COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Skill Ramps and Sparks of Life

So we know that 1 Spark of life = to 10 - 14 months of game time. But what happens to our skill ramps after that spark of life is gone, do skill ramps reset once a new spark of life is used?

If skill ramps don't reset then i'd imagine that 1 Spark of Life = an unknown amount of spirit. So when we buy another spark of life we just add more spirit adding in more game time...

The problem with this thought though is that since we've got a nearly limitless amount of time to build our skill ramps (based on how many sparks of life you buy), what would be the eventual cap that we 'd reach on skill ramps so we don't have characters that will become Ace-Of-All-Trades?

Also is Skill Atrophy from death linked to your skill ramps as well? or just the current skills for that current soul you're playing?

UDL

5/25/2017 1:29:43 PM #1

The skills themselves reset, but skills increase at a faster rate for the heir, so long as those skills are in the area of which your previous character was focusing in (blacksmithing, etc.) Other skills will increase at a normal rate. It's like how it is in normal life with apprentices. They learn from the ground up as well, but the mentor helps with making that faster due to them giving you what they know from their experience.

(Edited to keep misleading info away based on Caelestius' post)

5/25/2017 1:32:53 PM #2

I think you're misunderstanding what a skill ramp is! A skill ramp can ONLY happen over several life times. If you spent your first lifetime mastering cooking, in your second life you'd be able to level your cooking skills much faster, making you an expert chef faster than you might otherwise be.

That is what a skill ramp is! So it wouldn't really make sense if those didn't work between character lifetimes.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

5/25/2017 1:37:21 PM #3

I believe Kukos had it right. When you apply your new Spark of Life into the same soul, your skills will drop back down to nearly zero. However the rate at which you relearn these skills will be greatly increased until you reach the previous level (the level in your old life) at which they will revert to a normal pace of learning.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

5/25/2017 1:40:21 PM #4

i'd like to apologize for all who've responded so far as I've been consistently editing this post...

UDL

5/25/2017 1:42:30 PM #5

Also thanks to Kukos and Caelestius as I've forgotten that skill ramps happen after a lifetime since i was thinking that skill ramps happen after each "spirit walk" for some reason.

Yet I still wonder about the possibility of the Ace-Of-All-Trades due to skill ramps.

UDL

5/25/2017 1:59:36 PM #6

Posted By Japninja808 at 08:42 AM - Thu May 25 2017

Also thanks to Kukos and Caelestius as I've forgotten that skill ramps happen after a lifetime since i was thinking that skill ramps happen after each "spirit walk" for some reason.

Yet I still wonder about the possibility of the Ace-Of-All-Trades due to skill ramps.

I haven't looked back at the Akashic Records stuff in a while, but I don't think skill ramps are permanent across all life times, at least that I would assume they decay over multiple lifetimes. As those memories of previous lives fade a little and the soul simply remembers only vagaries after a certain point.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

5/25/2017 1:59:49 PM #7

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT I'M SO SORRY

To address your second point about being an Ace of all Trades - not really a possibility. Skill ramps don't last forever, they're only at their strongest in your first lifetime after you were at a high level.

• Case Study: Several Generations of Chefs

Life 1: You spend your life leveling cooking. You probably reach a high level, but not legendary (100), as the devs has stated it won't be possible to max out a skill in one lifetime. You character dies a celebrated chef, but not level 100.

Life 2 (a): You are reborn and continue practicing cooking. By the time of your death this time, you are much better than you were in life 1. You are possibly somewhere in the high 80s or 90s - very very small chance you will have maxed out the skill.

Life 2 (b): You decide to take a break from being a chef and decide to be a master thief instead. You practice your deviant skills, and reach somewhere close to sneak skills as you had in chef skills in Life 1.

Life 3 (a): You continue cooking. By the middle of your life, you are a legendary chef, master of all dishes, renowned across the lands. You're at skill level 100 and can concentrate on learning as many recipes as possible and making sweet sweet bank. You are at the pinnacle of your game.

Life 3 (b): You return to cooking, but because you skipped a lifetime of cooking, your skill ramp is quite small - you maybe learn your cooking skills a fraction faster than when you started. By the time you die, you are at a slightly higher skill than Life 1.

Hopefully this clarifies some things! Skill ramps apply for a limited number of lifetimes, and are at their most potent the lifetime directly after you get to a high level in a skill. There are two possible time lines here - (a) and (b). Neither is necessarily any better than the other! But in timeline a, by practicing cooking over several lifetimes, it is possible to become the best possible chef. Skipping even one lifetime and not really practicing sacrifices the skill ramp and leaves you almost back at square one.

So you can see, becoming a master of all skills will not be possible in CoE. There simply is not enough time in one life to level all skills to a high enough level to be able to have the necessary skill ramps to continue practicing in the next life.

However, because professions are not set in stone in CoE, unique combinations of skills to make unique professions are encouraged, and it will almost certainly be possible to master a few skills over a few lifetimes. For instance:

Legendary smithing and legendary artistic or filigree skills may make it possible for you to be a legendary maker of beautiful armors.

Legendary sneak and legendary one-handed may make you extremely adept at assassination.

Legendary beast taming combined with legendary farming may make you one of the greatest breeders around.

I truly hope this gives you a better understanding not only of skill ramps, but professions and skills in general.

TL;DR: Skill ramps carry over between lifetimes, but fade over time. Only by practicing the same skills on the same soul repeatedly will give you absolute Legendary (lvl 100) mastery of those skills. You won't be able to do this with all skills, but with dedication, maybe 2 or even 3.

5/25/2017 2:06:41 PM #8

Wall of text has crit, roll saves vs. death due to massive damage.

When Cae mentions skill levels, it's the level of skill you have vs all other users of that skill on your server, so a %.

5/25/2017 2:08:26 PM #9

Posted By Count_Emiya at 3:06 PM - Thu May 25 2017

Wall of text has crit, roll saves vs. death for massive damage.

I've only ever played 1 tabletop RPG, but I think what you just said was a good thing. So... Thanks? Hahah :)

5/25/2017 2:10:10 PM #10

Posted By Count_Emiya at 3:06 PM - Thu May 25 2017

When Cae mentions skill levels, it's the level of skill you have vs all other users of that skill on your server, so a %.

I had absolutely no idea this was the case! I presumed the skill levels were absolute like in other games. Learn something new about CoE every day. :)

5/25/2017 2:13:16 PM #11

So then it's not so much a skill cap but a skill leaderboard?

Like those at a legendary class would be the highest skill on server?

That would be an amazing title to hold... worthy of an achievement

UDL

5/25/2017 2:23:49 PM #12

Most like a skill bell curve, I'd say! Not sure if you're familiar with the concept of bell curves in exams and grades - basically, if lots of people are getting As, they grade harder so that As are more difficult to get and Bs and Cs become more common, maintaining the bell-shaped curve graph. I'd imagine it's something like that - if too many people are getting their skills too high, devaluing Legendary status, it becomes harder to level your skills, requiring more and more practisc to get it as high as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

5/25/2017 2:27:32 PM #13

Posted By Caelestius at 09:23 AM - Thu May 25 2017

Most like a skill bell curve, I'd say! Not sure if you're familiar with the concept of bell curves in exams and grades - basically, if lots of people are getting As, they grade harder so that As are more difficult to get and Bs and Cs become more common, maintaining the bell-shaped curve graph. I'd imagine it's something like that - if too many people are getting their skills too high, devaluing Legendary status, it becomes harder to level your skills, requiring more and more practisc to get it as high as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

That's about how Caspian described it. The longer you practice, the higher your relative skill level, and the skill ramps increase the "value" of that time.