COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Gay people, where the heirs at?

Quite simply there is a lot of talk about building up dynasties and establishing a family name, and the fact you can have as many kids as rooms in your house. but how would that work with couples who cant reproduce, because they are both male, or both female or even if they are too old.

We know that there are 'wards of the state' in orphanages so assume theirs the option to adopt them, but these orphans start at a younger age then a normal child to offset the not having a family part so wouldn't that mean its better to adopt then to have kids of your own.

Also it raises the issues of orphan scarcity, if couples can choose to adopt these and players can outright join the game as wards of the state where do these orphans come from, surly not that many npc couples are killed while their children are spared to keep the town's orphanage constantly stocked? will it be possible to give up your kid for adoption if they had a roll you didn't like (even after the reroll)

So just a few questions about how that all works :P and even if their are tribe specific ways of handling stuff like this you know of?

6/29/2017 11:32:45 AM #1

While I don't know if you can adopt a ward, you still can get a Children with a surrogate mother/father. You can make a contract with them where you say that you made a children with another person and get the child code from that children.

6/29/2017 12:45:40 PM #2

Anyone can marry, but a child contract requires 1 male and 1 female. If you marry someone you can't have kids with, but still want kids, you will need to find a third party to make a child contract with.

Adoption will not be a part of the game. Wards of the state get customization advantages, so they would be overpowered if they could also join a family immediately. They can join a family through marriage, but I don't know if they get the family benefits only with their spouse and descendants, or with other members of the family as well.

The idea of giving up your children for adoption came up in a recent Q&A. The devs found the idea intriguing, but didn't come to a decision at that time. We'll see what they have to say as the game gets closer to launch.

Shieldwall Strong!

6/29/2017 2:03:14 PM #3

There have been no talk of giving kids up for adoption, though you could probably send your child away to another person to take care of (the mayor might want to send their child to be raised with the counts etc.)

Orphanages can't run out of people as far as we know, and one of the benefits from an orphanage is that you get all the customization options available (though I don't know about the genetic mutations) but more customization than if it was a child in your family (you can select gender and such, though I believe "tribe" will be specific depending on in what orphanage you wanna spawn, so if someone decides to mass genocide the kypiq you won't be able to create a kypiq in a Neran Orphanage. (also back in the day wards didn't get any of the benefits a normal born character would get (mutations)) but they start younger than your average child.

And their surname is from the Orphanage (aka. all the children from the Neran orphanage in the capital will have the same surname.)

But they'll spawn out of thin air is what I believe will most likely happen, though you can always destroy the orphanage in wars and such.

6/29/2017 2:24:48 PM #4

I was under the impression that an orphanage would be supplying a bed for your character for at least a few in-game years, so there would be some limitations on the number of wards that could be spawned in one area.

Shieldwall Strong!

6/29/2017 2:38:36 PM #5

I hope they do change their minds and offer adoption. Not all of us are comfortable going the surrogate route.

6/29/2017 3:15:40 PM #6

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 9:38 PM - Thu Jun 29 2017

I hope they do change their minds and offer adoption. Not all of us are comfortable going the surrogate route.

I hope they don't offer it and keep wards as they are. I'd be happy with a mentor system where as an older character, without children either never had any or they grew up, might do the charitable thing and act like a grandparent to an orphan and pass on some skills allowing them to be nominated heir. This could also give the teaching skill gains talked about in the professions DJ.

But same as in real life apart from some very simple creatures the act of reproduction requires a male and a female and if you make a personal choice to not have that option in your relationships suck it up and live with the end result.

Click Banner To Visit town. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

6/29/2017 3:32:19 PM #7

Posted By CATman4L at

Quite simply there is a lot of talk about building up dynasties and establishing a family name, and the fact you can have as many kids as rooms in your house. but how would that work with couples who cant reproduce, because they are both male, or both female or even if they are too old.

Your offspring don't have to be your heirs. There are many many cases throughout history and even in modern day of people selecting heirs who aren't family members, blood heir, adopted or otherwise.

The old saying of "your like the son i never had" springs to mind.

CoE will have a "master and pupil" type system setup for learning skills, so i wouldn't at all be surprised if you could select your pupil as your heir.

Main thing to remember is that your heir doesn't HAVE to be you spawning into another body, your heir is just someone who would inherit your stuff.

6/29/2017 3:34:02 PM #8

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 11:15 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

I hope they don't offer it and keep wards as they are. I'd be happy with a mentor system where as an older character, without children either never had any or they grew up, might do the charitable thing and act like a grandparent to an orphan and pass on some skills allowing them to be nominated heir. This could also give the teaching skill gains talked about in the professions DJ.

But same as in real life apart from some very simple creatures the act of reproduction requires a male and a female and if you make a personal choice to not have that option in your relationships suck it up and live with the end result.

So... why shouldn't we be allowed to adopt? Because you didn't offer a reason we can't adopt, you basically just said you rather we spread our legs for men.

6/29/2017 3:36:22 PM #9

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 10:34 PM - Thu Jun 29 2017

So... why shouldn't we be allowed to adopt? Because you didn't offer a reason we can't adopt, you basically just said you rather we spread our legs for men.

I said I like the current ward system that is no adoption.

6/29/2017 3:37:40 PM #10

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 11:36 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 10:34 PM - Thu Jun 29 2017

I said I like the current ward system that is no adoption.

Why?

6/29/2017 3:44:32 PM #11

WHY? It appeals to me that anyone who doesn't start in a family starts younger but without any hereditary holdings so can work with any skill ramps the soul may have but that's it.

But I will leave the discussion there before I rant about rainbow flag waving fanatics trying to enforce their minority but vocal ideals on a broader community.

6/29/2017 3:46:34 PM #12

Posted By SilkyBazaar at 11:44 AM - Thu Jun 29 2017

WHY? It appeals to me that anyone who doesn't start in a family starts younger but without any hereditary holdings so can work with any skill ramps the soul may have but that's it.

But I will leave the discussion there before I rant about rainbow flag waving fanatics trying to enforce their minority but vocal ideals on a broader community.

So... you don't actually have a real reason other than that you got a problem with LGBTQ people.

6/29/2017 3:58:16 PM #13

Yikes, this is getting out of hand faster than a flaming hamster.

It wouldn't be to hard for SBS to implement adoption, Considering orphanages are already a thing, but you would be sacrificing your ability to manipulate your genetics.

Count Einzbern of Aichhalt.

Kingdom of Ashland.

Duchy of Sanctaphandri.

Seated in Darmindatch.

6/29/2017 3:58:49 PM #14

Posted By CheshireGuevara at 01:34 AM - Fri Jun 30 2017

Spread our legs for men Not like this game is going to have any sex scene in it. I don't see the problem in gay couples going to be NPC and getting a contract for kids that way. You seem to have some deep issue over this. Probably be the same route I be going, since doubtful I find some player to breed with and seems so much easier.

So what is your problem with how the system currently works?

6/29/2017 4:00:13 PM #15

This discussion seemed to have veered off course a little bit.

Cheshire, I don't know exactly, but I believe the adoption system was ruled out due to a systems mechanic issue.

I wish there were adoption. It would add to realism and enable for flexibility within families such as the example OP gave.

In the real world, yes anyone can be an heir (doesn't have to be blood). But that isn't the case for the game. You will have to choose a family member to spark into. I believe that takes a little away from the game, but I plan on using a spark and soul to be my own wife.

Surrogacy isn't the ideal choice, but due to this being a game with limited mechanics, it may be the only choice for same sex couples to be able to pass holdings, titles, and skill ramps.