COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
How significant is the notorierty boost from tokens?

So, just read the post here: https://chroniclesofelyria.com/news/19399/Part-of-Something-Noble-and-Purposeful

We finally learn what tokens do, and for the most part I've got no problems with them. Getting more starting villagers and the occasional parcel is fine for what you are paying.

What worries me a bit is that each token also raises your villages notoriety which draws more NPC's to it as well as spreading word about your village by word of mouth.

The question is, how significant is this notoriety boost from tokens? If I'm a mayor of a village and work on growing my village and need to bring in more villagers, am I going to be able to get more villagers when competing with people that have a significant notoriety boost from tokens? Do I need to build a house and a new crafting station to get the same amount of notoriety as a token?

I'm just curious as to how much of an effect this has on drawing in new villagers, because right now I'm a bit worried that I'm going to put a lot of work into building up my village and find that it ends up being a ghost town because all the villagers went to other villages that had a higher "notoriety stat" than mine because of tokens.

5/19/2017 1:42:37 PM #1

Honestly, based on what the settlement tokens grant, that boost is minimal, unless you have hundreds of players in your guild/town giving you loads of tokens, in which case the guild/town would be influential anyway, so it's not much of an advantage.

5/19/2017 1:53:10 PM #2

If it were just my village and one other I don't think there would be an issue, but there are going to be dozens, even hundreds of villages scattered around, so with them having even a slight notoriety advantage over mine could result in the large majority of villagers going to other villages instead of mine.

I don't have an issue with the notoriety boost in itself, my question is how much of a boost is it compared to what you would do in building up notoriety normally.

5/19/2017 1:54:56 PM #3

Something that confuses me as well. I can't see how having a high notoriety would even work really. Cause if you don't have the buildings/land. How it is any better than the guy that came in with no tokens, but does have more buildings/land. That whole, what is better to aim for as a mayor as well.

5/19/2017 1:55:23 PM #4

Posted By Jasta85 at 2:53 PM - Fri May 19 2017

If it were just my village and one other I don't think there would be an issue, but there are going to be dozens, even hundreds of villages scattered around, so with them having even a slight notoriety advantage over mine could result in the large majority of villagers going to other villages instead of mine.

I don't have an issue with the notoriety boost in itself, my question is how much of a boost is it compared to what you would do in building up notoriety normally.

I would imagine that notoriety will be a stat which will attract NPCs only, not players. Players will be aware of the fact that because a town is famous does not mean it's any good - the fact that we're having this conversation right now proves that.

Would you move to a town because it was the most famous in your county, even if it was a bit crap? I'd hope not. Just focus on making your town a good place to live, with good infrastructure and plenty of opportunity, and you'll be okay.

Build it and they WILL come!

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/19/2017 2:07:32 PM #5

We know a few things that affect notoriety already.

1. Size. A capital has a better chance of drawing NPCs in.
  2. Security. If your citizens are robbed over and over less of a chance of new people moving in.
  3. Tax rate. If you tax blacksmiths higher than farmers you will have BSs leave and farmers come in.
  4. Certain buildings. When a town reaches a new tier new buildings are unlocked. And some of those buildings make a settlement more attractive.

Now given what we already know I cannot see how the tokens can add any more than a slight temporary boost at the start. Sort of like how Waterloo may be a famous town but people aren't exactly waiting in line to move in.

5/19/2017 2:14:09 PM #6

Think of it like this, if your town wins, it goes from being locally known to the county, to being known to the majority of people, at LEAST by name.

For Example, If I told you the name of my RL hometown, you wouldn't likely know it, but if I say I live in a suburb of Vancouver, BC, Canada, you pretty much have an idea of where I live within a certain radius.

Capitals have this noteriety via being the seat of the king/queen, your town could be given that same level of noteriety through a major history event taking place there, if you win the contest.Posted By Gunnlang at 06:54 AM - Fri May 19 2017

Something that confuses me as well. I can't see how having a high notoriety would even work really. Cause if you don't have the buildings/land. How it is any better than the guy that came in with no tokens, but does have more buildings/land. That whole, what is better to aim for as a mayor as well.

Actually, if you are getting lots of tokens, it shows that you have been gathering followers, and thus really have a higher noteriety than someone who doesn't bother.

Let's use hamlet and village to demonstrate, simply for easier maths:

You have a hamlet (3 plots) I have a village (9 plots).

I sit around and do nothing, while you are gathering followers/friends to populate yours. While you have to get a decent number of tokens to get enough land to match me, it's really not that bad.

Caspian said 3 - 5 tokens will give 1 land, so let's be lucky and say every 3 tokens you get a new plot.

3 tokens x 6 land = 18 tokens

If each person wanted they could buy 3 tokens, so you would need a minimum of 6 other people, up to 18 other people, depending on how many tokens each person donates.

The other thing to keep in mind is that when the tokens give the land plots, they won't JUST be land plots that you have to populate yourselves with buildings. NO!

Token land plots will come with the appropriate infrastructure (wells, taverns, etc).

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

5/19/2017 2:18:16 PM #7

Posted By LorenzW at 3:14 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Token land plots will come with the appropriate infrastructure (wells, taverns, etc).

Where are you getting that from? I was under the impression that the parcels being granted were, in fact, empty plots of land to populate.

5/19/2017 2:20:43 PM #8

Posted By Caelestius at 09:18 AM - Fri May 19 2017

Posted By LorenzW at 3:14 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Where are you getting that from? I was under the impression that the parcels being granted were, in fact, empty plots of land to populate.

Ditto. I haven't seen anything about municipal buildings being given on token land plots only that the "city limits" would include an extra plot.

5/19/2017 2:24:47 PM #9

Lots of notoriety points + no structure = NPC Beggars.

My question is: i expect the game to feature also bad notoriety, how does this could work? Not bad notoriety boost, just "bad notoriety" some time after launch.

5/19/2017 2:29:39 PM #10

I was thinking the same as the others, LorenzW. So unless whoever people are giving tokens to, are spending EP to improve their town. It doesn't seem like it would really help overall.

Just heaps of people coming in, but have nowhere to live. Which seems it could be a bad thing in the long run really.

5/19/2017 2:31:42 PM #11

From the token description in the store:

When you give a token, you are contributing to the settlement of the Mayor you give it to.

The more tokens the Mayor receives, the greater the settlement becomes. Each token increases population and, at certain thresholds, tokens will create special Settlement Upgrades that your Mayor can use to increase the city limits, add additional buildings, and more!

Essential buildings and infrastructure. Mayor might have to Place them, but they will be part of getting that plot of land over all.

5/19/2017 2:43:49 PM #12

Posted By LorenzW at 12:31 AM - Sat May 20 2017

The more tokens the Mayor receives, the greater the settlement becomes. Each token increases population and, at certain thresholds, tokens will create special Settlement Upgrades that your Mayor can use to increase the city limits, add additional buildings, and more!

Well go my awesome reading skills. Cheers.

5/19/2017 2:48:18 PM #13

Posted By LorenzW at 09:31 AM - Fri May 19 2017

When you give a token, you are contributing to the settlement of the Mayor you give it to.

Essential buildings and infrastructure. Mayor might have to Place them, but they will be part of getting that plot of land over all.

Ahh I see the misunderstanding now.

The way I read that is if you go from a villiage to a town you have to have a town hall (I believe is the requirement). If you manage to get enough population via tokens there will be a prefab town hall with the needed stuff to make it work. In short you won't have a village with 900 NPCs and no municipal buildings or infrastructure to support them.

I misread your original comment as something super secrete like a tier 5 cathedral or something else rare.

Yeah I failed reading comprehension myself.

5/19/2017 2:51:39 PM #14

Posted By Malais at 5/19/2017 2:48:18 PM

Posted By LorenzW at 09:31 AM - Fri May 19 2017

Ahh I see the misunderstanding now.

The way I read that is if you go from a villiage to a town you have to have a town hall (I believe is the requirement). If you manage to eat enough population via tokens there will be a prefab town hall with the needed stuff to make it work.

I misread your original comment as something super secrete like a tier 5 cathedral or something else rare.

Yeah I failed reading comprehension myself.

I too see where you're coming from now! I'm not 100% sure that the token will translate directly to a Town Hall or the equivalent, but it does seem like every once in a while a token will gift a building BP or materials. That does NOT, however, mean that every plot of land will come pre-populated with a piece of infrastructure, which is how your original comment read.

5/19/2017 2:57:13 PM #15

Heh, there's good reason I was paid to teach. ;) I can explain things ten different ways! :P

Yes, I was referencing basics such as town hall, well, etc. I'm also assuming basic residential buildings that come along with the NPCs per token. Since it's procedural generation, basic constructs shouldn't be too hard to program in.

IE:

This many NPCs = such and such number of plots = X number of wells, Y number of houses, Z numbers of other etc.