COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Am I missing out by staying out?

Hello, friends! I backed Elyria last year, and since then I've not even looked at anything remotely connected to Elyria. The reason is because I want everything in Elyria to be fresh and new to me when it's released. I haven't read any forum posts, articles, newsletters, nothing.

Today, though, I got to wondering: "Am I missing out by staying out of Elyria-related discussions/articles?"

So, I'm asking you all if you think I should start reading everything I can get my hands on about the game or if it would be okay if I just sat back and relaxed until it was released and learn as I go?

5/19/2017 5:48:26 PM #1

Posted By Indirion at

Hello, friends! I backed Elyria last year, and since then I've not even looked at anything remotely connected to Elyria. The reason is because I want everything in Elyria to be fresh and new to me when it's released. I haven't read any forum posts, articles, newsletters, nothing.

Today, though, I got to wondering: "Am I missing out by staying out of Elyria-related discussions/articles?"

So, I'm asking you all if you think I should start reading everything I can get my hands on about the game or if it would be okay if I just sat back and relaxed until it was released and learn as I go?

To be honest, it really depends on your backer level. If your nobility or have EP to spend, then staying current on the trends and information is critical.

If your part of the gentry, don't have EP to burn, or get bored easily with drip feed info, then forgetting this game exists for a couple of months is a good idea.

TL;DR: If you have exposition access, stay up to date. If not, don't worry about it

5/19/2017 5:52:15 PM #2

Don't worry about missing out on the small details, I would just recommend checking in enough to know when the major dates are coming up (when you get to play the prologue and participate in the MUD and Kingdoms of Elyria). Following every forum post and such is not that important in the grand scheme of things, although it certainly doesn't hurt you. I am assuming you got one of the basic packages and are not part of the nobility however.

5/19/2017 6:02:56 PM #3

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I am part of the gentry. Basic package. Heh, I do even know what EP is, so since I'm not part of the nobility, I'm assuming I don't need to know ;-)

So, I may read a little bit, just to see the major dates coming up and if there's anything that I can participate in on those dates. I'll also read about any gameplay mechanics that may have been added/changed/removed. Other than that, I'll try to stay as blissfully ignorant as possible.

EDIT: Oh, just found out I'm not even part of the gentry. I have the Adventurer's package, it seems, with a pack mule, a backpack, and a few other goodies.

Thanks, again!

5/19/2017 6:03:50 PM #4

Depending on what you want to do in COE, it might be good to get started with building connections with people in the community by joining a group/kingdom/etc. That being said, if you want to be a solo player and DON'T want to be known - then you're fine staying out of things.

No matter your backer level, it always helps to have friends/acquaintances :-)

5/19/2017 6:06:42 PM #5

Posted By Hellmoon at 6:03 PM - Fri May 19 2017

Depending on what you want to do in COE, it might be good to get started with building connections with people in the community by joining a group/kingdom/etc. That being said, if you want to be a solo player and DON'T want to be known - then you're fine staying out of things.

No matter your backer level, it always helps to have friends/acquaintances :-)

I can second this,

-Lord Panzer

UDL

5/19/2017 6:28:12 PM #6

You are missing a lot of salt mate.

EU - Server >Friend Code: 72983B

5/19/2017 6:38:37 PM #7

By staying out and dropping in occasionally you are not missing much, though you might watch a few of the latest Q&As to get a handle on what is going on. With that said, I would definitely stay close in the next few weeks as we were promised more details on the tribes and their biomes which will be interesting. Other than that, I would just pop in once in a while and see what is new.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/19/2017 6:46:23 PM #8

Indirion, one thing I'd like to mention is that I noticed you're Rank 1 (Tier 1 in other words). If you did a pledge (backed) a while back, and the Tier you have now (more info on borders can be found here and which tier you actually are, if not a kickstarter backer is here) is incorrect compared to the one you bought, then you should have received an email on the email you did your transaction with (transaction email may differ from forum email). Log in to that email account on your email website, and follow the steps it tells you, and you should be set. It's been a while, so I may not have given you the full/correct steps, but if you have any troubles, just let us all know, and we may be able to help :)

5/22/2017 11:00:50 PM #9

You should definitely check out DJ #19 Pre-Alpha Experiences

Specifically ElyriaMUD for your backing level.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/22/2017 11:10:05 PM #10

Hail Adventurer! Might you be looking for work?

If so, I need people to explore the lands looking for many minerals and copious quantities of pure sand.

//// LOL, as to your question, at your level it is not "necessary" to play catch up and get involved...

However, if you want to play a part larger than wayward wanderer in initial play, I would say heed the posts above mine.

Good to see people checking in now and again too... nothing wrong with biding your time.

5/22/2017 11:12:29 PM #11

You can be below rank 1, rank 1 is just Elyrian.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

5/22/2017 11:50:34 PM #12

At the level you're backing, multiplied by your desire to be "spoiler free", I think that works well and you don't need to be knee-deep in what's happening. If you were in a tier involved in exposition, for example, I'd be saying hell yes, read everything you can. But on the ground floor, with a desire to have the game surprise you, I say that's totally doable.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/23/2017 10:41:59 PM #13

You miss nothing. People can go weeks without visiting the forums since we havent seen some interesting news in a while.

Since you have adventurer package you can safely go away and come back when we start playing (alpha, beta, etc.). Thats when the game will pick up...

5/24/2017 2:57:48 AM #14

I wish a release was ready. I backed this a long time ago and I'm tired of waiting :/

5/24/2017 3:03:38 AM #15

Posted By AuXFire at 10:57 PM - Tue May 23 2017

I wish a release was ready. I backed this a long time ago and I'm tired of waiting :/

We all are anxious at the anticipation of the game's arrival, my friend, lol. Also, don't forget to link your pledge through your kickstarter email, otherwise you won't receive the rewards from that pledge :)