COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
So how did this gaming hobby start for you? A Reddoggybone gameing history.

What got you into the gaming craze and become addicted to playing games of any sort on the computer, or tv.

My family always played all sorts of games while I was growing up in the 60's and 70's. Thanksgiving weekend and XMAS through New Years were near non stop gaming marathons. Be it card gambling games or Monopoly it was always a source, often the only one, for us to bond with each other. Often alcohol was involved and I remember at an early age, around 5 or 6 being taught by my mother and Aunt how to properly mix the milk with their whisky so it wouldn't curdle while they played cards. The men drank it on the rocks. LOL. Usually Old Grandad or JWR. Black label was way to expensive and only for special occassions.

These games were very competitive and often involved verbal fights and taunting between the players with long periods of a player not coming by to play any more. The women were often worse than the men. Especially my mother's oldest sister. She could be brutal. I or any child was not allowed to play the adult games until we were 13. This included Monopoly or any other game except the card games. Them you had to be much older as money was involved. And they all could get pretty rough at times. And if you didn't show a moderate understanding of how to play the game at that age, down you sat. Losing was fine but stupid mistakes that cost others the game was not tolerated.

I learned early on how to play the other players against each other. Like my much older brother and sister hated each other. So I knew that my sister never cared about wining the game. All she wanted to do was make sure my brother didn't. She started calling me the Jackal and messing me up instead of my brother when she realized my strategy was to wait for her to attack my brother then move in and wipe out the weakened victor. Risk comes to mind for that strategy. Or how when playing a Avalon Hill board gladiator game my brother and I would totally randomly seem to always cut my fathers groin out(or off) and how mad he would get when it kept happening and how he said we did it on purpose no matter how hard we explained it was the roll of the dice that did it. LOL.My nephew waited his turn to play and when he was allowed he acted like a whiny spoiled brat and it became my job to taunt him for behaving this way because my brothers wife got mad if he did it.

Often we would alter the game to fit are needs and make it better, in our eyes. The above gladiator game was made for two but we changed the rules so 3 could fight at once. When playing sports games we made up leagues, drafted our teams and made set rules of what we could and couldn't do. We had a board car racing game that we changed the rules so much it barely resembled the game we originally bought. But we loved all the changes as they were all voted on and tried out before introduced as a rule.We even gave trophies and gift certificates to the winner.

Then the Odyssey game system came out in the mid 70's it was $100. A kings ransom in those days and it was horrible!

http://www.thegameconsole.com/magnavox-odyssey-game-console/

Not much more than pong with 12 or so overlays you TAPED onto the tv to play other games. LOL. We played that until our fingers were raw. Then we moved onto actual computer games in the 80's and it was common for the hand controllers to be broken or thrown at the monitor in fits of rage. Resulting in the offender being forced to buy two of whatever he broke and being banned from playing for a week.

But I wasn't truly addicted until this game came out. Empire.

http://www.classicempire.com/

It was around 1990 or even earlier and all it was was a blank screen with one little army or settler on it and you had to explore, open the generated map up and build more units civ style until you conquered the world. After that it was all over for me. Back then there was no game stop to buy the games from. There were only mom and pop stores run by computer enthusiast that were located few and far between. Living near Manhattan meant I had two places I could buy from within an hour of my house. LOL. People would actually make their own games, put the floppy disc in a baggy and print out the rules with a typewriter. Even the bigger games were not much more than this and you might see a new game every 3 months or so at best. Except at xmas. Then you might see 2 or 3 new ones.

And OMG getting the game to actually work. You literally could spend weeks trying to get it to work on your computer as there was absolutely NO standard between one computer and the next. Then you had to mess with the base 640k memory to make the computer have enough memory for the game.. Then they came out with extended memory that boosted it to 1000k. More manipulation and finally expanded memory that boosted it even further and complicated the manipulations because expanded was treated differently somehow than the other two.

We were always into fantasy so The first Bards Tale was a staple and oh so many others. Meridian 59 introduced my brother and I to MMO's and shortly after Ultima on line. Then EQ and EQ2. never played Wow as I didn't like the cartoony graphics compared to EQ2. Which both came out the same week I thinkAnd so here I am.

5/14/2017 5:20:03 PM #1

When I was a kid, my mom and grandma would often play board games with me, such as Monopoly, Scrabble, WordUp. Uno, etc. I liked board games, but my brother didn't as much so it was often hard for me to find somebody to play with.

When I Was about 8 or 9 years old, my grandpa got me and my brother Gameboy Pockets for Christmas. He got us one game each: My brother got Jurassic Park, and I got Batman. Batman was the first game I ever played, and I liked it!

Not long after that, my mom got us games, too. She got me Pokemon Blue and my brother Pokemon Red. Pokemon Blue was the first RPG I ever played. And I liked it so much more. I was hooked!

Maybe a year later, we got a SNES, and our first games were Zelda and Super Mario Bros (it came with 4 games in one, SMB1, SMB2, SMB3, and SMB: Lost Levels). I had many fun times with Zelda and SMB, bonding with my brother (about 2 years younger than me) and growing up with video games as my main passion.

When I was in 7th grade, my brother ended up being bed-ridden for a while when he got a brain tumor. :-\ The doctor suggested the Internet as a way for him to pass the time, and he recommended the game Neopets. Yup, a doctor perscribed Neopets. lol...I saw my brother playing Neopets and I was like "hey, that looks fun!" so I joined him. That was the first time I got interested in the Internet.

That passion evolved into playing Horseland (a game similar to Neopets, but with horses) and sneaking away to my grandma's house to play it because my mom only let me on the Internet for an hour a day. I'd get busted, though, when she'd call my grandma and the line was busy! lol

My passion for playing games on the computer grew even more when I discovered Ultimate Risk (aka Risk II), Sim City 2000, and Civilization II. I played those games endless hours. I'd stay up late at night playing them, and often get in trouble. xD

EDIT: I left a significant portion of time out: the high school dayz! ...Around 7th grade through 10th grade, my gaming addiction evolved into the Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, and PlayStation 1 & 2, but my main favorite games from those systems were Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis (GBA), Lost Kingdoms II (GC), and Brigandine (PS1). No story about my gaming history is complete without mentioning them! My brother and I would bring our GBA's and GC with us camping, and just sit in the camper or around the campfire playing TO:KoL and LK2. xD My mom and step-dad kind of didn't like it -- they'd rather us socialize and enjoy nature -- but alas, there was no stopping us! "Go to the park", they'd say, and we'd go...but bring our GBA's with us. Hehehe...</EDIT>

But in August of 2009 was the first time I played an MMORPG. My brother introduced me to this game he was playing called Shaiya. I started playing that and, not long after, started playing Aika (a couple of my Shaiya friends itnroduced me to it). Then a couple years later, a few of my Shaiya friends introduced me to League of Legends, where I met even more friends.

As the years went by, my friends started to play Shaiya, Aika, and LoL less and less, and I had to move on to other MMO's without friends, or single-player games.

I can honestly say, that in all my 20+ years of gaming, I've never had as much fun as I did in 2009 ~ 2013 playing Shaiya, Aika, and League of Legends. Things have gone downhill since then. I hope Chronicles of Elyria will be the game to make me relive the glory days!

5/14/2017 5:23:17 PM #2

It all started with Monster Truck Madness and Flight Simulator when I was very little.

I'm not a doctor.

5/14/2017 6:01:31 PM #3

At first with monopoly cards and chess, first game i played online was settlers 3 - got me hooked for quite a while. First MMO for me was WoW and after that no game has hooked me for more than a year - hopefully elyria will change that.

5/17/2017 3:10:04 AM #4

Both my parents are "first generation" nerds. I grew up getting stomped by my mom in Joust on our Atari ST, playing Gauntlet with my dad or watching both playing Das Schwarze Auge (Realms of Arkania in english) with their friends. I have been learning DSA and BattleTech rules and Chess before I even started school. Nerd was the only passible path for me :P

Constant optimism will not solve your problems, but it will annoy enough people to be worth the effort.

5/17/2017 7:05:22 AM #5

Grew up my entire life with games, man. From all the original sega and Nintendo consoles (animal crossing, Pokemon... you name it) to PlayStation, PS2 and Xbox, then in 3rd grade I found runescape and played that up until about high school.

Additionally, I played 2 games competitively on the PsP--Coded Arms: Contagion and Medal of Honor Heroes 2; I got in the top 5 on the leaderboards. ^.^

Then I nolifed mw2 online since release, playing many single player RPGs and computer games (such as Stick Arena: Ballistic) in between. There was no preventing this fate lol

Nowadays I play a wide variety of games on the PS4... working to save money for a mini beast of a gaming desktop setup for CoE. Consoles will be kissed goodbye from then on. 😜👌🏻

My ongoing biography, as written by the community:

Posted By annfrank at 04:15 AM - Tue Apr 11 2017

I'm woke AF

Posted By Apaukolypse at 05:31 AM - Fri Apr 21 2017

I like memes

¯_(ツ)_/¯

5/17/2017 7:34:29 AM #6

When I was growing up in the 90s my parents were into the Sega Megadrive - they used to play Sonic, Golden Axe, Street Fighter, so those were the first games I ever played. Then I graduated to my own original grey block Game Boy, with a copy of Pokemon Yellow and a sort of compilation cartridge called "20 in 1" with 20 classic games like the original Mario, Pong, et cetera.

Then when it came out, my parents got my sister and I the original PlayStation, and after that they stopped playing themselves and it was just my sister and I. Ape Escape, Team Buddies and Lara Croft formed the backbone of my PS1 experience. Then it was on to PS2, then Xbox 360, and finally on to PC gaming, where I mostly game today! Two years ago I bought my first desktop computer, and just over a month ago I finally built my dream gaming pc.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/17/2017 8:02:34 AM #7

legend of zelda and age of empires/warcraft 1-2. my dad owned a small computer tech business at the time so he would let me play games and got us kids our own computer for gaming. pretty much been gaming since. occasionally taking breaks if work is demanding or if i have a gf that is high maintenance.