COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Server Migration

we already know that there are going to be different servers which could develop at different rates or have different landmasses even if they will have the same tribes in them to start with, but i'm wondering how they would immersivly handle players wanting to move from server to server as other mmo's have a feature to move your character and their belongings sometimes to another one so you aren't completely starting over but that wouldn't fit with CoE because of most people's things being the land and businesses or reputation they have built up which couldn't be transfered.

So i had an idea of an immersive way they could let players cross over to other servers (even if its just because their current server has reached the end of its technological lifespan) what if they let players actually sail across the server boundaries. The ocean is arguably going to be the most dangerous thing on CoE and traversing it just to another continent sounds dangerous but to let a player pack all their belongings onto a ship and all supplies they might need or things they want to bring with them onto a ship and make a journey to the farthest edge of the ocean would give a realistic challange of setting sail to find this new world to play in. it would also mean people would be selling off their land and such to fund such a migration and packing all their stuff onto one or two ships making them juicer targets for players who wish to take up the pirate life. A role which many might shy from at the moment due to the tremendous risk and not a whole lot of reward being much easier to ambush people trading on land then across the sea (and being nicer to the people they rob because they wont instantly lose their character then). Any sufficiently advanced technology brought across could simply cease to work in this new area due to unknown forces if you wanted to avoid technological contamination of the other servers so would just be bringing your family and prized belongings and your wealth to try and buy your way in this new land. can imagine it creating new stories of this invaders from the sea coming into your kingdom and setting up on shore with their strange vessels dismantling them into houses and fortifications, they were once duches rich and powerful but are unknown in the new land and their money will only go so far :P

Would love to hear you guy's thoughts on this idea or how else they could handle people wanting to move their charters/souls to other servers

6/26/2017 12:26:56 PM #1

Hi Catman, nice idea for how this could be done. However, I think it would be difficult to make that work in practice, and it also somewhat contradicts what we've already been told about other continents on the same world/server.

Given the way souls/reincarnation/etc will likely be handled I think it's quite likely that you can effectively only change server when reincarnating with a new soul -- effectively it's just moving a soul from one server to another, not migrating an active character.

If they do provide a way to move active characters between servers, then my gut feel is that, from a fluff perspective, a server migration would likely still just be described as a soul moving to a parallel world through the astral plane.

While from a mechanical perspective it would likely depend in part on the migrant being able to select a suitable family/settlement on the new server to reincarnate into, potential something could be arranged via contracts to acquire other land/property at the start (especially if the migration was a swap with somebody wanting to move the other direction.

However, I'd expect it to be very lossy -- you've got your souls & sparks & story points, but you'd likely end up forfeiting a lot. Especially given the tech imbalance between servers -- if you bring over tech or knowledge from a more advanced server to a less advanced one, then I think the most you could expect is to be able to carry on using what you've already got, not make replacements or progress knowledge, until the world's tech level catches up with you.

6/26/2017 12:48:12 PM #2

Posted By Xaar at 08:26 AM - Mon Jun 26 2017

However, I'd expect it to be very lossy -- you've got your souls & sparks & story points, but you'd likely end up forfeiting a lot. Especially given the tech imbalance between servers -- if you bring over tech or knowledge from a more advanced server to a less advanced one, then I think the most you could expect is to be able to carry on using what you've already got, not make replacements or progress knowledge, until the world's tech level catches up with you.

Server migration destory's new servers on games like Ark where characters could bring everything they wanted form one server to another. I would be very worried about the same thing happening here.

6/26/2017 12:58:25 PM #3

While that sounds fun and interesting, if you look at it from a practical standpoint, it doesn't work well.

The servers, from information we have so far, are region based ie EU, NA-E, NA-W, APAC.

I haven't seen any mention of them having multiple servers within those regions. I feel like it'll be more akin to a single 'megaserver' style per region, than anything else.

There are very few games that allow people to move -region- and take everything with them.

6/26/2017 1:51:38 PM #4

Posted By CATman4L at

(even if its just because their current server has reached the end of its technological lifespan)

That is technically impossible because there is no end technological end point.

CoE is being designed in such a way that new technology can be added to the game constantly, it'll just be up to players to discover it. Those technologies also won't be in the game to start with, they'll just be gradually added to the game as it progresses.

The dev's will also be able to see what direction a server is going in and make content for that server specifically. For example, if one server loves building stuff out of stone, technology for the development of stone will be added to the game, but if the other server prefers wood, then wood technology will get added. This will mean one server may end up looking very different from another, but neither server will meet it's "end" technology unless it goes past the 10 year story arc time limit.

what if they let players actually sail across the server boundaries. The ocean is arguably going to be the most dangerous thing on CoE and traversing it just to another continent sounds dangerous but to let a player pack all their belongings onto a ship and all supplies they might need or things they want to bring with them onto a ship and make a journey to the farthest edge of the ocean would give a realistic challange of setting sail to find this new world to play in.

This is a very similar (if not the same) idea that quite a few people have had in the past. I don't mean to imply it's a bad idea or anything, it's been played out a lot before and here's a few points people have made over the years :D

1) There will be nothing to say "go this direction for the NA-W Server or this way for the EU Server". So how do you know which server your landing on without going there first?

2) This idea implies that you can go back and forth between servers, so why sell up all your land and take all possessions with you? As you say, it'll open you up to pirates and bandits that'll just steam all you stuff. You could just go and get new land and start again, while your old land makes money for you

3) Traveling the ocean isn't a one person thing, you'll need a crew with a large ship that can cross the ocean.

4) By crossing the ocean you risk permadeath, and by your description of the mechanic, you have to take all your stuff and risk losing everything.... so why not just reroll on another server since you'll start with nothing anyway.

5) If your exploring the ocean not looking for a new server, why should your gameplay start lagging if you suddenly connect to APAC server and you live in Europe. The game could become unplayable.

6) Since you can cross servers back and forth, whats to stop a kingdom from attacking another kingdom on a different server? Due to potential lag and players warping all over the place, it wouldn't be nearly as fun as it sounds.

7) What if you get there and you lag so much the game becomes unplayable but you don't have the resources to make another boat to get the hell out of there.... your only option is to quit playing entirely.

6/26/2017 5:15:55 PM #5

Uhm, no. Didn't work in Ark (imo).

And americans would just have to play during their primetime for all the europeans to have gone to bed.

But i do see how it could also be fun.

MY GENDER IS OILTANKER! WHY IS THAT NOT AN OPTION?

6/26/2017 5:26:59 PM #6

Not sure why people keep bringing up this idea of one mega server. Do people really want to experience a massive ping spike?

Just make different characters on each server at the start of the game. Would make more sense, over trying to suggest ideas for SBS to change.

Posted By galimatias at 03:15 AM - Tue Jun 27 2017

And americans would just have to play during their primetime for all the europeans to have gone to bed.

Like the number of people not on the native servers already? Or planning not to be. Not like it would really matter. So that group hits when the other is asleep? And they hit them back, when they are asleep. Yep nothing changes.

6/29/2017 10:55:39 AM #7

That is technically impossible because there is no end technological end point.

CoE is being designed in such a way that new technology can be added to the game constantly, it'll just be up to players to discover it. Those technologies also won't be in the game to start with, they'll just be gradually added to the game as it progresses.

yeah i was referring to the end of the 10 years assuming that years down the line they would have newer servers starting up so they don't just loose their entire community cuz all the servers finish at the same time and nothing left to play on. i've had this assumption that there would be some great crisis to shake everything up near the end so some people would be holding off that. clockwork army or whatever technological creation has doomed us all while others escape to these new lands with what they can.

And yeah i was thinking of this as a way to still bring some things at least with you to other servers aside from moving if you are already permadead