COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Settlement from scratch

Hey just wondering how many people think they will try build a settlement from scratch rather than just choosing an existing settlement and adding to it. I expect the number to be low since it would be so expensive but would be cool to really establish the style of the town.

Also if you have enough EP to make your own settlement wouldn't you become a mayor by default and not really need to buy the title?

5/22/2017 1:12:29 AM #1

Posted By Reikan at

Hey just wondering how many people think they will try build a settlement from scratch rather than just choosing an existing settlement and adding to it. I expect the number to be low since it would be so expensive but would be cool to really establish the style of the town.

Also if you have enough EP to make your own settlement wouldn't you become a mayor by default and not really need to buy the title?

you could, but building one from scratch is going to be harder than inheriting one. Most notably getting people to migrate into it.

5/22/2017 1:29:07 AM #2

I think the real issue would be surviving until it's built..You would need somewhere live while everything is being set up.

5/22/2017 1:51:59 AM #3

You would become mayor once your reached the requirements, but you have to be recognized by the Count (but since you have to buy the land from a count anyways it shouldn't be too hard). It would be more beneficial for most people to find a town that you're happy with and build there. Cheaper for you and adds more to an existing town. You're welcome in my settlement. Not much to know about it until selection, but you can read up on it at https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19474/your-something-nobel-starts-here

5/22/2017 2:06:08 AM #4

Posted By Deftly at 9:29 PM - Sun May 21 2017

I think the real issue would be surviving until it's built..You would need somewhere live while everything is being set up.

It was my understanding that EP items just spawned into existence, no setup time needed.

5/22/2017 2:13:05 AM #5

For the second part in the OP about EP while you could it would cost much more than a mayor title as you would need about $250+ in EP just to get the 25 parcels of land as land starts around 100EP and goes up based on what is there. Then you need buildings. If you buy at least 1 per parcel (which is a pretty open and empty town tbh) your gonna get ~like $500 in EP then you have a little town with no resources or citizens....

I don't know anymore.

5/22/2017 2:19:28 AM #6

as my 2nd incommand is gifting me his mayor title i plan to build him a city from scratch after i got things sorted out on my end :)

least i can do to repay him realy.

so using a city as a base to send ur supply's to build the town will help alot.

still will be bit of a ghost town at first but as NPC get hired to make it well that should start spreading the news that a new town is being built :)

we all know what gossip mongers those NPC's are. i am sure it will get people in no time.

but yess need to get those npc's breeding... need lots of workers after all.

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/22/2017 2:40:43 AM #7

It would definitely be a lot more work to start a town from scratch, but I can see some benefits to doing so. Mainly, it would let you build a town in a strategic location by some natural resource (ores come to mind first), or a place of military significance (such as a mountain path, or a hill overlooking a plain). Or even just a place out of the way and difficult to get to in order to give you and your group some privacy (perhaps to keep some research secret?).

5/22/2017 3:15:49 AM #8

Posted By Kelipski at 9:51 PM - Sun May 21 2017

You would become mayor once your reached the requirements, but you have to be recognized by the Count (but since you have to buy the land from a count anyways it shouldn't be too hard). It would be more beneficial for most people to find a town that you're happy with and build there. Cheaper for you and adds more to an existing town. You're welcome in my settlement. Not much to know about it until selection, but you can read up on it at https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19474/your-something-nobel-starts-here

You'd only become a Mayor if you register the settlement with a Count, you can do this as a Hamlet, Village, etc and can potentially reap in benefits from the Count building through your settlement.

As far as people building from scratch, prior to pledging Countess I had planned to with my group, but we decided it would be easier to do it this way than build up, we'd be spending similar amounts of money on building it up as we would just bettering a pre-existing settlement.

5/22/2017 3:54:26 AM #9

Posted By Kyxsune at 10:06 PM - Sun May 21 2017

Posted By Deftly at 9:29 PM - Sun May 21 2017

It was my understanding that EP items just spawned into existence, no setup time needed.

I'm curious how the initial AI will react to a TON of housing suddenly appearing! haha. Will there be a mass exodus from existing settlements or will a lot of players find that there houses just stay empty? It's that or the game just starts spawning new npcs.

5/22/2017 4:02:37 AM #10

I'll be instituting a way within my duchy to build from scratch. There are many intiatives that would support this sort of set-up and it gives the ability to assist people who want to grow their own settlement to get support from some counts, and me as a Duke. I just need to find people on NA-W who want to do this sort of thing. :)

5/22/2017 4:13:13 AM #11

Why do people keep telling me that its expensive. I already said that in my post.

Though its not going to be so expensive really. I mean if you spend 1k on EP rather than count pledge it could turn out alright.

Though this makes me wonder what would happen if you built a capital city worth of buildinngs without ever building the government buildings to manage it.

5/22/2017 4:17:14 AM #12

Building from scratch will probably be really hard but. .. the idea is really great if you plan to do something strategic or a really cool thematic ( like surrounding by mines ) .

If I can suggest one thing that would be. ..wait a little to do that. Try to figure out the good patern that all established settlements have and learn from it. Like they said in a Q&A settlement from scratch will be pretty hard.

5/22/2017 5:24:59 AM #13

I was toying with the idea of eventually starting a new town if I found myself being rather wealthy.

I wouldn't even really consider doing it until like a year or so in, so I would have plenty of time to do my research on the exact mechanics and see if it really was something I wanted to do and could do.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/22/2017 6:33:31 AM #14

Would koe count as practice for it? Or do you expect will work much different in expo?

5/22/2017 6:39:29 AM #15

Posted By Reikan at

Hey just wondering how many people think they will try build a settlement from scratch rather than just choosing an existing settlement and adding to it.

I was entertaining the idea of building a secondary settlement from the ground up, but unless I get a windfall in the form of a motherlode of EP, Caspian has talked me out of it.

In short, the best of the initial sweet spots are occupied. Building from scratch will not magically make settlers appear. Settlers have numerous requirements and dependancies to be met or they simply won't move in.

The short version - Settlements can and will fail.

I expect the number to be low since it would be so expensive but would be cool to really establish the style of the town.

Yes, this was the main draw in trying to create something awesome and unique.

No. Having lots of land just makes you rich, not a Mayor. The settlement still has to be registered.