COMMUNITY - FORUMS - TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Ping

Hello,

I am new to the community, and havent seen this question asked yet, I purchased the Bloodline Package (soon to upgrade), and I hope I bought it to play it with my friends. However...

So I'm from Australia, but I play in a with a bunch of friends on Life is Feudal YO on an American server, I don't lag to badly, it really only gets bad sometimes during high traffic hours (6pm-9pm) during combat. Was wondering if I would be able to play on the US servers with my friends on CoE, or will there be a ping cap limit to stop me from joining? I don't have any friends that play this game in Aus, only the US, so its going to suck really bad if i cannot play the game with my friends. Games like Arma 3, Life is Feudal, Garrys Mod, ARK, Rust, etc are games i can play on US servers, but there's alot of other games I either lag to badly on or there is a ping cap limit stopping me from playing.

I'm hoping for the best,

Best wishes

julias

6/28/2017 2:11:59 PM #1

We have a Mayor in our County that is from Australia he plays games with us a lot we will be On a NA-E server you are more then welcome to join our community he would be have you in his town.

“The important thing in strategy is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions” -Miyamoto Musashi

Count of Jinroh County. We are not the Men who dress like Dogs.... We are the Wolves disguised like Men.. (Friend Code: F33A1F)

6/28/2017 2:12:36 PM #2

No ping limit.

The devs never explicitly said there wouldn't be, but it's implied. They have been encouraging players to play where they have the best ping, and were concerned about whole communities playing on distant servers to get the tribe they wanted; They made the servers all have the same tribes to avoid that problem, but I am fairly certain there stance hasn't changed.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/28/2017 3:20:29 PM #3

You'd probably struggle with combat, especially PvP, but you'd be able to join no problem.

CoE will be using cloud based servers from Amazon i believe, which you can Ping Here

That'll give you a rough estimate of what your ping will be, then it'll probably be slightly higher due to the info the game has to transfer, but it'll give you an idea none the less

6/28/2017 3:27:09 PM #4

Hard to compare how this game will be to FPS/non skilled based games. Not sure about you, but being an Aussie myself, in those type of games you can basically abuse the lag and make it look like you are shooting through walls. I tried to play conan with my old NA kingdom, that ended badly. I was normally half dead before I even knew what was going on.

Where this game will be based around skill, so you lagging out for a second or two can make all the difference in combat. More so since crafting will be based around skill as well.

It's all mostly up in the air. Personally I would rather a low ping, mostly cause how many companies support our side of the world in the first place. Then so sick of playing at high ping, I don't plan much combat. But you are really limiting yourself. For once we aren't forced to play either on some Asian server and have no idea what people are saying or some high ping US server.

All up to you. I know Aussies playing on the NA servers. That seemed not put off by the lag. Want the bigger population, but then we normally play when most NA people aren't online anyway. If you really want to play with your mates, go for it. Just know you may not be able to do everything you want with them.

6/28/2017 3:37:10 PM #5

Thanks heaps guys I pinged with those amazon servers at the moment with my current internet setup and my results were; US East (Ohio) 239 ms US-West (California) 222 ms US-West (Oregon) 201 ms

Which isn't too bad to be honest, Once i get NBN it will be much better I hope. Ill run another test in Sept to see if there's a difference. Glad to hear that I'm not going to be kicked out of a server because there is a ping cap limit.

julias

6/28/2017 5:22:48 PM #6

We're not far enough along to make a definitive call on this, however I can say if we did implement a ping cap, it wouldn't block you from playing on a specific server - but it may disconnect you if you reach a certain threshold. This would be done to ensure a reasonable experience for anyone in your group.

Unfortunately, we just haven't made this decision yet and I felt it important for you to be aware.

Thank you.

"Stupid questions make more sense than stupid mistakes."

6/29/2017 1:19:41 AM #7

239 without streaming and processing game data. Gonna go up from there.

I don't know anymore.

6/29/2017 3:52:41 AM #8

Posted By Serpentius at 03:22 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

We're not far enough along to make a definitive call on this, however I can say if we did implement a ping cap, it wouldn't block you from playing on a specific server - but it may disconnect you if you reach a certain threshold. This would be done to ensure a reasonable experience for anyone in your group.

Unfortunately, we just haven't made this decision yet and I felt it important for you to be aware.

Thank you.

This is what i was talking about, some games/servers if they put a ping cap limit, some do it high like 600ms+ and some do it like 200ms, was just hoping that the ping cap limit wasnt going to be too low so aussies can play on more populated servers with their american friends.

julias

6/29/2017 5:15:03 AM #9

I believe Caspian made a post in a somewhat similar thread a while back, while at first he seemed pretty clear in wanting/urging aussies to play on the APAC server, he eventually made another post that cleared things up a little bit more. I think he even shared an idea that was along the idea of giving aussies more of a hard download for the base game that made it so they weren't having to constantly stream/download certain things. I'm not tech savvy so my wording there could be entirely off but that was the impression I got anyway. But again, things can change in small amounts of time so who really knows what the play experience for Aussies on NAW would ultimately be like. As long as I can walk around and do some crafting/skills I'll be happy.

6/29/2017 5:38:15 AM #10

Posted By Julias at 1:52 PM - Thu Jun 29 2017

This is what i was talking about, some games/servers if they put a ping cap limit, some do it high like 600ms+ and some do it like 200ms, was just hoping that the ping cap limit wasnt going to be too low so aussies can play on more populated servers with their american friends.

End of the day, if you aren't planning to be some kind of title holder. Just check the ping in beta/when the game launches and see for yourself. If you are a title holder, well if you ever get jumped. You may as well just give them your title, that's how screwed you are. You really can't expect to hold your own when they have 30ish ping and you be rocking close to 250.

6/29/2017 6:44:06 AM #11

Wasn't going to hold a title, just wanted to play with my guild is all.

julias

6/29/2017 3:52:52 PM #12

Posted By Julias at 5:37 PM - Wed Jun 28 2017

Thanks heaps guys I pinged with those amazon servers at the moment with my current internet setup and my results were; US East (Ohio) 239 ms US-West (California) 222 ms US-West (Oregon) 201 ms

Which isn't too bad to be honest, Once i get NBN it will be much better I hope. Ill run another test in Sept to see if there's a difference. Glad to hear that I'm not going to be kicked out of a server because there is a ping cap limit.

I don't mean this discourage you, but this is terrible. The game will stream a lot of data to your pc, you won't be able to do anything meaningful with a ping like this. Keep in mind even crafting will require active player input, it'll be hard to do this consistently with a ping > 100 ms.

I strongly recommend you talk to some of the people from the AUS server. They have quite a nice community going, so this would be a good time to make new friends :).

Brash

6/30/2017 3:41:29 AM #13

Posted By Terrantal at 01:52 AM - Fri Jun 30 2017

Posted By Julias at 5:37 PM - Wed Jun 28 2017

I don't mean this discourage you, but this is terrible. The game will stream a lot of data to your pc, you won't be able to do anything meaningful with a ping like this. Keep in mind even crafting will require active player input, it'll be hard to do this consistently with a ping > 100 ms.

I strongly recommend you talk to some of the people from the AUS server. They have quite a nice community going, so this would be a good time to make new friends :).

i play on Life is Feudal and Arma 3 servers with 300+ ping and its not that bad lol

julias

6/30/2017 4:42:29 AM #14

I dunno if its worth mentioning now, as Serp said its to early to call.

I'm going abit too far ahead on this but if Im not mistaken there is a way to get a game packets trusted with most ISP. Which allows it bypass a few fire walls or security checks along its journey through the internet (From your PC to the games server and back).

So, trusted packets with the propper port forwarding could increase you connection strength by 30%-40%? Dont quote me on that there are other factors that can affect the connection aswell.

Something to think about... I don't have a networking degree so I could be dead wrong.

6/30/2017 5:06:32 AM #15

Posted By Julias at 01:37 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

Which isn't too bad to be honest, Once i get NBN it will be much better I hope. Ill run another test in Sept to see if there's a difference.

It won't be. There's no getting around latency, which is a different thing to bandwidth.

I'm on the NBN, in Sydney, on a 100/40 plan with fibre to the home - the fastest you can go at the present time on the NBN, and here's my ping to Amazon:

As you can see, Sydney has way less latency. You can also see, the rest are comparable to what you're already getting under ADSL2 (I presume)?

When there's a long distance to cover, it doesn't matter how "fast" your Internet is (its bandwidth); the data still has to travel a long way and is delayed (that's latency).

So NBN is great for working with local servers and that even includes Steam, which has local download servers, where I can be downloading games around 11MB/s which is heaps "fast", but it doesn't translate into better latency with an o/s server.

Hope this practical example is of some help.

I'll end by saying that I used to be of the opinion that because I could cope playing other MMOs at 200-300ms, that CoE would be a similar experience, but I'm now comfortable with the idea that because combat, in particular, is going to be more twitchy than many of the simplified auto-attack MMOs that are out there, that ping is going to really matter. Plus, it's nicer to play with people in the same timezone, anyway.

FWIW, I was KS Backer #21 and wanted nothing but the best for this game.