COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Soulborn Speculation: The Guts of the Engine

Warning! The post which you are about to read contains postulation, assumptions, terrible analogies and walls of text. Everything which you read here should be taken with a large chunk of rock salt. TLDR at the bottom of the post.

Since not a whole lot is known about the Soulborn engine and how it works I decided, in a temporary fit of insanity, to take it upon myself to present a detailed explanation of how something like the Soulborn engine might possibly work. Keep in mind that since this is written entirely from the top of my head, things may not always make sense, and I can almost guarantee that the contents of this post will not be wholly accurate to the game itself. My goal is to give people an idea of "how can a computer give me an interesting story?".

From this point on, I will be using "the Soulborn Engine" and "the Engine" interchangeably.

If you've made it this far, I'm assuming you're on board the crazy train, so let's get started.

Part 1: What is the Soulborn Engine's role in the game?

If Chronicles of Elyria were a tabletop RPG, the Engine would be the Dungeon Master. The greatest Dungeon Master ever, managing thousands of sessions simultaneously within the same world. The Engine's job is to facilitate the telling of stories. Due to Elyria being a MMORPG, the Engine doesn't necessarily need to do anything in this regard as players can have encounters with each other which create stories.

Instead of lining up encounters and skill checks for players to do at all times, the Engine can hang back and watch for people whose stories are going stale, and start dropping some plot hooks by manipulating the world around them.

Part 2: The Agenda

The Engine has two primary goals:

1) Advance the Grand Story (if it even exists!)

2) Facilitate the creation of interesting side stories

On the former, nobody really knows what the Grand Story will be besides SBS, but the Engine will try its best to slowly drive us along this path as needed. I see this as either the higher order conflicts between kingdoms (Civilization style), or potentially something of a more sinister, PvE nature like the awakening of the Old Gods

On the latter, the Engine is always watching players' lives unfold. While players will likely be creating a lot of stories on their own, the Engine will occasionally have to step in and shake things up.

The engine will, of course, always look for an opportunity to advance its agenda.

Part 3: What makes a story?

At its absolute simplest, a story is the encounter and resolution of a conflict of any kind. Conflicts can be a fight (mann vs mann), hunting (mann vs beast), traversing a landscape (mann vs Elyria), moral quandaries or physical injuries (mann vs self) or anything in between.

Plot hooks lead to encounters, which contain conflicts that, through the act of resolution, develop your character. Character Development in this sense can refer to both RP character personality development, and also mechanical character deveopment in the form of skill increases.

Part 4: Life, Mathified

If there's any one thing computers are good at, it is math. As such, the best way for the Engine to work with people is through turning "Life" into math.

For the sake of explanation, let's assume we have a chicken farmer. At daybreak Elyrian Time, he goes out to feed his chickens, then collect their eggs. He lets them out shortly after so he can clean the pen. At noon Elyrian Time he goes into the city to trade his eggs for some goods at Carl's General Store. At sundown Elyrian Time, he brings his chickens in, has dinner and goes to sleep.

Each action, time, location, and object can be assigned some numeric value. For example: daybreak (06:00), feed chicken (action 128 on object 15347), at some farm (latitude 45.76, longitude -23.8) We can turn this into a useable number through some (completely arbitrary) math.

600+(15347 mod 128)*(45.76/23.80) which is roughly 821.

From here we can let statistics take over, and look for a certain percentage variation in this chicken farmer's life. A large variation might be that the chicken farmer doesn't go to Carl's General Store that day and instead visits a travelling merchant, while a small variation might be that he checks the chickens' nests for eggs in a different order.

I'm not great with statistics, so I don't know how exactly that kind of thing works, also the equation I used is probably terrible.

If the engine sees little variation in a character's daily activities over however long a period, it may decide to step in to spice things up.

Part 5: What can the Engine do?

Looping back to the analogy that the Engine is Elyria's Dungeon Master, it has direct influence over just about every aspect of the game. Through the use of some arcanery involving your soul, sign, birth date, and powdered Dryas Elk horns, it can decide on a set of plot hooks which make up your "destiny", the things the Engine would like for you to do. Of course, it can use more hooks than just that. It can also make hooks based on your activities and the activities of those around you.

Take our chicken farmer from the last part. His "destiny" might be to be a Trison breeder, so one particularly dull day the Engine coerces a stray Trison onto his farm and it just throws a chicken at him because it's a jerk. Alternatively, he might discover that one of his chickens is molting early and has contracted some kind of pox (sorry not sorry) and needs to do something to keep the malady from spreading.

Plot hooks can take all kinds of forms, and are likely to be the only direct interaction the Engine has with the world. I personally don't believe the Engine will directly manipulate things most of the time, instead preferring to simply push things in a certain way. The exceptions being natural disasters and talents.

Natural disasters (floods, earthquakes, locust clouds, etc.) are certainly very good plot devices, but they affect a massive amount of people, and as such should be reserved for creating story at a higher order than the person, or even the hamlet.

Talents on the other hand, are massive plot devices, and will affect everything a Talented person is associated with, right up to the highest order of play. Though not quite apocalypse level, the sheer existence of a Talented person will send waves throughout society. I personally view Talents as a reward for exceptional RP, with a smattering of "destiny". If you set yourself apart from others through your stories, or maybe advance the Engine's agenda, the Engine/SBS may decide "hey, this guy deserves a Talent because he'd make good stories with it, also destiny says he was born with one"

Part 6: Conclusion

TLDR; The Soulborn Engine is the Dungeon Master of Chronicles of Elyria, it facilitiates the telling of stories and does its best to keep things interesting for everyone in the world. Because Math and Destiny

If you've made it this far, Congratulations! You're just as crazy as I am! I hope this post has helped give inquiring minds an idea of just how the Engine might work, or at the very least provokes some thought on the subject.

5/15/2017 6:58:47 AM #1

You've pretty much got the same premise as I do with how the engine will be meddling with our characters daily lives.

However I also doubt SBE will simply let it run amok. Caspian will waiting in the wings ready to pull levers as required. At the very least to squash bugs and refine this ground breaking tech.

Lol, I just thought that bugs could provide some comic value, taking your example of the wandering Trison; what if a bug caused this event to happen daily! The poor chicken farmer will be running out of grazing space before month end.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/15/2017 7:12:09 AM #2

puts on his favorite tinfoil hat. what if COE is just a proof of concept for his engine, and that it was never intended to be a great game but instead as a means to provide the money required to develop a DM mimiking engine that could then be sold to other companies for game development. eye twitches

p.s 100% joking.

5/15/2017 10:06:15 AM #3

Posted By annfrank at 08:12 AM - Mon May 15 2017

puts on his favorite tinfoil hat. what if COE is just a proof of concept for his engine, and that it was never intended to be a great game but instead as a means to provide the money required to develop a DM mimiking engine that could then be sold to other companies for game development. eye twitches

p.s 100% joking.

Joking aside, there would be nothing wrong with that. It would have to be good at its job to be marketable. Just like the game engine that CoE is built on.

5/15/2017 11:52:01 AM #4

If this is what insanity brings about, then I'm all for it!

5/15/2017 12:21:20 PM #5

Wonderfully written and a great take on "The Engine" itself I think!

Just a quick question, aren't there 3 levels of story per character though? There's your personal destiny, based on birth date/time/area. Then there's the regional story which is largely player driven but, in the case of stagnation, can be injected by The Engine (speculation). Lastly, there's the overarching story (read as 10 year story).

I have seen the posts on here equating the Soulborn Engine to a procedural generation monster but I'm with you. I think it's much more than that!

Hope it helps...

5/15/2017 12:23:53 PM #6

But, will it blend?

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/15/2017 12:27:40 PM #7

Interesting to say the least though this is a real easy way to explain it to less techy people while still provoking some thought from superior minds

5/15/2017 1:53:05 PM #8

Al Hail the great engine!

5/15/2017 2:09:00 PM #9

I am very interested in seeing the details of the Soulborn Engine. It's one of the concepts that really intrigues me about CoE, and we don't have many details about it at all. I'm very interested in seeing how it plays out in elyeriaMUD

Shieldwall Strong!

5/15/2017 2:30:18 PM #10

Posted By Vexirion

From here we can let statistics take over, and look for a certain percentage variation in this chicken farmer's life. A large variation might be that the chicken farmer doesn't go to Carl's General Store that day and instead visits a travelling merchant, while a small variation might be that he checks the chickens' nests for eggs in a different order.

I'm not great with statistics, so I don't know how exactly that kind of thing works, also the equation I used is probably terrible.

If the engine sees little variation in a character's daily activities over however long a period, it may decide to step in to spice things up.

It would be certainly peculiar that the range of activities of a character were based in a simple probability function like the normal distribution.

5/15/2017 5:44:05 PM #11

That's a very fun thought experiment you have there.
Mind if I cut in?

I had never considered a lot of what you brought up in the context of side quests, that's really awesome!
However, for the main story, I imagine it'll do more than manipulate via statistics... my educated guess would be that it also allows its outcomes to be manipulated through massive numbers gathering, directing a story through emergence rather than suggestion.

For example, each "plot hook" that is dropped could lead to a pivotal choice for the advancement of one's character.
After a farmer finds an ancient amulet buried in his field, does he sell it to the underworld boss who's offered him money, or does he bring it to the local church elder?
If players collectively decide to influence things one way or another, it could guide a main story through a small series of "branches" from its "root" narrative.
I'm not talking about huge causality nets, haha...
I'm just talking about a few dynamic story choices that would make the different servers very unique.

I'd also like to adopt the OP's disclaimer about speculation, heresay, blasphemy, etc.

Count of Boros

Luna (NA-E)  Ⓛ  Vornair Ⓥ  Dawn's Reach (The Stormlands)

5/15/2017 11:48:30 PM #12

Posted By Hludowig at 10:30 AM - Mon May 15 2017

Posted By Vexirion

It would be certainly peculiar that the range of activities of a character were based in a simple probability function like the normal distribution.

Oh yeah, it certainly wouldn't be JUST a normal distribution. My initial visual representation I made for myself was some kind of unholy scatter plot, where each point represents a usual action over a given time period, with a larger box around each point dictating the "acceptable variance".

So each day your actions would be compared against this chart to test for "variability", then the closest point or two would be shifted slightly due to account for this new action.

... It makes sense to me from a programming perspective, but it also sounds like a load of bullocks from a mathematical one.

Posted By PixiePunchPie at 8:21 AM - Mon May 15 2017

Just a quick question, aren't there 3 levels of story per character though? There's your personal destiny, based on birth date/time/area. Then there's the regional story which is largely player driven but, in the case of stagnation, can be injected by The Engine (speculation). Lastly, there's the overarching story (read as 10 year story).

In the case of my OP, I considered the story as being at each level of play. Where the 1st level is Solo play (destiny, personal struggles), 2nd level is interpersonal play (day to day interactions with others), 3rd level is mayoral, and so on. Using this system a regional story would be a "4th level" story, which is initiated by something happening at the duchy level, like a locust swarm razing farms across multiple villages.

6/1/2017 6:03:29 AM #13

So just heard about this game today, been watching videos and reading forums for hours, and I'm curious as to the potential of the engine as well. I have also pledged for star citizen, and they are planning an extremely similar AI driven procedural quest type system. They call theirs subsumption, where each NPC they make will have their own wants, desires, capabilities and so forth. If they can deliver on the combat and the AI/dynamic world that they are promising here, I'm totally in. I'm already having to restrain myself from dropping $250 for a baron package right now.