COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Scumbag thief seeks den to call home...

Hey everyone!

I've been following CoE for a while now, but I'm just now starting to really dig into the forums/community. I've been awake now for about 19 hours...meant to go to sleep hours ago but I can't stop looking up info on this game :O

Anyway, my aim is to be a dirty low-life thief (maybe turned assassin for hire at some point), and I really wanna play the part. I have a significant following on Twitch, and I know many of my viewers would want to join up with me and form a thieves' guild together.

Now, as far as I understand, if I wanted us to have land at the start, I'd need to purchase at least the Mayor pledge package. Thing is...I have no desire to be a mayor, I just want to have a nice little stretch of land we can call something along the lines of Thieves' Den...the kind of place you don't want to be caught without a sword, and have your hand on your wallet at all times. Though I suppose if I were the owner of the settlement, I'd have to be a mayor or something of the sort.

What, then, would be the best choice for us? Should we just aim to take up residency in a town and create a sketchy section of it? I feel if we did that, to the point where it was obvious what our intentions were, we'd get exiled pretty quick, haha. Or is there a way we can create this scummy society of thieves and assassins hidden away from the public eye?

Any info is appreciated, and I'm sorry if I missed a post better explaining this. I've been browsing the forums for a few hours and couldn't come to a conclusion.

Thanks in advance!

6/26/2017 5:53:01 PM #1

You don't have to have a mayor pledge to start with land, you just need to have exposition access and enough EP for a plot of land or a few (land plots are around 175-200ep iirc). Plots are 64x64m, plenty of land for a guild hall or den of some kind.

So the most you would need is a bloodline package and a little extra EP.

If you are not starting with a title you don't really have to pledge to any settlement or count in particular just go where you want to start during exposition and plop down your land, though if you're looking for a more official arrangement with someone it is wise to form that relationship early and not after you are discovered.

6/26/2017 5:59:07 PM #2

It seems to me that the right authorities might be accepting of such an establishment within their borders as long as you're stealing from neighbors.

Chronicles of Elyria Kickstarter backer #2!

6/26/2017 6:07:54 PM #3

Posted By Dekul at 12:53 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

You don't have to have a mayor pledge to start with land, you just need to have exposition access and enough EP for a plot of land or a few (land plots are around 175-200ep iirc). Plots are 64x64m, plenty of land for a guild hall or den of some kind.

If you are not starting with a title you don't really have to pledge to any settlement or count in particular just go where you want to start during exposition and plop down your land, though if you're looking for a more official arrangement with someone it is wise to form that relationship early and not after you are discovered.

Ah, sounds good thank you!

However, if this land wasn't under rule/protection of a kingdom, then would we be sitting ducks for anyone wanting to crush us immediately and take over? Or would we have to officially have waged war first for such a thing to happen?

6/26/2017 6:08:31 PM #4

Posted By KalTheo at 12:59 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

It seems to me that the right authorities might be accepting of such an establishment within their borders as long as you're stealing from neighbors.

Hmmmm...a very interesting proposition ;)

6/26/2017 6:13:00 PM #5

Posted By Peeve at 11:07 AM - Mon Jun 26 2017

However, if this land wasn't under rule/protection of a kingdom, then would we be sitting ducks for anyone wanting to crush us immediately and take over? Or would we have to officially have waged war first for such a thing to happen?

All land is under the rule of a kingdom... whether its under their protection is up to the agreements you make. Unless you've made some arrangement you would be subject to the laws of that county, duchy, and kingdom and could therefore be imprisoned, fined, or other things if you are caught committing crimes there. Other people wouldn't be able to attack you or take your land for no reason however, at least not without violating the laws themselves.

So as others had mentioned, it would be best to find a county that is open to such an organization, perhaps a little quid pro quo...

6/26/2017 6:17:01 PM #6

All land on the starter continent will be part of a Kingdom. All of the Mayors/Counts/Dukes/Gentries will be part of a Kingdom.

However it is possible to build a hidden settlement that is not immediately noticeable by the population unless they come very close to it. However, these hidden settlements will be very limited in their size and will not be able attract npc citizens.

Also, it's kinda hard to keep these things hidden since one individual saying the wrong word could cause it to all fall apart and result in a army from the local lord coming in to raze this "hidden and probably up-to-no-good" settlement.

As for your question, for nobles to declare war on your settlement, they need a casus belli. If you're harming the county/duchy/kingdom, then they will probably get a casus belli to raze your settlement. If they get a casus belli to raze your settlement, then their soldiers will be able to kill the people of your settlement without extra spirit lost.

They are able to attack your settlement even without a casus belli, but their soldiers will be seen by the system as murderers and therefore get penalties such as greatly increased spirit lost if they are bought to justice.

Right now, I'm just a sloth. Just a motionless sloth. A sinful sloth. Please don't make me work. Can't you see how troublesome it would be to get up everyday and actually be productive? Just leave me be. Let me be a sloth.

6/26/2017 6:23:26 PM #7

Posted By Dekul at 1:13 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

All land is under the rule of a kingdom... whether its under their protection is up to the agreements you make. Unless you've made some arrangement you would be subject to the laws of that county, duchy, and kingdom and could therefore be imprisoned, fined, or other things if you are caught committing crimes there. Other people wouldn't be able to attack you or take your land for no reason however, at least not without violating the laws themselves.

So as others had mentioned, it would be best to find a county that is open to such an organization, perhaps a little quid pro quo...

I see. So even though they'd assume we were up to no good, they'd have to have proof first.

I suppose that the fact I'd be livestreaming nearly all I do would give them that proof fairly easily...unless we'd need to get caught in-game for the system to allow for the punishment to take place? If that were the case, then maybe we could play the role of obvious ne'er-do-wells under the ever-watchful eye of the kingdom.

However, maybe working out a deal of some sort would be in our best interests...

6/26/2017 6:26:46 PM #8

Posted By Shady Clown at 1:17 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

All land on the starter continent will be part of a Kingdom. All of the Mayors/Counts/Dukes/Gentries will be part of a Kingdom.

However it is possible to build a hidden settlement that is not immediately noticeable by the population unless they come very close to it. However, these hidden settlements will be very limited in their size and will not be able attract npc citizens.

Also, it's kinda hard to keep these things hidden since one individual saying the wrong word could cause it to all fall apart and result a army from the local lord coming in to raze this "hidden and probably up-to-no-good" settlement.

As for your question, for nobles to declare war on your settlement, they need a casus belli. If you're harming the county/duchy/kingdom, then they will probably get a casus belli to raze your settlement. If they get a casus belli to raze your settlement, then their soldiers will be able to kill the people of your settlement without extra spirit lost.

They are able to attack your settlement even without a casus belli, but their soldiers will be seen by the system as murderers and therefore get penalties such as greatly increased spirit lost if they are bought to justice.

Yeah, I think I understand. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder how metagaming would work. I'd be streaming everything I do, so they'd easily be able to find the location (not much I can do about that), but would they need in-game proof of our misdeeds to carry out justice on us, or would simply seeing it happen on a livestream be sufficient.

I'd imagine for the system to actually recognize us as thieves/assassins, we have to get physically caught.

6/26/2017 6:32:19 PM #9

I feel like depending on how the court system works you may need physical evidence. If you have juries or judges that a players, maybe they require you to actually be sleuthed out rather than citing twitch. I don't recall if theres been official word on how that system will work as of yet. But that's probably going to be something to consider NPC wise. Or they'll all talk about how such and such Duke tries people with no evidence and throws them into a dungeon (or however that will be taking form).

6/26/2017 6:41:19 PM #10

Posted By Vilucide at 1:32 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

I feel like depending on how the court system works you may need physical evidence. If you have juries or judges that a players, maybe they require you to actually be sleuthed out rather than citing twitch. I don't recall if theres been official word on how that system will work as of yet. But that's probably going to be something to consider NPC wise. Or they'll all talk about how such and such Duke tries people with no evidence and throws them into a dungeon (or however that will be taking form).

I would absolutely LOVE to be sent to trial for my crimes. I just dug around some more and found info on the contract system being used to hire an investigator that could find clues on the scene and such...if that makes it in the game that'd be amazing.

Throw me in jail, I'm ready.

6/26/2017 6:45:25 PM #11

Posted By Peeve at 11:26 AM - Mon Jun 26 2017

Yeah, I think I understand. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder how metagaming would work. I'd be streaming everything I do, so they'd easily be able to find the location (not much I can do about that)

The world takes 2 full days to travel across, in a strait line with no climbing needed.

It would be a testament to their tracking skills if anyone were to twitch snipe you.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/26/2017 6:54:01 PM #12

Posted By Peeve at 11:41 AM - Mon Jun 26 2017

Posted By Vilucide at 1:32 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

I would absolutely LOVE to be sent to trial for my crimes. I just dug around some more and found info on the contract system being used to hire an investigator that could find clues on the scene and such...if that makes it in the game that'd be amazing.

Throw me in jail, I'm ready.

Prisons would be wonderful, everyone needs to network!

6/26/2017 6:56:42 PM #13

Posted By Corin at 1:45 PM - Mon Jun 26 2017

Posted By Peeve at 11:26 AM - Mon Jun 26 2017

Yeah, I think I understand. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder how metagaming would work. I'd be streaming everything I do, so they'd easily be able to find the location (not much I can do about that)

The world takes 2 full days to travel across, in a strait line with no climbing needed.

It would be a testament to their tracking skills if anyone were to twitch snipe you.

Omg...seriously? And no form of teleportation? This is a dream come true...

I do no fast travel playthroughs of everything I can purely for the sake of immersion........these devs are in my head and I love it.

6/26/2017 7:13:04 PM #14

Posted By Peeve at 04:26 AM - Tue Jun 27 2017

Yeah, I think I understand. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, I wonder how metagaming would work. I'd be streaming everything I do, so they'd easily be able to find the location

That seems like a terrible thing for any thief. Not so much about anyone you stole from. But any other groups around looking for an easy score. Your location is one thing, but seeing inside of it. That's just golden really. Then seeing who is online from your group. May as well make them a key and invite them to rob you.

Posted By Peeve at 04:56 AM - Tue Jun 27 2017

Omg...seriously? And no form of teleportation? This is a dream come true...

I do no fast travel playthroughs of everything I can purely for the sake of immersion........these devs are in my head and I love it.

I feel you there. Some games just completely destroy the fast travel. Some fast travel I don't mind, but other games go to the crazy lengths. Like playing farcry primal right now, which not sure if you have played it. But the fast travel stations are way too close. The map in general is pretty tiny. Even though you can mount around the place. I just run everywhere and it still never takes me long. Never got why people don't just enjoy things, without rushing through them as fast as humanly possible.

6/26/2017 7:31:25 PM #15

Rules are for the unimaginative.