COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
CoE VS AoC

I love CoE with all my hearth, even if i dont yet have the means to back it financially. But today I checked out AoC (Ashes of Creation) which looks like will arrive approx the same time as CoE.

Do you think AoC will be a worthy competitor to CoE ? it has some interesting ideas. i still believe in CoE being the next big thing, i was just curious what you think

7/5/2017 2:34:01 PM #1

CoE is a sandbox MMORPG Think of albion, and eve, with even more sandbox elements, that even go into detail about letting players create the rules that people follow in their kingdoms, duchy, county, and Capital. IF you want a building a player or NPC has to build it.

AoC is a themepark game with some sandbox elements Think of it as a meld of GW2 and Archage.

They are completely different genres, that cater to different user experiences. And such different players, CoE is more of a niche game.

7/5/2017 2:35:55 PM #2

I don't care about AoC I invested into CoE. I come to these forums to read about CoE and not AoC. I feel if you are interested in AoC go write on there forums.

7/5/2017 2:40:18 PM #3

Moved to Tavern.

I think the two games are different enough to be games people can both play, instead of choosing one. I've backed both for that reason. No reason for people to get overly defensive of either game here, the thread will just get closed if it does.

7/5/2017 3:15:27 PM #4

I think AoC will struggle with marketing, as it's overall theme will get lost in the bunch with other games that do the same thing, whereas CoE will fit a more niche audience that will retain it's playerbase easier than AoC will.

Thats not to say one will beat the other with marketing, i just think CoE will have a clearer path, whereas AoC will just need to spam it's themepark type content to try and draw people in before the competition gets their fashionable screenshots out.

Also there's the fact that AoC picked the most generic acronym out there.... I always think of Age of Conan when i see AoC, even though i've never played it. So from the perspective of a casual onlooker, they are going to have to do a lot to convince me AoC is associated with their game and not another. Whereas CoE is relatively unique and stands out.

7/5/2017 3:31:21 PM #5

I was liking AoC. Still themepark, but a bit of sandbox. Until I read about the assaults on towns. You basically have a few hour window to pull it off. Not sure if the devs or players get to pick when that window is. But makes the whole thing just a giant instance. Then screws anyone over who can't be online at that given time.

It's KS did do awesome. But no, it's nothing like CoE imo. Really think they should have picked either themepark or sandbox though. Just sitting the middle, you piss off both sides.

7/5/2017 3:33:46 PM #6

TBH CoE will blow it out of the water.

7/5/2017 3:44:26 PM #7

AoC appeals to a broader audience and has better 'game' mechanics to it which will ultimately most likely allow it to outbox CoE in numbers. If I want to log on an MMO out of the two and do ranked PvP until I log off, CoE is not gonna be my pick. Likewise for PvE. Instead of simulating a life or journey it allows you to constantly be in the action which historically appeals to more players in games while the sandbox elements still give those searching for a non-wow clone something to latch onto.

CoE going for such a hardcore life sim also chooses to include the duller, tedious and more boring parts of life as wells creating a smaller audience. If I want to log into a bigger story and play as a character in that story then AoC isn't going to be my pick. The level of story and impact to that story CoE provides is bounds ahead of AoC.

Different reasons to play.

I don't know anymore.

7/5/2017 4:10:19 PM #8

With the money I am putting into CoE I want to be able to give it my full attention. Not splitting time between two games that will require about 4-6 hours per game/and day. But I am hoping others will spend less time in CoE playing multiple MMO's.

Just hope you have good scripts written to protect yourselves. I am guessing a PC vs OPC the advantage will go to the PC. Only so much a script can protect you against.

and as for the games being different, really depends on which one goes live first. I think the release date for both games are closer than everyone thinks.

7/5/2017 4:20:43 PM #9

From my limited understanding of both, I would suggest they are as similar as Pac-Man and Space Invaders... As different as they are similar, with different areas of focus.

The challenge that CoE will always have is that as a smaller studio it may need to either tap up a lot of influential reporters and magazines in order to get the same level of exposure that a larger software house could by either leveraging its scale, or by pumping money into advertising.

Hopefully, we, as passionate CoE community members, can help promote it in such a way when the time is right!

7/5/2017 6:48:41 PM #10

I've looked briefly into AoC. What I've seen of it reminds me of the advertising for Archeage, Black Desert and the like... a lot of shine, a lot of misleading use of terminology and labels. The two games are nothing alike in how they'll turn out; AoC is still quite close to the base MMO model, while CoE is a complete departure from it and strays closer to what I feel is genuine MMO territory. I'm always a little surprised that people think AoC will compete with this game. It'll succeed, no doubt about that. But AoC and CoE are on completely different levels, with completely different goals and likely different audiences. I don't feel like people who start out playing both will take long to cleave to either one or the other for good.

To touch Divinity, one must be prepared to brave Reality.

7/5/2017 7:14:34 PM #11

I think they are competing with each another, I seen names of players in both forums. So if players are checking both out, then aren't they competing with one another. Some of these names are very big supporters of CoE.

CoE with a smaller player base might be effected by players going to play AoC instead of CoE. Will have to wait to see what happens, but should depend more on the release date of both these MMO's.

Friend game me a Gift of Elyria so I can check out CoE. But I have not put any money into either game yet, so I am watching as more details come out for both games. I need to see more on combat in CoE to really make a better judgement call on either..