COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
391.9. The Great Cannibalism Master Thread Directory!

Hello Elyrians!

I know this subject is as near and dear to all of your hearts as it is mine. So much of our game preparation depends on this critical detail that it was high past time to consolidate this great community's disparate focus on this compelling and thrilling potential game feature!

With luck, all these ingredients brought to one place will coalesce our collective cogitation of cannibalism into some transcendent game design wisdom that'll make the developers go "MMMM--mmmm, good!"

This paltry, tentative effort is by no means comprehensive. Please, fair Elyrians, post the ones I missed on this thread, and I will duly update the Master List here! (Feel free to add scholarly abstracts in your post for the measured consideration of your colleagues and peers.)

Thank you for your contributions to scholarly record keeping on this important anthropological field!

Also, please consider yourself welcome to join the drinking game. For every new "cannibalism" thread, you are invited to take a shot of your choice.

I'm going to get a head start, and we'll see if I can still type by the end of it!

Cannibalism!

Cannibalism!

Cannibalism!

Cannibals!

Any Word On...(Cannibalism?)

Eat Me!

Cannibalism & Skeleton Usage

Can YOU be a Cannibal??

Cannibalism!

Cannibalism! It's What's For Dinner!

Player Eater / Cannibalism!

DPBoD2.jpg

6/25/2017 10:23:15 PM #1

Reserved for careful and methodical document preservation....

(Woops! It looks like the correct Dewy Decimal code for Cannibalism is actually 394.9. Oh well, serves me right for trusting the internet....)

DPBoD2.jpg

6/29/2017 4:32:51 AM #2

Why is this a thing? Why are people so keen on such a thing? And why don't they understand that cannibalism is extremely dangerous to the consumer?

It is like you are arguing in favor of being allowed to have intercourse with trees. Nobody should want that, and it boggles the mind why it would be suggested.

6/29/2017 5:44:23 AM #3

Posted By Bombastus at 2:32 PM - Thu Jun 29 2017

It is like you are arguing in favor of being allowed to have intercourse with trees. Nobody should want that, and it boggles the mind why it would be suggested.

So are you meaning, as a Kypiq, I can't make beautiful love to a tree? But Kypiq love their trees!

6/29/2017 5:51:35 AM #4

Posted By Bombastus at 9:32 PM - Wed Jun 28 2017

Why is this a thing? Why are people so keen on such a thing? And why don't they understand that cannibalism is extremely dangerous to the consumer?

Their are many reasons to want cannibalism, that's why so many people want it. For some its how they see playing a truly "Evil" character, others want to reenact the Donner party, and it can also be used as a drastic and disturbing cultural deference.
Personally I don't care if its in or not, but if enough people want it, and its not too much of a burden on the Devs, i say go for it.
Also think I remember Caspian saying something along time ago about having secret plans for story ideas revolving around player cannibalism.

6/29/2017 7:39:57 AM #5

I would love to see cannibalism in the game. And it's not dangerous to the consumer at all, at least no more dangerous than the meat we eat currently.

Potential issues: If you kill someone to eat their corpse, they will obviously spirit walk back to their body, it would be kind of weird to eat someone's arm then see them reappear all limbs included.

6/29/2017 8:34:12 AM #6

While I'm not really sure what "harmful to the consumer" means, I can see why they would want to avoid something that may be excessively controversial without really adding anything into the game. I mean, think about killing children in Bethesda games. They often have implied rape, slavery (even child slavery..) and obviously plenty of murder, but not child murder, because that'd be more likely to cause a shit storm.

Frankly, despite all the 'plentiful' reasons people want it (from what I've seen, 'cuz, like, it'd be super cool dude! It's hella edgy!') there doesn't actually seem to be any benefit to it (and yeah, I'm considering the whole "what if you was starving, in the middle of the desert though? You could, like, kill a person and eat their flesh!" because, yano... if you cant find an animal how ya gonna find a person?), so why would/should they devote any real resources to it?

kypiq

6/29/2017 10:25:11 AM #7

Hey Chloet, Skyrim was initially made to allow child deaths but changed later in development, likely 'cause of the controversy. They did however keep cannibalism in the game because it added to the game. (Namira)

People travelling through the desert probably aren't going to be alone, but with friends, their guards or travel companions but that was only one example.

Vampires, by their very nature, consume humans/Elyrians for sustenance. Vampires I believe are confirmed? Will have to check though.

This is a game built around the stories that players create. Anything that could add to stories, has a place in the game.

There could be entire colonies of cannibals, like their are cannibalistic tribes in the real world.

I don't think it's cool or edgy and I don't quite understand why you're against the idea all the way to the point of being hostile against it.

Their will be Lichs that raise the dead. That contributes to story, people will band tgether to take them down.

Cannibals that attack travellers and eat them, again, people will band together to take them down.

Cannibals provide equally as much to story as Lichs, Vampires and pretty much every single other idea anyone ever has had or ever will have when it comes to story elements.

What it provides is literally what the game is about.

6/29/2017 10:51:12 AM #8

I'm reminded of the 'Reavers' in Firefly. They are a great dramatic plot device. That's long way from saying they should be a PC class in a Firefly MMO, though. RPing what Reavers do should be controversial.

Controversial (in this titillating sense) is usually bad business. It's a last-ditch marketing ploy to hype something otherwise mediocre.

CoE doesn't need it.

Now Bombastus, why'd you go and sober up my farce of a thread 'a with a serious discussion? ;P

Here, my friend, have a shot!

DPBoD2.jpg

6/29/2017 11:04:21 AM #9

It being a controversial topic isn't a negative. Controversial things are required in this, as without it there is no player disagreement and then there will be no "bad guys".

This game especially, needs bad guys.

Look up the lore for the Elder Scrolls Bosmer, specifically the Green Pact. They used cannibalism because they relied on their trees, plant life and world to survive. Eating the dead, especially those that fell in combat, made sense. So much so it was a major part of their religion.

6/29/2017 4:38:55 PM #10

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Caspian has already said clearly, There will be no Cannibalism in the game, so let it go...

Mayor of Funny Farms Inc.

6/29/2017 5:05:10 PM #11

Everyone should read a Modest Proposal by Jonathan Switf.

Kypiqs can become a good source of protein as well as prevent world hunger in Elyria. Also we should be able to downgrade a tribe into being edible if everyone is "soo" against cannibalism. That would solve the problem by making them into a "lesser tribe" since in actuality Kypiqs really really are short of being a real tribe/mann.

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious."

6/29/2017 5:29:00 PM #12

Posted By Fakadakalaka at 10:05 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

Kypiqs can become a good source of protein as well as prevent world hunger in Elyria. Also we should be able to downgrade a tribe into being edible if everyone is "soo" against cannibalism. That would solve the problem by making them into a "lesser tribe" since in actuality Kypiqs really really are short of being a real tribe/mann.

Don't forget, their size makes them perfect for storage and transportation. They also eat leaves and foliage that most other tribes can't, meaning it's easy to feed them. Not only this, but their dispensability makes them the perfect front-line foot soldiers, as the greater tribes can eat the deceased as they continue their advance. The Dras wouldn't even need to bother with cooking! It's the perfect cattle for an Ideal caste society.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/29/2017 5:40:55 PM #13

Posted By Corin at 10:29 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

Posted By Fakadakalaka at 10:05 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

Don't forget, their size makes them perfect for storage and transportation. They also eat leaves and foliage that most other races can't, meaning it's easy to feed them. Not only this, but their dispensability makes them the perfect front-line foot soldiers, as the greater tribes can eat the deceased as they continue their advance. The Dras wouldn't even need to bother with cooking! It's the perfect cattle for an Ideal cattle caste society.

Free range Kypiq?

6/29/2017 5:48:24 PM #14

I can't believe you jokers hijacked my sardonic thread to have another Cannibalism discussion. Serves me right, I guess.... I'll have to put it on the list in reflexive self-reference!

Now somebody make jokes about library science or drinking games, already!

DPBoD2.jpg

6/29/2017 6:44:33 PM #15

Cannibalism will most likely effect the games rating and also possibly where it can be sold. As it could be offensive to some cultures.