COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Suggestion: Uncoupling Hrothi & Brudvir

It's pretty obvious from the title. During the Q&A yesterday it was mentioned that the Hrothi/Brudvir and Janoa/To'resk couplings were the only ones with a shared kingdom.

Now don't get me wrong I like both tribes as such but to me coupling Hrothi/Brudvir seems rather unbalanced both lorewise and gameplay wise.

First off, the Hrothi to me have the potential to be one of the most powerful tribes by virtue of them being masters of underground mining and digging. They can expand into every kingdom unnoticed, possess vast mineral wealth, are master artisans in stone and physically strong; also they are stoic, stalwart and give an impression of self sufficiency. Not exactly the ideal partners, no?

Now add to that the Brudvir, who are also strong wolf lumberjacks, and masters in woodworking.

Basically you've created the ultimate builder kingdom, unassailable by land due to strong stonework and capable of building many ships at some point by sea or assaulting everyone from below ground. Add to that that both tribes are physically capable and well... you've got a huge threat.

Then add to that that these two along with the Neran seem to be the more popular tribes and you've got a recipe for really unbalancing a server. Two beloveds for the price of one, or as is more likely those with two kingdoms (of which we have two on the servers) are going to be claiming these three tribes for themselves.

Now before you go screaming 'but you just want to play one of these tribes!' I don't. I prefer something else. However I do see a problem when it is possible for a double king to claim all the 'cool kids' for themselves and thus forcing people to be unable to compromise because of prior community commitments.

To me these three tribes seem deserving of a kingdom each.

The Hrothi in particular seem like they would be perfectly fine just locking their mountain halls and ignoring the outside world until they wish to interact. So why should they be saddled with anyone?

If you need to couple something to balance it out, why not return to the Kypiq/Neran coupling. Those two seem rather more suited to each other. The Kypiqs are more a niche tribe, cool and all, but not really competitive on the global warfare scale, at least not until they develop some proper tech. With the Neran it could be an alliance of convenience and tolerance, with the Neran viewing their small partners as humorous add-ons rather than proper partners. Which would also add some nice inter-tribal dynamics plus one could always say the Neran tolerate the partnership because the Virtues teach them to help the weak or something like that.

6/20/2017 9:26:13 PM #1

I agree 100% Brudvir and Hrothi should be uncoupled in place of coupling the Kypiq with the Neran instead.

6/20/2017 9:29:01 PM #2

I think you have some valid concerns. They have said they are taking an approach to balancing this game around asymmetry. They do not want everything to be balanced 100%. That being said they do want to strive for some kind of balance I think.

The Hrothi and Brudvir will be a very potent pairing IMO as well. It could just be balanced by having 3/4 of their borders surrounded by hostile or unfriendly kingdoms. That might be something we don't get a direct answer on and have to find out.

6/20/2017 9:30:15 PM #3

I completely agree with this. I can understand them getting along and being on friendly terms due to trade and other matters but not being part of the same kingdom.

“He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.”

6/20/2017 9:33:41 PM #4

I figured they chose this, not just biome wise, but because Brudvir and Janoa are tribal and prone to smaller settlements, no standing army, etc.

Hrothi and To'resk lend themselves to supporting their strong but less organized comrades.

6/20/2017 9:33:52 PM #5

As someone who does like both tribes. Even as a combination. I still agree with this.

It makes sense. For the sake of balance. To have these two in seperate kingdoms. Instead one top heavy one.

6/20/2017 9:34:59 PM #6

Couldn't agree more!

6/20/2017 9:38:41 PM #7

While both races have their strengths, it's hard to say how strong the nation would be simply because we don't have it yet as the world has not been made.

It could be that the lands are resource rich and the lore says they are good crafters in their particular fields, but also the Brudvir/Hrothi it sounds will lack a solid means of supplying food to their people, thus their numbers might be more spread and therefore harder to defend.

Putting the Kypiq and the Neran together might be as bad/worse, they both are highly skilled crafters, with Neran said to be quick at picking skills up, not to mention vast amounts of food production from both races and at the very least Neran should have decent warriors so they don't have vast flaws.

Coupling Dras and Kypiq together might be from a gamey standpoint a better option, because while both are smart and the Kypiq are sociable and their lands potentially are difficult to assault, neither tribe are renown warriors.

Janoa/To'resk could be dangerous too by that logic, Janoa are some of the most skilled warriors by the sound and we don't have info on To'resk yet to make the assumption.

But again without knowing the lands, it's impossible to know whether Brudvir/Hrothi are an OP combo, so while I get where you are coming from, I think the statement is wrong until we actually see how it plays out.

6/20/2017 9:43:33 PM #8

I also have to agree, but mostly because I know that they're some of the most desired tribes, putting them together for the first and biggest kingdom does seem a bit "unbalanced" but also because it's very easy to point out which race everyone will go for (since the Neran, Brudvir and Hrothi are probably the most desired races so far)

Of course we don't have enough information on the To'resk and Waerd to know how they'll play out, but so far it seems like a really easy choice.

Would be better that the kingdoms would actually need to choose between races which they all want to play, instead of all the kingdoms wanting to go for 3 races, but the first kingdom can swoop all 3 in one go because two of them are stacked.

6/20/2017 9:44:06 PM #9

The other kingdoms will also have dukes of other tribes in them. As far as we know, the only thing the coupling does is guarantee that there will not be both a Brudvir and a Hrothi king at the start.

There will still probably be Hrothi and Kypiq duchies in the Neran kingdom, for example.

6/20/2017 9:44:47 PM #10

I think it will depend on the continent generation.

6/20/2017 9:46:00 PM #11

Just because we know that the developers read these, and I don't want a counter feeling to be missed, I quite like the Hrothi/Brudvir combo.

6/20/2017 9:48:00 PM #12

Posted By MReal at 11:44 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

The other kingdoms will also have dukes of other tribes in them. As far ad we know, the only thing the coupling does is guarantee that there will not be both a Brudvir and a Hrothi king at the start.

No they won't. The Nobility and Aristocracy has to be of the Home biome tribe. So a Kypiq kingdom will have kypiq nobles, a Neran kingdom Nerans dukes etc... At least that was the statement Caspian made on Discord when asked about the tribes in regards to nobility.

6/20/2017 9:49:12 PM #13

Posted By Karik at 10:38 PM - Tue Jun 20 2017

While both races have their strengths, it's hard to say how strong the nation would be simply because we don't have it yet as the world has not been made.

It could be that the lands are resource rich and the lore says they are good crafters in their particular fields, but also the Brudvir/Hrothi it sounds will lack a solid means of supplying food to their people, thus their numbers might be more spread and therefore harder to defend.

Putting the Kypiq and the Neran together might be as bad/worse, they both are highly skilled crafters, with Neran said to be quick at picking skills up, not to mention vast amounts of food production from both races and at the very least Neran should have decent warriors so they don't have vast flaws.

Coupling Dras and Kypiq together might be from a gamey standpoint a better option, because while both are smart and the Kypiq are sociable and their lands potentially are difficult to assault, neither tribe are renown warriors.

Janoa/To'resk could be dangerous too by that logic, Janoa are some of the most skilled warriors by the sound and we don't have info on To'resk yet to make the assumption.

But again without knowing the lands, it's impossible to know whether Brudvir/Hrothi are an OP combo, so while I get where you are coming from, I think the statement is wrong until we actually see how it plays out.

You are right there is a lot of speculation to be said, especially in regards to the unknown advantages or disadvantages of the Janoa / To'Resk pairing but that wouldn't change the fact that from what we do know regarding the Brudvir & Hrothi having them coupled within a single Kingdom all signs point to it being a balancing issue

6/20/2017 9:51:33 PM #14

This is a well thought out concern.

My devil's advocate argument would be that the Neren skill-learning advantage is no small thing, and with their environmental versatility they still have an advantage against a well-fortified B/H alliance that can only dig so fast.

However, the Hrothi write up says they're mentally advanced--so I'm not sure how that squares with my would-be argument.

There are other imaginable ways to balance the equation by tweaking tribal details, and those might work, too. But I agree this concern should be addressed one way or another.

DPBoD2.jpg

6/20/2017 9:54:46 PM #15

The Brudvir have smaller settlements, a tribal society, and no standing army. The To'resk don't seem to have an army of their own either, relying to Janoa mercenaries to maintain the borders as well as through their diplomatic efforts. Also with two tribes sharing a kingdom that means they have to split the land.