COMMUNITY - FORUMS - AGING & DYING
Spirit loss for criminals

So from what I understand on spirit loss for criminals is that you'll suffer the spirit loss once you've been captured and convicted of whatever crimes they accuse you of.

So does that mean if you killed 10 people but only get sentenced for 5 of them would you only suffer the penalties for those 5 if that's all they have proof of?

Also, is the spirit loss only incurred when you're sentenced by the court system or is it on the next time you spirit walk regardless if you've been sentenced in court?

If criminals only get that penalty when their convicted in court then criminals could just fight their way out of it and either die and "respawn" somewhere near their body then run away.

This could be solved by creating some way to subdue the target for transport but it was made clear that being able to stop someone from playing their characters (locking them in a transport vehicle) is something the devs are trying to avoid.

If it is incurred on death then there's the possibility to receive a double jeopardy in spirit loss ( incurred spirit loss via death and then you get captured and receive the spirit loss again).

If when you die you receive the spirit loss then there's no point in convicting them in court / sending them to jail. It'll make bounty hunters judge/jury/executioner for the people.

I won't even start on the possibility that contracts can be faked and you could potentially frame someone under a contract they've never really signed and cause spirit loss on your enemies that way (given that the sheriff isn't able to see through the fake documents)

UDL

5/31/2017 6:13:05 AM #1

Trials haven't been discussed in detail, that I know of.

My understand is once you are captured/convicted/sentenced you will immediately "serve your time" but just losing spirit life.

You become incapacitated before CDG, so if you tried to fight your way out the law enforcement people could just knock you out and tack on more to your sentence. If they did kill you and you respawned and tried to flee, they would likely catch you (it takes an unknown amount of time to spirit walk back to your body so they would have time to prepare) and once they caught you they would increase your sentence and you would still serve your time (not double jeopardy because that requires 2 trials for the same charge and if you tried to fight your way out of a trial either the trial wasn't completed and/or new charges change the circumstances of the trial).

And yes, forging identification and signing a contract while under a disguise is possible to frame someone else when the contract is incomplete. If a sheriff isn't good enough in the forensic skill to detect a forgery it either better be a master forgery or a new sheriff.

5/31/2017 6:39:59 AM #2

In regards to becoming CDG before being sentenced, what about if it wasn't the law enforcement person you get CDG from but the next victims that you failed to kill.

I would think that deviant societies would be located out in the wilderness away from the eyes of the sheriff so it would be more reasonable to think that they'd soon have a failed attack on a group then to be caught be law enforcement.

But this can apply to CDG in general, i.e. animal attacks, hostile NPCs, rival deviants

Edit: After more thinking, maybe i'm just over thinking it. Most likely what will happen is that you'll just get the spirit loss whenever you get convicted in court just to make things easier but i'm still curious if it'll just be for whatever the current bounty token says it's for.

UDL

5/31/2017 7:00:12 AM #3

CDG and sentencing will probably not be linked since they are two different things. You can't tell a magistrate that you should be released because someone else already CDG you.

There are risks and rewards to actions. You can't use CDG risks to minimize legal risks. If your victim kills you then calls guards while you're spirit walking you'll probably still be arrested.

Edit for your edit: No idea. If you're brought in for a bounty I'm sure it'll take priority but there may be other crimes tacked on that weren't bounties. Or crimes committed while being arrested. Or (this is still unknown, and unlikely from Dev intentions) crimes made up to punish you.

5/31/2017 7:22:20 AM #4

So In the case of false accusations, what do you think will happen then?

Personally I would like if when convicted falsely, Ace Attorney jumps in with an "I ONBJECT!!!" and the judge and those who brought them in suffer spirit loss instead.

UDL

5/31/2017 7:28:12 AM #5

Haha funny but it's more likely you'll either have to beg for a chance to prove your innocence or you'll serve the time wrongly accused (happens all the time in real life).

Better brush up on your forensics skills.

5/31/2017 7:31:47 AM #6

Posted By Kelipski at 9:28 PM - Tue May 30 2017

Haha funny but it's more likely you'll either have to beg for a chance to prove your innocence or you'll serve the time wrongly accused (happens all the time in real life).

Better brush up on your forensics skills.

Agree but probably leaning More to you serving time unjustly, I could see this being a reason why people would leave cities or potentially kingdoms.

UDL

5/31/2017 7:38:31 AM #7

I doubt it. Someone would have to really frame you well and that could happen anywhere. It's not "unjust" in the eyes of the law if it seems like there is clear evidence you did something. And you can bet many (like in real life) will say they've been framed.

Someone would have to be damn good at disguises, steal and article of your clothing (or multiple for even better effect) changing hair color, eye color, (height/weight???) and then have a fake id of you. It's a lot of work and not likely to be fool proof for courts.

5/31/2017 8:09:25 AM #8

I am taking it from the position of the victim, if I can have you falsely accused for just a lot of minor crimes the spirit loss adds up and potentially quickly due to your increase in fame for doing all these bad things you're framed of.

Granted it will be on what the power of balance between the disguises,etc vs the investigation but I wont rule out the possibility of this happening, if in the beginning only when skill are just being built.

UDL

5/31/2017 8:38:05 AM #9

I don't believe the criminal justice system will have mechanics to just accuse someone of a crime. There are ways to frame people, but I don't think you can say, "I saw him break into my house" and that be enough to sentence someone. The Devs are designing systems so people aren't too easily abused.