game to Mod, and water was a similar issue back then.... but that doesn't mean you could never hide or disguise what was happening to make a similar effect.

So for example, if you dug the canal and connected it to a water source, in theory you could tell the game to create a new section of water (a box with a water texture), and spawn this at the bottom of the canal, which quickly rises to the level of the water source, and then stops raising. All the time there is a sprite effect of spilling water in between the old water source and the new canal. The original water would not move in the slightest, but it would give the appearance of overflowing. There would be no water manipulation happening, just new water being added to an area.

The same effect would work for the example described in the OP, but on a much bigger scale.... however it would probably never get to that point as the water would never appear to be floating.

I'm not saying SBS would do it this way, it would just be one way of doing a water filling effect without actually having water manipulation.

The mistake most people make about water in games is that they think the water is actually moving, when it isn't, it's just an animated texture, the water itself stays still and is unmoving

5/25/2017 2:36:04 PM #9

Would this be a cause for permadeath? I could see it be justifiable since if the tunnel collapses then you wouldn't be able to recover the body unless someone dug it out.

UDL