COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Suddenly have a new lord what do you do?

so in this Scenario your ether a mayor or lower.

your county has been captured by a enemy kingdom and they have decided to appoint a new count from there kingdom over you and your county.

now lets put down that there is no largely ill treatment but you are now in a occupied county.

now things to think about are what are the NPC doing? do they even care?

what will the average player do? are they gonna be business as usual because no different treatment no loss of lands or business?

what will gentry do who are big land owners? will they protect there lands or raise forces to rebel?

what about those mayors who live thru it ? will they just server the new count or plot a coup,

my thoughts are that most npcs will mostly go as usual with a few attempting to move away or maybe start a resistance movement that may invite player charters to it.

i would expect alot of patriotic players will ether attempt to get all there valuables and try and make it across enemy lines or start or join a resistance movement.

mayors and gentry really not sure i feel quite a few will try and rebel or form a resistance but it all depends on the enemy's forces in the area.. these guys are looking at a much bigger picture.

that being said the likelihood a mayor or gentry was not already killed in the fighting it or part of it is low but there are chances some peaceful mayors just ran there town and protected it.

but yes just for the sake of argument :)

what are your thoughts and what would u do?

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/22/2017 5:10:15 AM #1

I think if someone's happy with their lot, and the new person is benevolent, it's going to be pretty common for people to stay right where they are. Some won't, of course. Some will love the dramarama of fighting back. Some may even feel inspired to. But human nature being what it is, if someone new is in charge, and they seem OK, a lot of people will just accept it and move on. All of this is why CoE will be fun to play. The unknown.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/22/2017 5:13:53 AM #2

The north remembers.

5/22/2017 5:18:40 AM #3

Like Flashman said, most Mayor/Barons will probably just keep doing what they've been doing as long as the "New Owner" doesn't shake things up too much on the lower levels. I think Barons might have a slightly harder time as they are more involved in the defense of the kingdom. Mayors on the other hand are just there to make tax money and the merchandise for the county, whoever is in charge.

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

5/22/2017 5:21:46 AM #4

Basically what Flashman said.

There are of course going to be alot of variables, far too many to really talk about.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/22/2017 5:33:25 AM #5

but what would u guys do personaly?

would u just deal with it or would you work on some way to fight back?

i was looking for both angles what u thought would go down and what you personaly would do

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

5/22/2017 5:38:07 AM #6

Posted By mandrake1980 at 3:33 PM - Mon May 22 2017

but what would u guys do personaly?

It would depend on a stack of variables... what the new person was like... what the old person was like... how the new person got the role at all... what the people around me thought of the new person... what the people around me thought of the old person... all of these things are going to vary from situation to situation. And in terms of the people around me, who would help me form my opinion, I don't even know who they are yet.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/22/2017 5:44:25 AM #7

Only a fool will react before he even understands what has happened. There are far too many possible variables in your hypothetical to really understand the full situation. You would have to define some of them.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/22/2017 6:07:30 AM #8

If things dont change to much most people probably wouldnt care.

The real question is how the owner of the new kingdom can enforce or change the major roles of the people below him.

Is Mayor/Count/Baron and all those just titles that you can wander to new kingdoms with. If not then cant the new ruler kick you out of your role and give the role to someone else?

I mean if the King is supposed to have a # of Dukes then the Dukes get a # of Counts then the Counts get a # of barons, or however its divided up. What happens if the person in charge of you says your out?

If one of the kings dukes is doing some shady stuff and the king says GTFO my kingdom and can enforce that order then does the Duke just go to a new town and say "Yo im a Duke here now" or does the king kick them out, get the title, and is able to give the title to his IRL friend that wants to play as someone higher up in the food chain?

Also if the king of Kingdom A takes over Kingdom B by force, can that king then boot all the Titled People out of their roles and assign those titles to some of his generals and champions that helped him take the kingdom? Also would the king be able to coerce/force the titled people from Kingdom B to pay for their right to remain titled?

5/22/2017 6:17:06 AM #9

While taking into count so many different things. For me it would mostly come down to how loyal I felt, also how I felt towards the new person. Not to be mistaken with the new person taking over, whoever runs the invading forces.

Either just let it go and happily live on/work with the new person. Or salt the earth of every single land they take over. Burn down the fields and generally see how long I can last doing as much damage as possible, be fun times.

5/22/2017 6:25:02 AM #10

Posted By Haegon_Redwyne at 10:13 PM - Sun May 21 2017

The north remembers.

^ This.

Although most of the figure heads of the County would have been culled, aside from those Mayors that bent to the enemy...of which they should be skinned alive for their cowardice but that's for another time.

The gentry will in most circumstances go about business as usual. The game changer will be the reputation of the previous Count, were they charismatic, did they instill a Nationalist pride of their people and County before they were cut down.

There are so many little odds and ends that will play on the human psyche that could potentially change the outcome.

I'd like to imagine though that if you were worth your salt as a Count, then your people might fight in your name.

War is messy, but if my Count was on the front-lines trying to stop my farmstead from being burnt down by a Army let loose, well you bet I'd be in the next County over signing up to get sword and shield.

Remember, The Enemy is the Enemy from the Farmer to the King. They all deserve to be butchered

5/22/2017 11:32:32 AM #11

If a county is captured there would be no appointments by the invading kingdom after. You would know who your new count would be up front as they would be the one trying to execute the CB. So your decision of whether to support them or not would have already been made during the fighting and defense of the county seat.

5/22/2017 12:34:12 PM #12

I would honestly start plotting off the bat, I'm not they type of person that would allow that to happen. But I also wouldn't make big moves to gain support for a coup, maybe a little subterfuge here, sabotage there, locating questionable assassin or bandit groups.

5/22/2017 1:32:44 PM #13

The basic concepts of conflict dictate that the lower your social status the least likely you are to be truly effected long term by a regime change. It is the nameless farmer of one regime that fights the nameless farmer of another regime so that an elite can gain power, but the farmers just keep farming when it is done. I like my count, and so I will defend him to the best of my ability, but not at the cost of my farm or family. A new regime will not be able to take my farm from me just because he takes a house from my count.

5/22/2017 2:32:23 PM #14

Posted By Kelipski at 11:32 PM - Mon May 22 2017

>I like my count, and so I will defend him to the best of my ability, but not at the cost of my farm or family. A new regime will not be able to take my farm from me just because he takes a house from my count.

It maybe in the invaders best interest not to annoy the commoner folk too much, doesn't mean they won't. For all you know they don't think they can hold it from some army incoming and will destroy every town while salting the earth.

That line would scare me if I was your count I will defend him to the best of my ability, but not at the cost of my farm or family. Knowing if the going got tough, it be only a matter of time before you flipped.

5/22/2017 3:12:53 PM #15

It shouldn't scare you. If you expect someone to destroy their own lives to defend you when they don't have to, you're not fit to be a leader.

The idea that an army will destroy everything in their path would require that army to be massive. Destroying everything in your path slows you down as a counter force moves to your location. You would need an army so large as to not be worried about any counter force. A wise army (of this primitive nature) would move through an area and towards their ultimate target.

The foundation of your argument is based on other types of games. The cost of such an attack to not expect to gain anything is not something anyone would do. Sure, maybe a small number of people but not an army. Who would spend all those resources, risk their lives, and take days to invade an area with no other hope than to destroy something? There is no long-term benefit of such an action.