COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Heir mechanics

I was going over the information again on the tribes released so far, and I noticed the phrasing under leadership was phrased differently for Brudvir which got me thinking. I always assumed the heir system would work in a mostly similar fashion as our world, first born/eldest, but Neran and Hrothi specifically says Heirs, plural, and Brudvir says, "the most appropriate heir of their pack."

So is this saying that you get to choose your heir, or is this saying you need to make sure any children you have, can never be played by a person, if you want to keep an iron grip on your titles and lands?

6/11/2017 1:53:46 PM #1

It's always been the case that you would be able to name your heir, as far as I remember. I believe that said heir can be anyone in your direct lineage. Now, it is probably best to be careful with allowing players to spark into your children because, yes, you are opening yourself up to a world of hurt. If nobility or aristocracy, I would say it will be best to lock your family and provide child codes only to trusted individuals.

6/11/2017 10:45:41 PM #2

If you get to pick which child is the heir, what is the concern letting people spark into other children?

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/11/2017 10:52:01 PM #3

Well the number one thing, is for Brudvir, someone else could try to argue why they're more "appropriate." With Hrothi, if you don't pick your oldest and someone else could try to take everything because they're "Older and wiser"

6/11/2017 11:05:27 PM #4

I don't want to direct quote since it was in the latest QnA but I believe that tribal governments systems are there to create a more interesting story in the case of power vacuums.

6/11/2017 11:57:01 PM #5

Posted By Nubz_Unite at 7:05 PM - Sun Jun 11 2017

I don't want to direct quote since it was in the latest QnA but I believe that tribal governments systems are there to create a more interesting story in the case of power vacuums.

This was my understanding from the Q&A as well; instances where there is not a clear heir the tribes have different ways of figuring it out. If there is a clear heir then the implication is that it would be business as usual, regardless of tribe.

That being said, it could be a convenient time to initiate Casus Belli, depending on circumstances, if you otherwise had fulfilled the requirements to do so.

Knight Chancellor of Ironholde - Servant of Serverus, Lord of Ironholde - Darkholm Dutchy - Kingdom of Blackheart

6/12/2017 12:04:19 AM #6

Surana to your point, Nobles must be 'very' careful who the let into their family. I feel that most will lock the child code for the immediate family for a while, or at least till they get a good grasp on the mechanics and get a firmer hold on the land. And I thought the Heir is not necessarily the 'first born' but could be any child specified in the Will (unless your Tribe needs a First Born to fulfill the roll of leader). I can see a few situations where the first child is not available such as being them being killed or the first born is a female of a male centric tribe (no negativity is intended).

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

6/12/2017 12:41:08 AM #7

What I meant is, if you are a duchess and you have 20 kiddos, whichever one you point at and say this one inherits everything, that one will get everything, including title etc. Obviously you would lock this one for yourself.

When I say "not a clear heir" is if you had no will at the time of death, or had a will but that character is already dead or something... A power vacuum. This could also potentially include a situation where a player doesn't have the story points to spark into the title. This could use some clarification, but would be a nice way of making sure the title doesn't just get shunted off to an NPC by default.

Posted By Sullen at 8:04 PM - Sun Jun 11 2017

>or the first born is a female of a male centric tribe (no negativity is intended).

I seriously doubt they will make any of the tribes like this anyways. There are plenty of ways to distinguish tribes from one another without hanging "no girls allowed" signs on the clubhouse. It would be a surefire way to single out a tribe and turn it into one of the least popular options.

6/12/2017 12:57:09 AM #8

@Calian. You might find this link helpful regarding information about heirs in addition to explanations as to what brought SBS to their decisions. :)

6/14/2017 2:15:22 AM #9

So I was re-reading design journal #5 which said this talking about children:

>Due to the way inheritance works, this option will likely be more commonly used for 2nd and 3rd children.

So maybe I've been thinking about inheritance wrong? I can't really recall where exactly I got the impression that inheritance wasn't locked to the first born. As someone who was planning on encouraging people to play as their offspring, I'm disappointed by the notion I'll have to lock my first born and spark into a character who is middleaged by the time my first permadies in order to retain assets.

Does anyone know if they for sure revised plans for this, or if I was just mistaken in thinking you could choose whatever heir you wanted?