COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Surnames

I know that characters will have access to more surnames as they accomplish things in-game, which when I first heard of it reminded me of Jaime Lannister in GoT. Do you guys think there will be a Kingslayer Surname for say an assassin who manages to kill a king, and if so do you think to earn it you'd have to Incapacite them, Coupe De Grace them or even be the one to Permakill them? I'm really looking forward to all the cool ways a dedicated player could distinguish themselves in this game, and I can't wait to play a game where players titles actually mean something.

5/20/2017 8:42:25 PM #1

A king slayer surname would be a funny way of getting yourself caught.

5/20/2017 10:09:24 PM #2

Is having a cool surname assassin good as it means you managed to kill someone important or bad because it means you were caught, else nobody would know you did it?

5/20/2017 10:17:09 PM #3

are surnanes not just last names? i feel like you're tallking about tittles. heres a question, will our surnames be custom or will we get to choose from a list?

"your friend here is only mostly dead. there's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. mostly dead is slightly alive."

5/20/2017 10:36:45 PM #4

I'd be surprised if the game copied such an obvious Game of Thrones nickname (it's not really a "title" in that universe), but at the same time I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of name attached to regicide as it's a pretty major act to be involved in.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/20/2017 11:03:52 PM #5

actually kingslayer is kind of slur in GOT that Lanister turns in badge of honor

5/21/2017 1:03:13 AM #6

You're on to something there. I think it would go poorly for an assassin from that kingdom, but could still work as a mark of skill for an assassin that offed a competing king.

When I think of something like "King Slayer" I would apply it more to a random soldier on a battlefield. You know after the war when everyone is telling stories about how "they" were the one that killed the King, but only one is titled Slayer and can prove through that title they accomplished a great feat. Titles would be a great way to prove your skill if you don't have a certificate from a trusted guild (or if there are forgeries running around).

5/21/2017 1:05:46 AM #7

You can use a fake title.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

5/21/2017 1:07:52 AM #8

Titles don't have to be "bestowed" or earned through some sort of actual achievement? If you can just grant yourself a title, then yeah they are pointless.

5/21/2017 2:35:24 AM #9

Posted By Windigo at 5:17 PM - Sat May 20 2017

are surnanes not just last names? i feel like you're tallking about tittles. heres a question, will our surnames be custom or will we get to choose from a list?

They're custom for certain tiers, but after launch they'll be preexisting surnames.

5/21/2017 3:06:37 AM #10

Posted By Kelipski at 9:07 PM - Sat May 20 2017

Titles don't have to be "bestowed" or earned through some sort of actual achievement? If you can just grant yourself a title, then yeah they are pointless.

Think about it like this, say you're a famous and well known adventurer. You bestowing yourself a title might have more effect than if you were a unknown logger. Titles, even if they're false, might gain traction with the populace and help you legitimize yourself depending on the situation. An example I will use is One Punch man, which do you remember first, his actual name Saitama or his hero "title" One Punch man? Or what is a more heroic shout, "For Eddard Stark!" or "For the King in the North!" Simpley some food for thought.

-MX.

Alt text - can be left blank

5/21/2017 8:05:02 AM #11

Posted By Windigo at 08:17 AM - Sun May 21 2017

Yes surnames are just last names, but in CoE a player is able to gain access to specially reserved descriptive surnames denoting an achievement or an action (such as killing a King) that they became renowned for with which they can replace their current one if they so choose.

As to the regular surname you start off within the game, that would be dictated by your chosen character (who already exists in the game as a functioning NPC) and their family, as you take on the surname already assigned to them. If you start off as a Ward you'll be given a surname based on the locale of your orphanage, akin to how in Game of Thrones Bastards have surnames based on what Kingdom they grew up in (eg Jon and Ramsey Snow=North).

However, with the current pledge packages players who back at Bloodline and above will be given the opportunity to choose a custom surname of their own making (subject to developer approval) with which to replace the surname of their first chosen character and their family with during Exposition.

Imgur Imgur

5/22/2017 2:54:10 AM #12

A good part of an assassians survival is subtlety. If a king dies by your hand, leave a calling card but don't tell everyone who you are!

...cough...gallows?

5/22/2017 3:04:30 AM #13

It was mentioned Wards would have a Surname in reference to their races original location or something to that effect, it was also mentioned that something like "Kingslayer" can also be earned but it would take a lot of effort to get such a title, don't believe it was said it'd become your surname. It's more like "Sir John Smith the Kingslayer" than "Sir John Kingslayer"

EDIT: So you can "unlock" Surnames

Source: DJ: 6 Character Customization and Bloodlines

5/22/2017 12:32:35 PM #14

Posted By Ironside at 12:54 PM - Mon May 22 2017

A good part of an assassians survival is subtlety. If a king dies by your hand, leave a calling card but don't tell everyone who you are!

...cough...gallows?

I would agree. A good assassin would do best remaining with a unremarkable name.

However Assassins will not be the only slayer of kings. For instance an honest soldier meeting the king openly in battle could just as likely kill a king. That soldier would no doubt want the illustriousness of a surname like Kingslayer.

Imgur Imgur

7/2/2017 3:09:04 PM #15

Is there plans for custom surnames to be bought in store? I am too poor to back but would love a custom surname....