COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Possible Talent Idea

Hi all i am very new to the community however i thought i'd take this opportunity to voice an idea i had for a possible talent, I am very open to constructive criticism on it and welcome any input on ways to improve the talent. I will say that this talent is geared towards players who'd like to venture on the dark side of the game with a high risk/reward while still having an option for players who walk in the light :)

The general idea is: Born with talent to loot particular item from caves/dungeon chests. This item would be a dark relic weapon with an ability to 'steal' talents from players killed by the owner while it's equipped.

While this is a powerful ability equipping this weapon would taint the soul giving negative/hostile reputation with any churches/religious kingdoms. Using this ability would be similar to looting a dead players corpse with a 6 second cast time and a cost of 1 soul fragment per cast (2.5hr CD). Would also only be usable on those with discovered talents. high chance of losing 'stolen' talents on death. As well as a final penalty of extra soul frag lost on death due to tainted status

-This item can be inherited to next soul at cost of losing a random amount of 'stolen' talents.-

For those who walk in the light and are born with this talent and loot the relic they may hand it in at a church/religious organisation for a talent reroll along with a clue as to what it's requirements are.

While i do enjoy the idea of this skill thief type gameplay i can also see how making someone lose a discovered talent is a major impact so perhaps instead it simply rerolls the talent. I like the idea of being a power hungry criminal and a pariah among talent owners.

I understand this is a potentially overpowered talent however i think the risk balances it out rather well as well as it making you a likely target of PVP.

Please share any comments or ideas as i'd love some feedback :)

5/17/2017 11:48:53 AM #1

Hi, and welcome to the community! It's great that you're thinking about potential new talents for CoE, and rest assured that the devs are keeping an eye on the forums for particularly outstanding ideas to add to the game. There are a few problems with this particular idea, however:

The idea of talent-stealing talents has been brought up by the community a number of times, and has been vetoed by the community and the devs as potentially too much like wishing for more wishes.

While tying a talent to a particular item is interesting, talents are abilities that a person has. What you are suggesting is less like a talent and more like a mystical item.

Talents will NOT be inheritable. Talents are attached to bodies, not souls; this has been confirmed by the development team.

All that said, keep thinking about the mechanics of CoE, keep suggesting improvements, keep starting conversations! Even potentially unworkable ideas can lead to new ideas or improvements to existing ones.

Something you might be happy to hear - the existence of vampires in CoE has been confirmed by Caspian. Vampires consume spirit and Souls from players, shortening their lifespan and potentially absorbing their soul wholesale. Doing so to a player with an activated talent absorbs that talent. Vampires no longer have souls, and absorbing a soul from another player both makes THEM a vampire, and makes their soul unplayable until that vampire's death. Check the official Wiki and the forums for more info!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/17/2017 11:07:39 PM #2

Thanks for the feedback, Interesting to hear about the vampires. And as for the item while it does come across as a more mystical item it would be tied to the soul via a resonance/compatability (making looting this item the key to unlocking the talent while tying it to the item) it being an item in nature was aimed to give players the choice to equip (accept the talent) or trade it in for a talent reroll (as no one wants to get stuck with a evil/bad talent when they wanna play as good guys). Once the initial item is obtained in order to make it focus more on PVP risk/reward i thought it would be interesting to make the item lootable via PVP/passing on at the cost of reducing the talents current strength,

5/20/2017 7:37:35 AM #3

That was interesting about vampires. Very pen & paper.

Talents are a very weird thing. You may get one if your lucky, but you also may never unlock it. Which may mean you never learn about it. But I do like the idea of a mythical item to discover if you have a talent hidden on a character.

Also "evil" is what you make of it. This actually falls back on the age old question is necromancy evil or energy. If you think a talent or item is evil and you want to be good, don't use it. I think a reroll defeats the purpose. Being good doesn't mean doing good until something more powerful comes around, its a choice. Biding your time or being optimistic just makes you more patient for your evil schemes.