COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
New & Overwelmed

Hi All ^.^

I remember reading about Elyria a long while ago and have just stumbled upon it again, I won't lie, I get really nervous when it comes to crowd sourced games in general, but reading about this game and the world tonight honestly has me hoping for the best (and staying up until 3am reading as much as I can about it). I'm at the stage of "what's the worst that could happen?"

Anyways, I'm Aliviara or Ali smiles

I am not new to MMOs or Gaming, I am a hardcore competitive gamer when it comes to FPS and MOBA's. I always played WoW, SWTOR, and ESO on and off but there was always something missing from them for me. Elyria seems to have features that I have lusted over with my friends about for years..

I feel like I am already so late to the game (funny since it isn't even out yet). If anyone could point me to a few good places to start to help me better understand the world or how I should choose a pledge package or any other helpful links or guides, I would be forever thankful.

Also, maybe a fun question for all:

What made you take the plunge into actually buying a package?

Looking forward to getting to know you all, and hoping for a genre defining experience within the world of Elyria.

-Alivara

5/29/2017 10:14:32 AM #1

Hello Alivara,

I'd recommend YouTube, specifically Bicyclewalrus. He has well over a hundred hours of material on the game, and even reads over the Developer Journels for you.

I'd follow that up with the CoE Q&A sessions, which are always entertaining, and informative.

As far as what got me into CoE, it was my WoW guild. We switched over due to burnout, and now we happily... and impatiently, lol, await exposition :-)

5/29/2017 11:28:51 AM #2

Thank you DanielBlack! ^.^ I'll be sure to look into all of that!

I started talking to my old guildies and they are too skeptical to make the change with me, for now, I go on this journey alone. Hoping to prove them wrong!

5/29/2017 11:33:12 AM #3

here you have a list with community resources, even though, the fastes way to know about the game is to join discord of any community and ask there all your doubs, there are always nice people that will explain you everything you want to know... about CoE, on other matters who knows? :P

5/29/2017 12:17:02 PM #4

Hello, Aliviara.

The Developer Journals are great place to start in understand Chronicles of Elyria, the newest ones are at the top. Along with the Q&A videos from SBS, good source of information from them as well.

For pledges, it depends if you like to join in on the Alphas, and Betas or join in during Exposition; the building time where players who qualify will be let in three months before game launch to build up their domains and settlements.

How I got into CoE was browsing Kickstarter, but not pledging anything down when it was running. I've kept an eye on it until I was sold on the concepts Caspian was aiming for after reading a developer journal.

5/29/2017 12:35:47 PM #5

5/29/2017 12:58:34 PM #6

Hello Ali, If you want to know anything about the game i can usually describe pretty much anything. Swing by The Conclaves Discord and just start asking questions about CoE there is alot of people knowledgeable about this game across all communities.

5/29/2017 2:45:12 PM #7

First, welcome to Chronicles of Elyria. I understand that you feel you may be a little late to the party but it is as you said the game isn't even released yet in fact it is still in pre-alpha so really you came just in time for the gathering right before the party, don't forget to bring an hors d'oeuvre.

When I first came across CoE instead of reading the design journals myself I watched DM21 breakdown of the design journals. Afterwards I really wanted more so I also watched Electricbears videos as well. The next best thing to do to learn more about the game is to join a community; the most heavily populated servers as of now seems to be NA-E and EU, with NA-W following and APAC being the lowest populated server.

I personally would recommend finding a guild/organization to join on the server you wish to play on and then settle within whatever town/Kingdom they will be in. I feel joining a kingdom first then working down is much more difficult and its harder to develop a connection with people in a kingdom discord chat due to the large number of people present.

Regarding packages I personally would say bloodline package and then spend what you would like on EP, but I have colleagues who would say buy a mayor+ package as selling land will be more profitable in the long run.

Anyways best of luck in your pursuits in Elyria.

(P.S this newcomer starter pack was created specifically for this situation )

5/29/2017 2:51:58 PM #8

What made me take the plunge and back CoE: For me MMOs have been missing the mark badly for a decade or more. The games they're trying to make aren't the games I want to play.

CoE, as described, is a game I want to play. Full of features and ideas that others either couldn't imagine or are too scared to try. I knew when MMOs went the way they did that we'd have to wait for smaller, innovative studios to be able to make them before we might see the sort of game I want to play again. Well, here it is.

I can afford to lose the money I backed CoE with and I'd rather risk it on a rare chance at a great MMO, than waste it on another shiny rehash.

5/29/2017 9:04:07 PM #9

Thank you all so very much!

I am awake this morning with excitement to check out all the material you have listed. I haven't been this excited about a game in so long!

I truly am grateful for all the responses and points of view! Feel free to DM me with any stories or suggestions you might have that is outside of this post that you might find helpful.

Now for me to go down the rabbit hole!

5/29/2017 10:28:25 PM #10

Sent you PM.

5/29/2017 11:26:43 PM #11

Well, there really isn't much more I can add to the links provided up above. But I wanted to offer you a warm welcome to the community Aliviara, and I hope you decide to stick around.

In answer to your question. "What made you take the plunge into actually buying a package?"

Besides absolutely falling in love with the concept of the game, I decided to take the plunge because of how transparent and honest Caspian and the team are with the Community.

5/29/2017 11:43:01 PM #12

Welcome to the community Aliviara.

What got me to back this game was the fact it is going back to the roots of a rpg game. Being what you want to be and it being feasible. You make your own story so to speak.

What made me choose the Astronomer package which has been changed now to the Magistrate package is the desire to create a fort and be involved in blacksmithing to a high degree. Which also gave me Alpha Access 1 and early access forums. So it depends like what Borka said on what your goals are.

If you have any questions concerning mayors/barons or blacksmithing I would love to be able to answer any questions you may have. You can pm me here or on Discord.

5/30/2017 1:24:07 AM #13

Aliviara,

Welcome to the community. I think everyone has provided links that will bring you up to speed on the current development of the game.

Why I pledged at the level I have which has been the biggest ever for a game is because of Caspian's (The Owner) vision. He sold his own family property to fund the pre-kickstarter period of the game. I have seen the last 10 years of MMO failure, one MMO after another trying to be WOW.

He has taken the best of what big publishers have watered down into a bad commodity and revitalized the concepts. His vision is original and built on a truly immersive MMO.

The package is something personal and also should be affordable to your budget. Do you want to see the sausage being made and join Alpha 1 & 2 likely to be very buggy and crashy or do you want to join Beta 1 & 2 which should have all major features in play.

Bloodline is a good package because it gets you into Expo the 3 month early access world building period and it is on sale for a few more days.

5/30/2017 1:37:45 AM #14

Welcome! You're definitively not late, we haven't even gotten to the land selection bit yet, so you have plenty of time to get settled and influence the community. The new packages aren't too different from the old ones either, especially if you don't plan on becoming a noble.

Oh, and take note that some of the things discussed in the older articles may have changed a little. I recommend joining the community on discord, many of us would be happy to answer any questions and discuss the game with you. :3

I personally took the plunge into buying a package after getting excited by the concept of the game, much like you are now. I wanted to support this game because if they manage to succeed with only half of all their goals then they could shift the market into a direction which I feel is sorely needed. Still, what really sold me on making such an early investment was that as an economist I was really impressed with the financial plan that SBS have. They have a solid three-step plan, where many game companies today barely have one half-assed one. As such I felt the investment was low-risk.