COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Mayor of Nomadic Village?

I've been contemplating upping my contribution to Mayor level, however I need a very important question answered.

Will it be possible to choose a nomadic/roaming village as my home village if I were to be a Mayor?

Or would it be better to enter as I am at Merchant tier into a nomadic village. And then to do essentially the same building as a mayor - buy more EP in order to contribute to the expansion/detailing of the village eventually setting myself up to become Mayor as the game starts.

The reason I ask is because the titles all seem to be tied to LAND and a nomadic village wouldn't necessarily have land they actually own.

If someone has already gotten the answer to this I would appreciate a response. If they have not, then i pray and sacrifice to SBS to provide an answer.

5/19/2017 5:34:20 PM #1

Caspian talks about this in brief during one of the videos. I don't recall which one though.

5/19/2017 6:13:21 PM #2

I pulled a couple of questions from a Q&A that may answer or give you some info..In short the answer seems to be yes.

Q:

Will it be possible to live a truly nomadic or gypsy lifestyle? I see gypsy and merchant wagons in the IP table but could these be used as mobile homes? Children need to be born into a house with an extra room, is there a way around this for a nomad, ie extra gypsy wagon? also will any crafting be mobile? obviously you can't bring a forge and anvil on the road but could you be a tailor, leatherworker, fletcher type crafter in a gypsy wagon? basically, do you need a house to be able to full function?

A:

We have a bit of a compromise for someone looking to live a nomadic lifestyle. While you can caravan around the world and use that as your crafting base for many skills, you cannot use a caravan as your only housing for children. You must have a stationary house with enough bedrooms for your family. And, because of the Adverse Possession rules, you (or a family member) must visit that house every 28 real-world days. That doesn't mean you really have to live there, but that you must own it.

Q:

Will the "town" designation be flexible enough to include nomadic towns? (As in a collection of wagons acting as housing.)

A:

It will be possible; the game will support it. But it would be much more likely to be an organization/association/guild than a kingdom/town. Short answer is yes.

5/19/2017 6:43:44 PM #3

Squints

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/19/2017 6:49:26 PM #4

The mayor pledge gives you a stationary town. If you want to be nomadic, you'll have to get a ton of wagons and somehow convince everybody to go with you, which is far easier said than done.

5/19/2017 9:41:15 PM #5

well, they have said that you can set up a village anywhere right? you don't have to pick a pre-existing village during exposition? It'll be harder to start something from scratch, but if i'm in a location where nomads are a part of tribal culture, then it should make it easier.

Is that string of logic sound?

5/19/2017 9:48:30 PM #6

If you are at least a mayor package , settlement selection comes before exposition. It means you'll have to pick an existing settlement. If you want to start a nomadic town, you'll start from scratch, but you'll have the support of your existing town.

5/19/2017 9:49:16 PM #7

Posted By Alifa at

I've been contemplating upping my contribution to Mayor level, however I need a very important question answered.

Will it be possible to choose a nomadic/roaming village as my home village if I were to be a Mayor?

Or would it be better to enter as I am at Merchant tier into a nomadic village. And then to do essentially the same building as a mayor - buy more EP in order to contribute to the expansion/detailing of the village eventually setting myself up to become Mayor as the game starts.

The reason I ask is because the titles all seem to be tied to LAND and a nomadic village wouldn't necessarily have land they actually own.

If someone has already gotten the answer to this I would appreciate a response. If they have not, then i pray and sacrifice to SBS to provide an answer.

I do not see how this will work in regards with property rights in game? Each time you decide to set a camp for your nomadic settlement you will have to make a contract with property owner or face consequences of not doing it. What will you do if nobles refuse to allow you to set up camp and you are deep in their territory ? Some counties will be huge. I can see you being semi-nomadic, by making deals with few nobles of having seasonal settlements...but will that be cost effective?

5/19/2017 9:56:47 PM #8

I don't know the details of nomadic lifestyle - but Caspian has said in Q&As that it is possible. This is why i'm asking for details regarding said option.

5/19/2017 10:01:15 PM #9

Posted By Apaukolypse at 1:43 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Squints

Um... Marembe actually means hello in one of the Luhya dialects in Kenya. But my guild has started calling me Harambe... i have a feeling my town name is going to change very quickly as my fellow seekers make every map to name it Harambe. :D

5/19/2017 10:12:13 PM #10

Posted By Alifa at

Another possible might be to talk to the Duke or Count in your area and see if you could trade your town to them for a group of wagons and a house in that town (for your kids), then you'd be able to possibly have the nomadic lifestyle you're looking for.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/20/2017 3:24:11 AM #11

Posted By Joreel at 5:12 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Posted By Alifa at

Another possible might be to talk to the Duke or Count in your area and see if you could trade your town to them for a group of wagons and a house in that town (for your kids), then you'd be able to possibly have the nomadic lifestyle you're looking for.

That's an idea for sure.

5/20/2017 4:42:48 AM #12

I don't think this question will be answered until after the tribes information has been released. Rumour has it that one of the tribes may be somewhat nomadic in nature. If that is so it doesn't necessarily mean that those who choose that biome to select their settlement from will be choosing nomadic settlements to choose from. It could well be that in such a biome/culture we'd be choosing the permanent settlements that the nomads travel between on their migration rounds - settlements built up around oases (water, food) and providing hubs for commerce and services that the nomadic groups rely on.

Considering in that quote you gave above Caspian said that if you do choose a nomadic lifestyle you would still need a permanent base with the necessary bedrooms to have children, and that you would still need to have a family member to check in every 28 days to prevent adverse possession, it would seem that even if you went a nomadic route you would still need a permanent "home port" for your travelling village. I suppose however it's possible that "permanent settlements" could be merely a base camp that a nomadic group returns to every winter or something of the like as traditional migratory groups tend to do. 28 days would be four in-game years and a turn or two on the Elyrian seasonal wheel, so such a cultural practice would work with the game mechanics. Still if this is the case you'd still be choosing a permanent settlement, your base camp or "home port", come selection.

Personally I'd wait for the tribe info. If the settlement in that culture ends up being like the one I described in my first paragraph then it would better off for you to go in as a Merchant with added EP to start off a Merchant Caravan Train with wagons, caravans, mounts, tents and the like to form your nomadic group around instead. The plus to this is that you could do this pretty much with any of the 12 tribes so you are not limited to whichever one is designated to be the nomadic one. If it turns out you can choose a settlement as a base-camp as described in my second paragraph then you can go ahead as Mayor no problem.

Imgur Imgur

5/21/2017 2:20:36 AM #13

Another option may be to take on the role of Mayor during Exposition, select a town as your base, throw in some resources to make it sustainable, claim a land parcel as your own, let your nomadic mates build their houses on your land, then hand over the mayorship at launch to someone who wants it. That way you will own land and housing which can only be taken through adverse possession, although you may need to pay some sort of tax on it. Whether you are able to pay the tax while on the move I don't know, but if not, negotiate to pay it monthly, return to your land once a month to pay it and that takes care of adverse possession.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)