COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
NPC Personality Diversity

I'm curious how diverse NPCs will be personality-wise. Mainly, will it be possible for NPCs to become thieves.

I ask this because it won't be an unheard of thing to have towns with no PCs. Either because we will be out and about, moved to a different town, or just never had anyone in a town. Compared to the potentially chaotic nature of PCs, NPCs can seem bland.

If we run a purely NPC town or come upon one, what are the chances that it'll be interesting? Will we run across bullies, thieves, or any other atypical NPCs? Will we find towns with corrupt mayors or counties with evil counts?

I know we are a ways off for you guys to give a definitive answer but I would like these kinds of questions to be taken into consideration.

Friend Code: BA3E0A

5/31/2017 6:02:00 AM #1

No a bad question. Caspian had a similar one in a Q&A video.

First - you won't (or aren't suppose to) know who is a NPC/PC without having a long talk with them. So while it may seem like there are no PCs in a town, there could be and they're avoiding you.

Second - To your main question - Yes to all of it. Per Caspian, NPCs will be driven by needs, fulfilled by personalities matched by skills. Theoretically, a needy person that can sneak alright with a low moral character should consider thieving. Same as a needy/greedy NPC with alright combat skills and low moral character/ high aggression could become a highwayman.

This isn't 100% but the groundwork implies that it's likely.

5/31/2017 6:15:38 AM #2

Posted By Kelipski at 01:02 AM - Wed May 31 2017

No a bad question. Caspian had a similar one in a Q&A video.

First - you won't (or aren't suppose to) know who is a NPC/PC without having a long talk with them. So while it may seem like there are no PCs in a town, there could be and they're avoiding you.

Second - To your main question - Yes to all of it. Per Caspian, NPCs will be driven by needs, fulfilled by personalities matched by skills. Theoretically, a needy person that can sneak alright with a low moral character should consider thieving. Same as a needy/greedy NPC with alright combat skills and low moral character/ high aggression could become a highwayman.

This isn't 100% but the groundwork implies that it's likely.

Yup yup yup, and to build off of this NPC will be based off of the big five traits (OCEAN) and the different level in each trait will determine the personality of the NPC.

5/31/2017 7:22:50 AM #3

Well, I think we are going to recognize NPC from PC because their behavior (and probably typos :p).

It should be similar when we see NPC and OPC, because a PC could do more things and talk some kind of topics or un different ways than a character no ruled by a player.

5/31/2017 7:26:38 AM #4

Posted By Gammea at 9:22 PM - Tue May 30 2017

Well, I think we are going to recognize NPC from PC because their behavior (and probably typos :p).

It should be similar when we see NPC and OPC, because a PC could do more things and talk some kind of topics or un different ways than a character no ruled by a player.

Agree, I think we'd be able to spot a player if their running from nothing. No reason for an NPC to run.

UDL

5/31/2017 10:08:04 AM #5

Unless you setup some responses in advance and /or are a good speller. I think you will be surprised with how well some will blend in with npcs. With the deviant players this will be the case for sure. Good luck finding them among you.

I for one will do research on responses given from all and see if I get any reoccurring responses figure out the dialogue for the area. This will help for when I create my deviant alt.