COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
My perception

Good evening everyone,

I would like to start by saying that I have been tracking CoE for a long time and chose to support during the kickstarter because I love some of the concepts behind the game. I would really love to see this game succeed.

I have thought long and hard about posting. I would not be posting if I had already written this game off. My hope is that the comments will be considered by the devs and that we will see some related and significant changes. This is the last topic I plan to draft on the subject. I know I will be flamed and downvoted, but I don’t care. If there is any chance that my suggestions could become reality, it’s worth it.

I welcome direct and specific responses. I know I do not have all the information that other may have and I know that I may have missed something along the way. I am going to quote some of Caspian’s response and specifically address various portions. Please point out if I have completely misunderstood or misread something.

I’ll summarize my main concern in that in the response post I was hoping to see Caspian respond that he was doing everything he could to eradicate the idea that the game was p2w, but I never saw Caspian say that the game was not going to be pay for an advantage and there were some general terms that left room for advantages. Why couldn’t the approach be to nearly eliminate in-game advantages. Give people basic buildings for expo. Offer the headstart. Have a plethora of cosmetic offerings. Just don’t give advantages that could affect a single player facing another single player.

As for the specific responses:

>“As you know, relics are typically ancient items that have some mystical properties. However, activating those properties first requires you to determine how to do so. The idea was that if people purchased one of the 'mystical' items it would be provided with a collection of non-relics, with no indication of which item was the relic, and no information about what the relic actually did. The receiver would be forced to go on a quest - or a series of quests - to discover which was the relic, and how to activate it. Much like we do with the custom relic design experiences. This process was intended to take months to accomplish. So it wasn't an immediate insta-relic.”

Just because it may take time to activate, the person who purchased it still has the item, which is an advantage. Is it being implied that someone who finds one of these items later on in game will NOT have to unlock it? I doubt that and if that’s not what is implied, I see the only reason to mention it is to point out the non “insta-relic,” which is irrelevant as they still have the item.

When speaking of equipment >“…where the differences between quality of items - even large quality differences are relatively small, and are even then very situational.” … They… “but generally aren't significant character-building tools.”

Caspian is saying that there IS a difference. Labeling the difference as small doesn’t negate that there is a difference. I also note the use of the word “generally.” Saying they aren’t generally significant implies that they sometimes are significant.

>Caspian said “blueprints tended to be more complex and interesting as they increased in rarity and quality. Complex and interesting doesn't mean more powerful.” And “Mastering a single individual pattern or technique before launch? Sure. That gives them the ability to train others. But mastery of a single technique or pattern does not make someone a master or grandmaster over-all. This shouldn't be a concern for anyone.”

Why does the term “tended” have to be used? Why can’t it simply say they are ONLY more complex and interesting. This still leaves a gray area. And why does anyone have to start off as a master? Why can’t the skills be learned through practice? It IS a concern that someone starts off with additional skill over a base character. Also, is there a mechanic that will only allow a person to master one skill? What if someone wants to purchase more than one?

>“whether we're "Pay-to-Win" or not, what matters is the perception people have. And he's right.”

Yes, yes, and yes. It’s perception. Why couldn’t the response to the community be that pay to win concepts were going to be removed or severely limited. I understand that early access can be considered p2w, but that is one that most people accept. Having access to base buildings would also be one many would accept. But the game offers more than that and the devs did nothing to say they were going to backtrack. There are a lot of gamers who will not touch a game if they perceive its p2w, so why not make a huge effort to dispel that perception?

>“it's imperative that the topic of conversation isn't about whether we're P2W or not. If that becomes the conversation, we've likely already lost the battle - regardless of whether it's true or not.” Correct

>“So the goal going forward can't be about trying to convince people we’re not P2W, the focus going forward needs to be on changing the conversation.”

NOOO, you need to address the issues that people have concerns about and eliminate most of them!

>“Consider this: If we're able to reach our minimum goal of 200,000 players, then the couple thousand gentry, aristocracy, and nobility that exists across all our servers is as little as 5% of our total player-base. That means those people at launch who care about exposition or our EP store is extremely small!”

Again: NOOOOOO. Anyone playing the game is butterfly effect affected by anyone in the game getting an advantage. If I go to play cornhole with nineteen other people and one person gets to stand closer than everyone else you can’t say that the advantage only affects one person. It affects the entire game for everyone. It doesn’t matter that only 5% get an advantage; it’s still an advantage. And usually, in a p2w game, it’s only a small percentage of people who are considered whales and have the advantages…that’s the problem!

>“They're never going to know, and never going to care."

Sorry, but no: it’s already public information. People do care or you wouldn’t see so many posts about it. And keep in mind that the majority of the forum viewers are die-hard fans…you need more than die-hard fans.

>“They're entering a world which was built and customized by players and that's all they should care about.”

You can’t expect the community to prioritize the same way as you. Remember, you said yourself that it’s perception that matters. The gaming community will decide on an individual basis what it “should care about.”

>“As we make forward progress expect to see less and less about things that affect only the gentry, aristocracy, and nobility, and more about things that effect everyone.”

Maybe it was bad timing, but right after this was said, the sales came out for MORE items that could be purchased with real money for in game advantages.

>“When our focus is on what the player experience is going to be like for the other 90%”

You can’t separate the 10% that get advantages without putting them on a separate server (which I would LOVE).

In summary, it seems that there is a disconnect between the devs and the gaming community. To say that it doesn’t or shouldn’t matter if a small percentage of players get an advantage shows the lack of understanding of current perceptions in the gaming community. We have been burned by games turning into p2w and it’s made many of us skittish.

I would again offer the suggestion to have at least one server that did not allow any additional EP purchases beyond what the base packages offer and only let that EP be used for community building, not gear purchases and only base quality. Then you could say “hey gaming community, we heard you and we are going to have the option to avoid any kind of p2w other than a head start and pre-existing titles that can be lost.”

I hope my suggestions are at least viewed by the devs and that this game turns out great. I’m not bashing the game. I tried to offered reasoned and constructive feedback.

Kip from Fist of the Empire

Friend code: 72EC67

5/23/2017 1:13:39 AM #1

Your concerns are heard, and I don't see any issue in voicing them, but I'm going to retain my stance that the idea behind exposition is fine the way it is. I never had an issue in the first place, but I know many did, and those same people were silenced by Caspian's knowledgeable and eloquent response.

The members who exist right now in the community do not represent the potential size of the community in the future, that much is definite.

I'm sure all of us want this game to succeed, but drudging on in a discussion with the purpose of changing a core idea behind the game's development is rather pointless. Rather than continue discussing why the devs should change their point of view and take exposition in a different direction, we should be doing exactly what Caspian has asked us to and be changing that conversation.

The mere one percent that may or may not be at an advantage come game launch aren't and shouldn't be a reason to change the way things are.

5/23/2017 1:23:07 AM #2

Without going into detail about the impracticality of stacked technical analysis of words to push for a grey area like the Devs are English majors so that you can claim superiority, there is a problem with your suggestion.

A 6th server (20% increase) without any start-up capital to advance the creation/maintenance of the server to serve the needs of a significant minority. Such a server would require a sharp increase in the cost of a spark of life. You can't have all the benefits of a game engine without buying into the system.

5/23/2017 1:23:20 AM #3

Posted By Artsykidd at 11:13 AM - Tue May 23 2017

I'm sure all of us want this game to succeed, but drudging on in a discussion with the purpose of changing a core idea behind the game's development is rather pointless.

QFT. I said similar the last time Kip posted on the same topic.

Interestingly, I see this sort of thing going on in a lot of pre-game communities. A game says, 'We're going to do x, y, and z...' and people get onboard with that and back it. Then there's a tiny, tiny percentage of people -- sometimes even backers like Kip -- who see it as a time to demand that aspects of the game, sometimes even major ones, have to change. I've never understood it, myself. It's fine to toss around ideas -- usually just for a bit of fun -- but to get angry about it, and continue arguments on like this, and pull quotes out of context, etc, is a bit on the nose and, as Artsykidd said, rather pointless.

Hope you've got it out of your system now, Kip, and we don't have to have a third thread on the same topic. That would be really taking things a bit far. Please consider.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.

5/23/2017 1:24:31 AM #4

5/23/2017 1:49:33 AM #5

I do not see it as an advantage just because you have the item does not mean you will not: 1 lose it in some way, 2 have it taken and then used against you, 3 never figure out how to get it to work. You could even lose it while you are on the quest to figure it out-- that is what they are for having the items already in game, would you rather have it random> > would that still be considered and advantage? What matters is what the game "is" and how people see it, Expo is P2B in that we are making the kingdoms, duchies and so on that "everybody" will inhabit not just us, yes I would like all of them to be different not cookie cutter same just so that it seems to be equal-- since it will never be so even if we start with nothing-- why because we will have groups(guilds, RL friends) that will be able to pool our resources and will gain faster then the single player

5/23/2017 2:17:34 AM #6

Posted By Dleatherus at 9:24 PM - Mon May 22 2017

The topic is abit worn, but you can't really blame him for trying to strike while the Iron is Hot.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/23/2017 2:29:08 AM #7

Posted By Apaukolypse at 7:17 PM - Mon May 22 2017

The topic is abit worn, but you can't really blame him for trying to strike while the Iron is Hot.

actually i think there are some valid reasons for considering a 'different rules' server

my personal opinion is that flogging the p2w horse isn't the way to achieve it

for those amongst us who were around during Ultima Online's heyday, when Trammel was brought out, shortly thereafter the 'Siege Perilous' shard (server) was opened up to cater to folks who loved UO but wanted a slightly different environment

I have also played some other games in player-imposed 'ironman' or 'permadeath modes'

so i have empathy for Kip's request

if beating the horse to death didn't work the first time, perhaps a different approach might be an alternative?

p.s. though i personally enjoy playing on 'harsher' rules servers - they rarely enjoy a truly sustainable fraction of the population a normal server does - i'd not see the possibility of one opening up until a few years after the game launches and it can be better gauged whether it is fiscally prudent to take the financial risk and commitment of doing so

5/23/2017 2:33:33 AM #8

When these issues were first raised after the release of the EP item concepts post (the item list is a proposal atm, not set in concrete) I dismissed the comments as whingers complaining about P2W. After doing some further research I tend to agree with many of the concerns raised. These aren't concerns raised by squeakers who expect everything for nothing, but by early backers who have spent hundreds or thousands on this game concept and genuinely want the game to succeed.

There are two issues:

• Pay for advantage
  • Perception

Most here understand the advantages those purchasing higher tiers get and I'm betting no-one has an issue with that. But there is a clear advantage for a person, duchy, etc. when items of a higher standard can be bought and used in-game. Again, I doubt anyone here disagrees. The argument about items being able to be taken is fine when in the context of the individual, but it becomes a bit of an issue in the context of lands. A king (or other) who is able to purchase a building of distinctly higher value or defensive walls of distinctly higher quality provides an advantage not only for themselves but also for all players within that boundary. Yes, the king can be overthrown but regardless, that land still maintains an advantage simply because of cash purchases.

Anyone who has browsed other sites, particularly those reviewing games, would be aware that there is a perception this is a P2W game. You can argue semantics but the perception is the more you spend, the better offf you will be. Kip is having that issue now with his guildies. I am having that issue now with my (adult) kids. The community can help ease that perception through rational dialogue, but as long as words such as 'could', 'may', 'tend', 'might' are being used, the P2W perception will continue.

It is good that the devs posted the EP info as concepts and not set in concrete. Personally I would not liike to see items above ''uncommon' for sale. I can understand the idea of handing out a relic jumbled up in a pile of trinkets to get items into the world, but the person buying that pack knows one of those items is a relic.

I hope the devs do consider these issues seriously given they have the potential to turn undecided customers away.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)

5/23/2017 3:42:54 AM #9

I really am still not sure what to make of Caspian's response to that thread to be honest. I kinda want to give it some time, let the "conversation change" and let them "focus on the 90%" and see how it plays out, but I am not sure how much time to give before it is too late.

The big issue here is a surprising lack of information and communication between the Devs and the Community here. SbS has always been pretty transparent, sure, but they are transparent with general concepts and ideas so far. Not specifics. So right now, we simply don't know how big of an advantage alot of these things you can buy truly give. We have been told "small", sure. But "small" can be very subjective. So I kinda want to give them time, maybe til after Prologue is open to the public and we can kinda fool around with the mechanics and concepts ourselves, so we can talk on more specific terms with SbS. But I don't know if it is too late at that point. We will have to see, and this makes me very uncomfortable. The last thing I want to see is CoE go the pay 2 win route without me doing everything in my (very limited) power to stop. Yet, I agree that the moment the whole focus is shifted unto "P2W vs. Not-P2W "the battle has essentially already been lost.

I look at Ashes of Creation, and while their trailer is 90% Buzzwords, they made a very clear point that the game was DEFINITELY NOT going to be P2W, and they really are doing nothing to contradict that. That really appeals to most gamers, especially nowadays, and has really been a major factor in the success of their Kickstarter. They never even gave a reason for that conversation to start, but CoE seems to be really pushing and pushing that line, giving more and more reason for the conversation to be shifted that way. It just makes me think: Why? Why are they doing this? Are they risking a PR disaster and potentially the success of their whole game to sell higher quality items, which are essentially minor World-Building tools that could easily be done without? If their intention was to not be P2W, why are they taking such a massive risk for so small a reward? If I thought it was essential for the game, I would understand. Which is why I have forgiven just the concept of Exposition, which is essentially a 3 month headstart, which is almost a cardinal sin in other MMORPGs. Yet they aren't stopping there. They seem to be trying to sin as much as they can get away with, and I fear they may have already crossed the point where they COULD get away with it.

I really don't want to feed this conversation, and lord knows I have more than said my fair share on the matter, but I really am not sure if Caspian has lost the plot or not.

So I have a thing now! 📣Also this is my signature until Sieraen gives me one. 🤷1 Like 👍 = 1 Prayer 🙏

5/23/2017 3:52:20 AM #10

I think the Kip has made a number of good points. I don't think it is fair to dismiss his concerns because you believe the topic has become stale. Especially if the Devs have not really done anything to address the concerns created by their latest response. Instructing us to "change the conversation" doesn't address the concerns so much as it just sweeps the concerns under the rug. I would certainly not equate that to a knowledgeable response, a knowledgeable response would have left little doubt as opposed to trying to just change the subject.

5/23/2017 3:58:48 AM #11

Why people concerned about p2w in the first place? They don't want other people to get more advantage or better than themselves? They really want everyone to be equal?

Is it possible? at least we don't have equal online time right?

or actually they themselves want to have more advantage than other as they know they can have a lot of online time or many ppl to support them and don't want to spend money?

For me I just want to experience this game which have many interesting concept and I don't see that any king or any big player in this game will effect me much in that regards.

At least I know that to keep the server run it need money and not many people will want to spend money if they don't gain any advantage in the game so when you don't want p2w you should also suggest any solution to avoid it but still help the company get the money enough to run the server rather than just literally say you don't want to pay or all should pay equally. It is practically impossible you know it right?

Plan to be just an explorer and trader, will most likely be Jenoan in fourth kingdom of OCE server

5/23/2017 4:22:27 AM #12

Posted By Solarity at 8:58 PM - Mon May 22 2017

Why people concerned about p2w in the first place? They don't want other people to get more advantage or better than themselves? They really want everyone to be equal?

Is it possible? at least we don't have equal online time right?

or actually they themselves want to have more advantage than other as they know they can have a lot of online time or many ppl to support them and don't want to spend money?

For me I just want to experience this game which have many interesting concept and I don't see that any king or any big player in this game will effect me much in that regards.

At least I know that to keep the server run it need money and not many people will want to spend money if they don't gain any advantage in the game so when you don't want p2w you should also suggest any solution to avoid it but still help the company get the money enough to run the server rather than just literally say you don't want to pay or all should pay equally. It is practically impossible you know it right?

Some people are just worried about the perception. If the game is perceived as P2W it may lose out on a bunch of potential backer

5/23/2017 5:24:14 AM #13

You guys spent a tiny bit of cash for your titles, why not dish out a tiny more?

You cry babies, tears of the poor bring cheers to my ear

You may have erased my signature, but you can't corner the dorner

5/23/2017 5:38:15 AM #14

Posted By KipFoE at

And why does anyone have to start off as a master? Why can’t the skills be learned through practice?

Hi Kip, I've read your post start to finish and most of the 'other one'.

I do appreciate you have your own views on this and have a complete right to express them. Which you have done in an informed and well mannered fashion.

I just want to touch on the one area that I've quoted where I think you may have missed something.

I think that the way skills work, you can only progress so far solo. The game is community centric and so they have made it a requirement that to get to the dizzy heights of Grandmaster or Legendary you need to become a teacher of your craft.

Why couldn't they insert Master level NPCs to learn from? Can't say but I'd hazard a guess it's down to interactions required when learning off another player.

That's all from me.

[EU] The Town of Farwatch Selene (Hrothi) - Demalion/Dae Erath/Ash County - Masonry, Scouting/Cartography Animal Husbandry, Agriculture Smithing, Tailoring. Light RP, Casual & PvP Welcome.

5/23/2017 7:00:56 AM #15

Posted By OrangeBoy at 3:24 PM - Tue May 23 2017

You guys spent a tiny bit of cash for your titles, why not dish out a tiny more?

You cry babies, tears of the poor bring cheers to my ear

I most likely will as Expo draws closer, but it's not me you have to convince. It's Kip's 100 or so guildies. It's my 50+ guildies.

The attention span of a computer is only as long as its extension cord...(Friend Code: 9D26A7)