COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Settlement from scratch

Hey just wondering how many people think they will try build a settlement from scratch rather than just choosing an existing settlement and adding to it. I expect the number to be low since it would be so expensive but would be cool to really establish the style of the town.

Also if you have enough EP to make your own settlement wouldn't you become a mayor by default and not really need to buy the title?

5/22/2017 4:12:45 PM #31

Posted By Caelestius at 10:03 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Deftly at 3:00 PM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 09:40 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Deftly at 2:30 PM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 06:19 AM - Mon May 22 2017

While I love that the world is pre-populated and not just blank and maybe a bit boring, as a mayor with exposition access to the creation tools, I really would love to be able to plan the town from the ground up rather than start from procedurally generated town planning. I love, love town planning in games, and I'm very pernickety about it, with even a small thing out of place irking me to no end.

I don't suppose anyone has heard of the possibility of a mayor in exposition starting off with some blank parcels and going from there?

Player towns will be from the ground up. NPCs will have their own town but if you are mayor and above you are placing or building building where ever you can fit them

That is not the case. There is no difference between a player town and an NPC town, and all towns (as far as we know) that pledge package owners take control of at the beginning of exposition are existing towns.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean..If you have parcel of land you can place that anywhere in-game there is space. Then you can build on that parcel..There will be pre-existing token we can take over but you don't have to start there..The whole point of expo is for us to start building our world.

I'm fairly certain that you do have to start there. Anyone of rank during domain selection will be choosing from one of the preexisting NPC towns to expand and grow - at least, that's what all of the information so far has said. I would love if we could ignore the pregenerated towns and start building from scratch with our EP, but according to all the official sources so far that's just not the case.

I can check what information I have when I get home but I thought that was the reason EP building were built instantly during expo. The guy that is doing the WIP guide on towns states you can build from scratch as well.

5/22/2017 5:13:25 PM #32

I am thinking in line of : first take a prebuild settlement develop that with best of ability, then as time goes and if you have expandable income start spreading out with outposts where new settlements can be built closer to your already established settlements and add on to them, turn them into hamlets, then village then town and so on incrementally , it will be colossal task, it will not happen overnight , it will take time and set backs and who knows what else....but it will be fun.

5/22/2017 5:28:01 PM #33

Posted By Deftly at 11:12 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 10:03 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Deftly at 3:00 PM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 09:40 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Deftly at 2:30 PM - Mon May 22 2017

Posted By Caelestius at 06:19 AM - Mon May 22 2017

While I love that the world is pre-populated and not just blank and maybe a bit boring, as a mayor with exposition access to the creation tools, I really would love to be able to plan the town from the ground up rather than start from procedurally generated town planning. I love, love town planning in games, and I'm very pernickety about it, with even a small thing out of place irking me to no end.

I don't suppose anyone has heard of the possibility of a mayor in exposition starting off with some blank parcels and going from there?

Player towns will be from the ground up. NPCs will have their own town but if you are mayor and above you are placing or building building where ever you can fit them

That is not the case. There is no difference between a player town and an NPC town, and all towns (as far as we know) that pledge package owners take control of at the beginning of exposition are existing towns.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean..If you have parcel of land you can place that anywhere in-game there is space. Then you can build on that parcel..There will be pre-existing token we can take over but you don't have to start there..The whole point of expo is for us to start building our world.

I'm fairly certain that you do have to start there. Anyone of rank during domain selection will be choosing from one of the preexisting NPC towns to expand and grow - at least, that's what all of the information so far has said. I would love if we could ignore the pregenerated towns and start building from scratch with our EP, but according to all the official sources so far that's just not the case.

I can check what information I have when I get home but I thought that was the reason EP building were built instantly during expo. The guy that is doing the WIP guide on towns states you can build from scratch as well.

If you have a title you will pick a predesigned/generated settlement during domain selection. If you have EP purchased buildings you can plop those down instantly during expo. However during expo if you don't have EP items you can still build whatever you want provided you have the BP and the mats/labor to build it, but you will already have to own the land since the LMT will not be available during expo.

Once expo is over and the LMT for the county opens you can then build up a town from scratch. Cannot do it during expo even with EP items since the LMT doesn't exist you won't be able to register the town with the count till actual Launch.

5/23/2017 3:12:16 AM #34

Posted By Caelestius at 10:04 AM - Mon May 22 2017

Addendum: I'd LOVE if you could prove me wrong, Deftly, I'd much rather start with blank parcels than established buildings that I have to work around or demolish.

If you're referring to EP Parcels those will most likely be blank canvases that you select throughout a county. However your town, if you decide to take on your Mayor title, will have pre-existing buildings you cannot demo at will.

5/23/2017 10:01:26 AM #35

Yup, what Malais said. Think of EP items as "customization" instead of "creation".

5/23/2017 10:08:12 AM #36

Thanks for the confirmation, guys - those were my impressions as well. What I was saying was that I would rather build from scratch that start with an existing settlement, even if that puts me at a disadvantage. I'd rather customisation over a larger or more prosperous town any day, especially because it is my sincere belief that a well-planned, beautiful, ergonomic and built to be fun town will attract players at least as quickly as a larger, more efficient town built in a grid or randomly.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/23/2017 10:19:55 AM #37

Owning the land isnt such a big deal for me.

I don't really care about being a mayor or having a big house or much else. I just want to play in an interesting world and want to play my part in making it interesting. Seems some might be in simolar mindset.