COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Child codes + Orphanage

This subject was recently brought up in the Q&A tribes part 1. Caspian and Sozou were like "Ooohhh yeaaaah?" because it had crossed their minds.

I would absolutely love it if were possible to donate a child code to an orphanage. I also think its ripe for good story.

Basically this allows you to spawn in an orphanage using a child code from a player. Mechanically, this would mean you drop the child at a local orphanage to be looked after so that you didn't have to build rooms or spend a lot of effort bringing them up. Essentially this could also mean people who run Orphanages can receive pay for looking after kids, and it wouldn't just be a hole in your pocket.

Thoughts?

6/15/2017 3:37:35 AM #1

As I'm planing to run an orphanage myself, I think it'd be a pretty cool idea. It would help flesh out the whole player contribution area, instead of some random child with no backstory just showing up.

Hello there.

6/15/2017 3:41:14 AM #2

Posted By Annuile at 1:37 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

It would help flesh out the whole player contribution area, instead of some random child with no backstory just showing up.

Thiiissss!

6/15/2017 3:51:48 AM #3

Yes, but that could/would probably lead to players popping out kid after kid till they get the mix of stats/appearance they want. As they can just boot all the "undesirable" ones to the local orphanage.

6/15/2017 3:55:37 AM #4

Posted By Morholt at 11:51 PM - Wed Jun 14 2017

Yes, but that could/would probably lead to players popping out kid after kid till they get the mix of stats/appearance they want. As they can just boot all the "undesirable" ones to the local orphanage.

Those orphans may resent their parents and want to fight for the right to be the heir xD

Friend Code: 1BD8F6

6/15/2017 4:10:24 AM #5

I could see the potential there for some interesting things story-wise.

NA-E Count backer looking to meet NA-E dukes/duchesses

6/15/2017 4:19:30 AM #6

Posted By Morholt at 11:51 PM - Wed Jun 14 2017

Damn it! Someone found out my plan >.>

6/15/2017 4:33:22 AM #7

Sounds pretty good to me. Would orphan 10/10.

6/15/2017 6:43:19 AM #8

Posted By Morholt at 1:51 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

Yes, but that could/would probably lead to players popping out kid after kid till they get the mix of stats/appearance they want.

Ultimately, it wouldn't pan out like that. The only difference between putting a child in an orphanage or not is where they live. Ergo, you could do the same in your own home. Doesn't mean we should reconsider houses.

Even IF it were somehow more exploitable than a normal set up at your home, its not like it would be hard to balance.

6/15/2017 9:19:17 AM #9

Posted By Sagan at 07:43 AM - Thu Jun 15 2017

Yes, but that could/would probably lead to players popping out kid after kid till they get the mix of stats/appearance they want.

Ultimately, it wouldn't pan out like that. The only difference between putting a child in an orphanage or not is where they live. Ergo, you could do the same in your own home. Doesn't mean we should reconsider houses.

Even IF it were somehow more exploitable than a normal set up at your home, its not like it would be hard to balance.

Well, not necessarily - if you are raising a child in your home, you'd need to feed, clothe, and raise the child, and then contend with them as potentially ambitious family members.

I suppose one way of balancing the plopping out kids and shovelling them into orphanages until you get one with good stats tac would be to put a big old cooldown on having another kid if you put one up for adoption. Something like 5-10 Elyrian years (5-10 real life weeks). That way, people can't just continually have kids and give them away until they get the one they want, because they'll need to wait a non-trivial portion of their character's life before trying again.

After all, the only legitimate in-game reason you could have for giving a child away to be adopted (not min-maxing) is that you're unable or unwilling to support that child and raise them. It makes sense, therefore, that you shouldn't be able to enter into a child contract for some time after that, to allow you time to get into a better position to be a parent.

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.

6/15/2017 9:49:23 AM #10

Posted By Sagan at 11:43 PM - Wed Jun 14 2017

Except for the fact that you can do this only having one extra room for a child, While if you wanted to keep having and keeping children in your own home you would have to have a room for each one.

6/15/2017 11:04:21 AM #11

just because someone wants to keep turning out children to an orphanage doesn't mean the orphanage has to accept them. They are an orphanage not a baby farm.

So if people are looking to beat the system and get the right stats for their kids, they'll find they have have a full house sooner rather than later.

6/15/2017 11:28:22 AM #12

Posted By Nagash at 12:04 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

just because someone wants to keep turning out children to an orphanage doesn't mean the orphanage has to accept them. They are an orphanage not a baby farm.

So if people are looking to beat the system and get the right stats for their kids, they'll find they have have a full house sooner rather than later.

Unless the kingdoms in Elyria have safe-haven laws!

6/15/2017 11:33:10 AM #13

Definitely not what my bloodline will stand for. But if others want to, it is on them. I think you should lose honor or something for doing this. It should not be just lifting a financial burden, etc. there would have to be impact.

6/15/2017 11:47:13 AM #14

Posted By Ironside at 12:33 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

Definitely not what my bloodline will stand for. But if others want to, it is on them. I think you should lose honor or something for doing this. It should not be just lifting a financial burden, etc. there would have to be impact.

Agreed! No action in CoE should be without consequence, especially something which in real life is such a weighty decision to make.

6/15/2017 11:55:03 AM #15

Posted By Caelestius at 12:28 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

Posted By Nagash at 12:04 PM - Thu Jun 15 2017

Unless the kingdoms in Elyria have safe-haven laws!

That only works though if you can leave the friend code on the doorstep ;) otherwise you'd have to hand it over to someone, or else sign a contract with the location to surrender your rights to the child.

Would be kinda kewl if you could truly do a baby moses law type thing, and put a child in a basket and send it down the river ;)