COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
What is this game

so i understand a little about it, that there's no main story line and that we would age and die and i understand some very basic stuff, but i dont understand like what would i do in this game? do i need to join a group or is it ok to go solo? how would you go about learning a trade? is there a map that explains a bit more of where the towns and villages are gunna be anywhere cause i cant find any.

it seems like a cool game but before i buy a soul id just like to know a bit more

Big T

5/19/2017 9:06:56 PM #1

This is like asking someone to summarise the Encyclopedia Britannica. So I'll let someone else do it. lol

Have you at least read the Dev Journals and watched the Q&A Videos?

5/19/2017 9:08:15 PM #2

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/19/2017 9:23:18 PM #3

Posted By Mindfire at

so i understand a little about it, that there's no main story line and that we would age and die and i understand some very basic stuff, but i dont understand like what would i do in this game? do i need to join a group or is it ok to go solo? how would you go about learning a trade? is there a map that explains a bit more of where the towns and villages are gunna be anywhere cause i cant find any.

it seems like a cool game but before i buy a soul id just like to know a bit more

There is a main storyline. There will be a world story, as well as a unique questline for each player (you can choose to largely ignore either or both if you wish).

You will choose how to spend your time. You could be an adventurer, a miner or lumberjack, open a shop, become a craftsman or an alchemist, trade goods as a merchant, steal goods as a bandit, become an assassin, become a bounty hunter, run a town, county, duchy, or kingdom, join or lead an army... the possibilities are nearly endless.

You don't have to join a group, but you will not have time to advance all your skills, so you will need to buy or barter for goods and services in game. Joining a group may get you better deals, especially if you will be a repeat customer, or able to barter something valuable to your suppliers.

You will start off with some skills based on the occupations of your character's parents. They will likely be able to train you further, or you can find an apprenticeship, a tutor, or read skill books before you set out on your own.

Maps of the starting continent have not been released yet. They should be released sometime in the next few months.

Shieldwall Strong!

5/19/2017 10:21:31 PM #4

Simply put, I like to think of CoE as a medieval life and society simulation. You live a life associated with a person born in to a particular family that holds a particular status within a feudal society. How you live that life is up to you and you can do almost anything you choose within reason, including maintaining the status quo, learning an profession, working, trading, governing/ruling or adventuring and exploring, eventually (or not) marrying, having children and starting or continuing (or not) a dynasty or bloodline.

You may also choose to rebel against the system covertly or openly in an attempt to improve your status in society; however, pretty much like reality, NOTHING in this game will be achieved over night and/or on your own. You will need the cooperation of others in order to achieve your ambitions, whatever they are, and that will take time!

The choices you make will affect others and the choices of others will likewise affect you also. Alliances will be made and broken. There will be political intrigue, scandal, assassination plots, but like in reality, there will be those who just want to live their life free of hassle and controversy, and simply be productive with working and family.

If my understanding is correct, the game is supposed more about social interaction and cooperation (for good or evil, for better or worse) in a life simulation, than merely questing, grinding, leveling, looting and then repeating the process ad nauseum!

I hope that helps and is not too confusing

5/20/2017 2:19:06 AM #5

The best way to give you a short way that I think of it is The Sims, Elder Scrolls, and World of Warcraft combined into one MMORPG. Lol. But ten times better than all of them combined :p

5/20/2017 2:56:34 AM #6

Wait, hold on a minute...

There's a game?

What game?

I thought this was some sort of stock trading exercise!

EU and NA-E markets closed, NA-W is open for another hour and APAC is mid-day. Vornair closed down -0.25, Bordweall even, Tyria and Blackheart currently up +0.25 and +0.50 respectively. Buy orders are up on EPs since last week's market report. Tokens at high trading. Carriages are the hot stock generating buzz right now and carrying high valuation, but we'll have to see how it holds when it goes public in a week. Sparks of Life holding steady at $25.

DPBoD2.jpg

5/20/2017 3:07:26 AM #7

Posted By Ecir_Edyah at 7:56 PM - Fri May 19 2017

There's a game?

What game?

EU and NA-E markets closed, NA-W is open for another hour and APAC is mid-day. Vornair closed down -0.25, Bordweall even, Tyria and Blackheart currently up +0.25 and +0.50 respectively. Buy orders are up on EPs since last week's market report. Tokens at high trading. Carriages are the hot stock generating buzz right now and carrying high valuation, but we'll have to see how it holds when it goes public in a week. Sparks of Life holding steady at $25.

Cough cough I have private sources that claims that the stock price for "Packages" will be rising by 10% starting June 1, 2017.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

5/20/2017 6:24:02 AM #8

Posted By Shady Clown at 04:07 AM - Sat May 20 2017

Cough cough I have private sources that claims that the stock price for "Packages" will be rising by 10% starting June 1, 2017.

Thank you kind sir, i was about to sell my "Packages". I will wait until June.

5/20/2017 6:28:31 AM #9

Posted By Shady Clown at 1:07 PM - Sat May 20 2017

Posted By Ecir_Edyah at 7:56 PM - Fri May 19 2017

There's a game?

What game?

DUDE!!!!

Thats insider trading i gonna report you to SBS!!!!

also you failed to mention NA-W ashlands stocks which were up 4 full points!!!

plus lets not forget the market scare resently where the EP store was linked to a curruption scandal... so glad that god cleared up and busness is back to normal.

heheheh but yes this game is very much hankering back to what UO and everquest used to want to be but could never pull off.

one thing people feel when they come to these games with no clear quest chains and storylines is what do i do? i would ask UO vets what they did for the years they played that game.

i am sure if UO which will be a much lessor game compared to COE could retain gamers for years then well we may need to start a AA for COE hmm

but yes if ur looking for a easy leg start on info for the game try this

i wrote it up when i first found out the game

http://www.theoldergamers.com/chronicles-of-elyria-public-/647053-coe-game-within-game.html

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/20/2017 8:23:32 AM #10

Posted By Mindfire at

so i understand a little about it, that there's no main story line and that we would age and die and i understand some very basic stuff, but i dont understand like what would i do in this game?

Hi. Firstly, apologies for the apparent derailing of the thread. There is a main story line but it's not something that can be disclosed as it would be a "spoiler" :) Think of it as the unknown future of Elyria and prepare to be wowed.

What you do very much depends upon how you want to play. If you imagine yourself back in a bronze age unspoilt world dotted with strange and varied tribes, the beasts of the wild may be dangerous predators, perhaps akin to Avatar in terms of threat in some respects. You might be an intripid explorer putting your life in your hands out in the wilds. You might prefer the safety of your local town. Perhaps the life of a simple blacksmith. You might become a renowned trader, travelling the patrolled roads of Elyria with guards, attempting to avoid roaming creatures and bandits to amass great wealth. Maybe you'll build up such fame and respect that you'll find yourself running the town as it's Mayor one day. Maybe you'll be swordsmen of legend, mercenaries travelling the realm together, being paid vast sums to protect precious cargo and travellers alike, even tracking and hunting bandits, gradually with your own company of men. The thing is, Elyria opens the door to countless possibilities, many of which don't feature in the relatively tamed and spoilt worlds of other MMOs. You can potentually be whatever you seek to be.

do i need to join a group or is it ok to go solo?

As above, either. My recommendation is that if you leave the relative safety and security of settlements, you travel the wilderness with allies. That said, you may opt to live the life of a recluse. To succeed on your own, you'll need your wits about you. There are many dangers in Elyria that encourage it's population to band together. Perhaps though you'll aim to build walls and security yourself and use those outside dangers as a deterrant for others. It's set to be a very exciting dynamic world.

how would you go about learning a trade?

If you back at a sufficient tier you'll likely have an early preview of crafting through Alphas or Betas etc but guides will undoubtedly follow. Ideally you'll pick a suitable family as your start in life. If you want to be a smithy for example, being the child of a blacksmith means you have a forge available, a family home and a heritage in smithing, giving you a headstart in life. Your first requirements are the crafting stations and tools for your profession. The next are the raw materials. Most professions are intended to be inter dependant. If you aim to make anything complex, it's likely you'll need parts from several other trades and gatherers. After that, there are crafting mini games, experience and skill. Bear in mind there's also a mastery system. Becoming a grandmaster blacksmith may require a vast amount of dedication and skill, travelling the world discovering other techniques and plans, researching your own and learning. However, you may become a master of a single item long before an entire field if you devote yourself to it, for example a master swordsmith.

is there a map that explains a bit more of where the towns and villages are gunna be anywhere cause i cant find any.

The server maps aren't out yet as the game is under development. We're seeing updates and previews as they go :) There will be though - maps will vary from local buildings to Settlements, Counties, Duchy Maps, Kingdom maps and more. Don't expect an "easy mode" overhead map though. You'll need to recognise landmarks and find your way, perhaps even seeking new maps in unknown villages.

Hope the above helps. Ask on the forums if you need to know more.

5/20/2017 9:07:47 AM #11

What is this game?

One part Morrowind, two parts Mount & Blade, two parts Log Horizon, scaffolded on a D&D storyboard with the level of detail of a Final Fantasy production. An unfolding story where both players and developers share the reins.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/20/2017 12:27:23 PM #12

Posted By Oracle at 03:23 AM - Sat May 20 2017

Hi. Firstly, apologies for the apparent derailing of the thread.

My bad!

DPBoD2.jpg

6/3/2017 12:25:24 AM #13

aight

Big T

6/3/2017 2:38:02 AM #14

Start from the kickstarter video.

The main gameplay includes the following:

1) Living as part of an ever changing fantasy world (Do not ask me what to do in live)

2) Leaving your own mark in the world in your own way

Never argue with an idiot, cuz he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Vice mayor of Lux Verloren