COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Rulers Make Bad Lovers...

(...Better put your kingdom up for sale...)

Your post:

Your favorite Historical Ruler

and Why...

DPBoD2.jpg

5/21/2017 2:42:27 AM #1

Oda Nobunaga,

While ruler may be disputed, he was a wild and insightful visionary.

Plus, I love how hes depicted in Japanese culture.

5/21/2017 2:48:46 AM #2

Great first entry, Kyxsune!

Devil's advocate question: why does Nobunaga inspire you more than say Haungdi of China? Both the ruthless unifiers of great contemporary nations, after all? Why does Nobunaga have the edge in your heart?

DPBoD2.jpg

5/21/2017 3:02:48 AM #3

Posted By Ecir_Edyah at 10:48 PM - Sat May 20 2017

Great first entry, Kyxsune!

Devil's advocate question: why does Nobunaga inspire you more than say Haungdi of China? Both the ruthless unifiers of great contemporary nations, after all? Why does Nobunaga have the edge in your heart?

Aside from a lack of familiarity, Nobunaga was able to recognize foreign ideas from a people very different from his own, and use them to his own ends. They weren't just neighboring tribes, they were people from across the oceans. Akin to as if an alien species touched down on earth today.

5/21/2017 3:05:36 AM #4

Aliens? Hardly, the Japanese were well aware of their neighbors, long before Nobunaga.

As for my choice? That's really tough, there's a lot of good ones.

I'll be vanilla and go with Julius Caesar, because he utterly changed the course of history, but my mind will change in 30 seconds.

Warriors of Æsir

5/21/2017 3:09:22 AM #5

LOL Too late, Fallacy!

Gotta say WHY JC gets your first impulsive vote!

DPBoD2.jpg

5/21/2017 3:11:29 AM #6

Any Karling. Pick one.

Why? Because I've never felt as demolished as when I tried picking a fight with them in CK 2. I learned the hard way what it does when your bark doesn't match your bite...

Norhurst, County of Opportunity

5/21/2017 3:26:30 AM #7

lol let's keep it Cerebral, Daemon! Historical only for this thread! (I sure know what you're talking about, though....)

Hmmm...I'm gonna go with:

Ashoka of India

The military consolidation of the Indian subcontinent is one thing. But as Boris Yeltsin once said, "you can build a throne of bayonettes, but you can't sit it on it for long...." After his military conquests, Ashoka had a timely spiritual conversion to Buddhism...and the lands are dotted with stone pillars of spiritual wisdom. Buddhism itself numbers only a few hundred thousand adherents in the world these days, but India's reputation as a disciplined civilization where freedom of religion is enjoyed---not to mention a democracy of three times the population of the US crammed into 1/3 of the space...I think is greatly owed to the foundation Ashoka spent his political capital to foster once his rule was secured.

Like Kysxune alluded to, it's something special to unify people by building on ideas rather than burning them.

DPBoD2.jpg

5/21/2017 3:47:51 AM #8

Usually people admire rules for the wrong reasons or misinformation. You don't have a full grasp of what it was like under their rule. History is more complex than what you get second hand or what you read from books.

I admire MLK, Malcolm X, and etc for their ideologies as historic leaders rather than vague rulers.

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

5/21/2017 3:51:59 AM #9

Teddy Roosevelt because he's a legend.

He basically puts the dos equis guy to shame.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/21/2017 4:53:53 AM #10

Julius Caesar was one of the greatest generals of all time. He was also one of the luckiest, according to his own words.

He was magnanimous in victory against his fellows, which is ironically the thing that got him killed in the end. He had logical and good policies that helped the common Roman, and he set the foundation for the Empire that would dominate the known world for the next 500 odd years, longer if you include the East.

Of course, even as I type this, I have my own doubts. This topic is far too subjective and requires the consideration of too many factors to make a perfect judgement. I'd definitely have JC in my top 25 though, at least.

Warriors of Æsir

5/21/2017 5:44:21 AM #11

This is a difficult topic...

Gaius Octavius Thurinus, better known as Augustus, the first emperor of Rome.

His administrative, financial and cultural reforms helped Rome to prosper in difficult times after years of civil war, the period known as Pax Romana.

5/21/2017 6:07:21 AM #12

Caligula.

The man had the balls to point an army at the ocean and tell them it was a legitimate enemy. They listened.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

5/21/2017 9:41:43 AM #13

Sanada Nobuyuki and Yukimura Sanada Because they decided to support different warlords to make sure that there family would survive no mater what. Even if it caused them to take one of them to take the life of the other.

5/21/2017 10:01:04 AM #14

King Canute.

Because the guy was a bad ass, and unified all of England, Denmark and Norway into the North Sea Empire for a while. Not many others who have managed something quite so cool.

AQBanner

5/21/2017 11:27:40 AM #15

That's really a tough decision. There are so many rulers who knew what they did. I go with another classical character. Napoleon Bonaparte.

Why ? He was an awesome general, probably one of the best in history. He was a dictator sure but at that time England was the only 'democracy' and we saw what the french democracy was like. He did more for his people than most others. His Code Civil is still part of French (and German) Legislature.

He was exceptional and in other times he would ascend to truly greatness, even with his flaws.