COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
King/Queen vs Super Duke/Duchess

(Those who play CK2 will be familiar with the concept of Super Dukes. The worst thing that could happen to a king is having a more or equally powerful Super Duke.)

If my information is correct, each Kingdom will start with 12 Duchies, and each Duchy will start with 24 Counties. 12 Duchies sounds like a lot, and this puts the King/Queen(who I presume will personally have one Duchy title) in a rather weak position within their own Kingdom(They have 11 potential equally powerful rivals).

How important do you think it would be for the Rulers of a Kingdom to quickly limit the amount of power of each of their vassals? Dealing with 11 equally powerful rivals seems like a daunting scenario, and good relations with the Ruler doesn't necessarily stop internal realm rivalries.

So it seems there are two concerns that would need to be addressed:

1. How do Rulers solidify their power over their vassals?

2. How do Rulers stop ambitious vassals from claiming more power?

All management theories come with their advantages and disadvantages, but I personally think it would be a decent idea to simply create more Duchy titles within a Kingdom. This is a straight forward way of reducing the amount of territory each Duchy has, while offering chances of promotions to offset the upset "Old Dukes/Duchesses". With the weaker vassals, the Ruler would be in the stronger position, and thus more able to stomp out ambition. The new problem would be controlling the potential ambition of the new Dukes/Duchesses.

I figured it would be fun and insightful to discuss strategy, theories, and mechanics. Do you think there are more advantages for a Kingdom to be decentralized or centralized? Be Authoritarian or favor Discretion? I look forward to your answers.

5/21/2017 4:29:55 PM #1

Going to be very interesting to find out how Rulers can better manage their subjects.

Perhaps Kings/Queens are going to have far more influence/power than their Dukes/Duchesses so it will always require multiple of them to overthrow a ruler?

It would certainly be important for a ruler to limit their duchy's power so they can't get overthrown early on. Even if they trust them all. Balance can shift!

5/21/2017 4:37:57 PM #2

Well I have a feeling it will be easier and more acceptable to Revoke Titles of Vassals in CoE than it was in CK2. So I think Dukes will really have to consider if they want to risk their title and contend with the King. All it takes is whispering in the wrong ear to ruin their plans and lose them their title.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/21/2017 5:09:55 PM #3

The same can be said going down the list really. I know there are some counts out there starting with 3 counties and aiming to get more in KoE/Expo.

Not that I really think anyone needs to really worry about people within their own kingdom. Any duke trying to take on the king still needs more than half with him. Unless they happen to get all the duchies that are focused on pvp.

But even then, any civil war at that level could go on forever. Only way to really do it is making sure you got 3/4 support behind you. Then you gotta deal with any aftermath, a group of loyal people that could go around destroying everything in sight and never give in.

5/21/2017 5:24:59 PM #4

Posted By Gunnlang at 12:09 PM - Sun May 21 2017

The same can be said going down the list really. I know there are some counts out there starting with 3 counties and aiming to get more in KoE/Expo.

Not that I really think anyone needs to really worry about people within their own kingdom. Any duke trying to take on the king still needs more than half with him. Unless they happen to get all the duchies that are focused on pvp.

But even then, any civil war at that level could go on forever. Only way to really do it is making sure you got 3/4 support behind you. Then you gotta deal with any aftermath, a group of loyal people that could go around destroying everything in sight and never give in.

Not to mention that taking something by force gives people a long time to retaliate and kill the usurper once. One death and the game is done and you lose your duchy. I'd rather go the political route myself.

5/21/2017 5:27:38 PM #5

It's definitely going to be about public relations and keeping their vassals happy for any ruler. And that includes anyone who thinks to overthrow the King / Queen - good luck doing so if the other Dukes / Duchesses don't support you!

We also need to remember that the military are going to be made up of players for the most part, and likely military guilds at that. I don't see any reason why a King, who presumably has more wealth than his vassals (taxes!), can't directly hire mercenary guilds or form a royal guard to have his own military arm. With the wealth of the King behind them, such a military could be larger and better equipped than what the Dukes are able to field.

5/21/2017 6:00:04 PM #6

I will argue against some of your base assumptions to approach your desired solution from another angle. Based on basic principles of liberalism in international affairs, you can secure your power without denying power to those under you.

Instead of limiting your dukes/duchesses in their power, make it so they can gain even more power. Instead of limiting them, bind their power to yourself. Create unbreakable economic ties between your kingdom capital and duchy capitals. As those under you gain power, you will as well.

The key in mutual success is making it more expensive to go to war than anything that would be gained.

There may still be a duchy or two plotting revolt, but as long as you maintain a majority of support through positive actions they won't be able to overthrow you.

Secondary to that, invest in a spy network that can work next to all dukes and report any unrest. And if all else fails, take heirs as hostage. Create an "apprenticeship" program in the capital for all duke heirs to receive training under the thumb of the king. If anyone acts against the king they risk their children.