COMMUNITY - FORUMS - NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
Tribe Q&A Schedule

Fair tidings, friends,

After posting Design Journal #20: A Tale of Twelve Tribes and revealing the write-ups on the first 3 tribes, it became apparent that there’s just too much information for a single Q&A! There will now be additional Tribe Q&A’s—4 in total—covering them in groups of 3-4 over the next several weeks. As we talk more about Tribes, how they interact with each other, and how they slot into CoE gameplay, we’ll be able to foster a deeper discussion about Tribes moving forward with the knowledge from previous Q&As and without having to barrel through all 12 in a single Q&A session.

Read Caspian's Design Journal on Tribes to learn about how they were developed. Specific details about each of the twelve tribes will initially show up as individual threads in the General Discussion forum. The list below will turn into links as each one is posted so that you can easily locate them.

The Q&As will take place on our Twitch.tv channel at the following times:

• Part II: Monday, June 19th at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 8PM GMT / 8PM UTC
  • Part III: Monday, July 10th at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 8PM GMT / 8PM UTC
  • Part IV: Monday, July 24th at 1PM PDT / 4PM EDT / 8PM GMT / 8PM UTC

Question threads will be opened up for each of the Q&As, but questions will not be limited to the most recently-released tribes. Any previously-released tribe can be talked about. As mentioned above, the relationships between the tribes and other learnings discovered as we progress through each Q&A will allow us to get deeper and deeper into all the tribes with each session.

May life afford you the courage to choose the path on which you walk,

Vye

6/9/2017 12:38:07 AM #1

Awesome, Thanks for the heads up.

6/9/2017 12:39:44 AM #2

Neat. Any news on what the next 3-4 will be?

Referral Code: 912EC9

6/9/2017 12:40:23 AM #3

Ugh, so far apart. I remember a time when we thought we would get all tribes by today. Oh sweet lies

6/9/2017 12:40:27 AM #4

Gawd.... even their underthings are unique!

This stuff is AMAZINGGGGGGG!!

~ Goody Odsbodikins, Count of the Highest State. ~
Friend Code: F41EFF

6/9/2017 12:40:54 AM #5

Looking forward to learning more about them all.

6/9/2017 12:45:45 AM #6

Nevermind... I caught it. Thanks for the expeditious posting of the schedule

Alt text -

6/9/2017 1:43:59 AM #7

Can we still expect the rest of the tribes to be posted to the site within the next week? Or will they be released closer to their relevant Q&A's now?

6/9/2017 3:37:34 AM #8

Will we be able to choose any race we want after we choose where we live or are both heavily connected. My concern is, say I pledge my loyalty to BloodOak Duchy from Dleatherus, in the Kingdom of Bordweall, but I choose a tribe that lives in swamps, and there is no swamps in his Duchy, am I screwed ?

Like what if I was a Duke myself, would this limit where my Duchy ir kingdom is, or would it limit what tribe I can play ? How does it all correlate.

6/9/2017 3:44:04 AM #9

to quote "May life afford you the courage to choose the path on which you walk,"

seriously, how the heck can we choose, damnit !

6/9/2017 4:22:48 AM #10

Wonderful!

6/9/2017 6:45:31 AM #11

Posted By Mercury_Claw at 1:37 PM - Fri Jun 09 2017

Will we be able to choose any race we want after we choose where we live or are both heavily connected. My concern is, say I pledge my loyalty to BloodOak Duchy from Dleatherus, in the Kingdom of Bordweall, but I choose a tribe that lives in swamps, and there is no swamps in his Duchy, am I screwed ?

This question has been answered dozens of times before, but I will repeat it for you.

No. You will not be able to choose just any race you want to no matter where you choose to be located.

Yes. Where you choose to live and what tribes are available for you to play is related.

Why is this so?

Because when you choose a "character" you are not simply making a fresh brand new one in a character creation screen and plopping themwhere ever you feel like in the world. You are picking a character that already exists in that world. That lives there. Has a family. A job. Connections with other people. So unless there happens to be a Dras family living amongst the tribes/biomes your kingdom encompasses when you go into the game to pick your character (which there will not be at the start of CoE, as the tribes will all be in their starting positions of their native biomes) then there would not be any Dras available for you to choose from if you choose to settle where they are not.

Makes sense?

Now if your chosen kingdom that you have pledged to doesn't have the biome and thus tribe you truly desire you have two choices.

1 - Break your pledge of loyalty to your present kingdom and switch to a kingdom that does have the biome/tribe you desire.

Or.

2 - Simply choose to start a character in that other kingdom with the plan to relocate to the kingdom you have pledged to once you have the means necessary. Which, if you watched this morning's Q&A, is supposedly is likely to be arduous and challenging.

Like what if I was a Duke myself, would this limit where my Duchy ir kingdom is, or would it limit what tribe I can play ? How does it all correlate.

If you are titled then that is another matter. Because yes where you choose to place your domain and settlement does limit you in what tribe you can play . As mentioned earlier when you choose your character you will be choosing one that is already living in the world. And in the case of titles, the character you choose is limited to the families living in your chosen settlement. If you don't choose a settlement with a Dras family, then there is no Dras characters for you to choose from.

Makes sense, doesn't it?

However.

There is nothing stopping you once the game is underway from breeding Dras bloodlines into your own bloodline (unless of course the Dras are one of the few tribes not available on the starting continent of your server. In which case it doesn't matter anyway). If you really really really want to stick with your Kingdom but also to play a Dras, then be patient and work in-game to have your family slowly turn Dras over generations by targeting Dras players or NPCs for child or even marriage contracts with your starting non Dras character.

A note on Wards; choosing Wards still limits you to the tribes that are in the vicinity of the orphanage that you choose to spawn from. Which means you are still limited to the tribe types of the local area.

I hope this clarified things for you a bit as well as given you a greater understanding of WHY it is the way it is.

Imgur Imgur

6/9/2017 11:41:47 AM #12

Couldn't find a definitive answer asking around discord so I'll post it here. Might re-post for next Q&A once we have a place for that.

We recently learned that not all tribes will be present on the starting continent due to geographical restrictions. Presumably the other tribes will exist in the world SOMEWHERE, just on continents undiscovered by the player-base. So lets say at some point you sail north to a new continent and meet, for example, the Yoru. A previously unplayable Tribe that nobody has any relations with. At what point, if any will that tribe be playable by the community on that server? Will all the families on that continent suddenly become available in character creation once they have been discovered? Will we have to breed their bloodline into playability through NPC marriage? Or will instead they function as a strictly NPC only Tribe due to how the server was generated. I have a feeling many players won't mind playing other tribes due to constraints of kingdoms etc, but having a some of them permanently locked on the servers might turn people away. And playing on a server with worse ping, just to allow for the fantasy of playing the tribe you want doesn't sound like the type of solution most would go for. Just my thoughts, again if no-one knows I'll definitely post of a condensed revised version of the question in the thread for the next Q&A, once we have a place for that.

6/9/2017 1:01:49 PM #13

I'm loving the way you are characterizing every tribe with small fantasy details and, at the same time, keeping the feet on the ground giving them a realistic low fantasy appearance and background.

Awesome job guys. Can't wait for the next one!

6/9/2017 5:28:59 PM #14

Will animal breeding be a thing and if so has it been discussed somewhere i can learn more at? With all the different animals being so engrained in certain cultures it would be wonderful to be able to create heritage among horses or battle wolves and such.

May prosperity ever triumph, and life be always held dear.

6/9/2017 10:59:03 PM #15

Yeah it definitely is a thing! Check out the wiki: http://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Animal_Husbandry, more will come later. :D