COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Achievements for unlocking Talents

I haven't seen any official updates on achievements since DJ#2 (If there has been point me in the right direction). However since that journal talents have changed from being soulbound to being characterbound.

Since achievements are soulbound then, besides the various buffs that achievements provide, it seems like they also double as a record of all the things that that souls various lives have... well... achieved.

With as rare as it's going to be for a character to acquire a talent I would think that the act could be considered an achievement. Then in future lives when you no longer have that talent it would be nice to have the achievement as a reminder that soul once had the talent.

With the main idea out of the way time for fun speculation as if this was a fact and not just a hope. Since achievements earned during the lifetime can provide active abilities or passive buffs one could reason the active ability of the achievement would be the talent itself. But in future lives achievements only provide small buffs unless the achievement is earned again. So I could see some of the smaller buffs being like a small strength boost from a past combat talent. Or maybe something like a +5% chance that your next lifetime will have that talent again, you just need to unlock it again.

What are your thoughts on the idea, and if it were to actually happen what kind of effects do you think the talent achievements would provide? or perhaps no effect at all and just be there for the record?

6/5/2017 10:53:03 PM #1

I like the idea of a record of having discovered a talent in the past, just an a neat thing to look at. Given the rates these are supposed to occur, this would maybe frustrate completionists, but I sort of feel like this probably isn't the right game for that sort of gameplay anyways.

I don't see any benefit to making talents easier to achieve because of having got them before. If it's an insignificant increase to the probability then it will be meaningless, if it's not insignificant then eventually talents will cease to have rarity. Given the nature of design up to this point, one could argue for some sort of heredity to justify the increased odds of finding the same talent, but really that's going to lead to a system of arbitrary haves and have nots. Cool in theory, where people might want to have kids with your character because you're one of the weirdos who learned magic, but overall diluting how special it is for no actual benefit.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/5/2017 11:16:06 PM #2

If the talents are unlocked by doing something specific and/or doing them first, then maybe... but if its a talent you got by random chance, that's not really achievement worthy, now, doing whatever the story engine had in mind for you to do with your talent might be.

6/20/2017 1:19:55 AM #3

Posted By Surana

Given the rates these are supposed to occur, this would maybe frustrate completionists, but I sort of feel like this probably isn't the right game for that sort of gameplay anyways.

Especially since they list some achievements as "Those that can only ever be claimed once per server" means it's going to be virtually impossible to get all achievements in the game. (Maybe they should rename achievements to something else due to the connotations that lead to the competitionist attitude?)

I don't see any benefit to making talents easier to achieve because of having got them before. If it's an insignificant increase to the probability then it will be meaningless, if it's not insignificant then eventually talents will cease to have rarity.

True, it was just an idea I tacked on as I was writing it to serve as a potential example of a benefit born of rampant speculation with little to no details to back it up.

Posted By Surana

I like the idea of a record of having discovered a talent in the past, just an a neat thing to look at.

Posted By Dekul

... but if its a talent you got by random chance, that's not really achievement worthy

Yes that idea was initially the thought that it would be nice to have some form of record for talents and potentially other noteworthy things that might not necessarily be considered an achievement.

The next part of the thought that I had left out of the initial post due to its unlikeliness to happen. I had the idea of talents being worked into the achievement system. Because in the description it is said that achievements have bonuses which can include new abilities I figured that unlocking a talent could rather be expressed as unlocking the achievement for that talent and in turn that achievement is actually what provides the talent to the character. Then in future lives it would no longer provide the talent itself but rather just the partial or secondary buffs of a past life achievement. Since I thought the mixing of the two systems was unlikely I decided to just gauge the idea of getting an achievement as a result of unlocking a talent, but now having the post sit awhile I've decided to throw into the ring my full thoughts on the matter and to see what everyone's thoughts/reactions/creative ideas are.