COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
The Darker skinned Mann

Off the bat I do understand that skin color in this game is based on a tribes biome and that characters in game won't be obsessed with such a thing. I'm writing this thread to spark healthy discussion by people who agree who disagree not to start a race war or something.

In the earlier days of development for chronicles of elyria, back when the tribes were barely even thought up or named. The team made a promise, they promised that this game would be a diverse and unique game unlike any other. When they finally announced the biomes that would be in the game I was elated to see biomes like

-Tropical rainforest -Arid Desert -Semi-Arid desert -Saltwater Mangroves -Savannah -Tropical Wetlands

Now when you see this list of these particular biomes what do these all have in common?

Those biomes are all found on and around the equator of the real world. The important thing to note about the earths equator is that it receives the highest amount of sun/UV than any other places on the planet. I'm assuming the Elyrian equator also follows these basic rules. Humans who live in the real world equator have adaptations that allowed them to survive on the equator. Just to list a few of the common adaptations you have of course

• More melanin in their bodies resulting in darker skin, eyes, and hair mainly to protect from UV damage
  • They grow less hair, this adaptation happened because obviously the less hair on one's body the easier it is to cool yourself down

Anyway I'm sure I'm stating the obvious with everything I've said up until this point. The tribes in chronicles of Elyria if you take out the 4 that will not appear at launch, have a pretty good balance of southern and northern tribes you have the Brudvir, Hrothi, Neran, and Kypiq who are all more or less northern tribes and something you would notice about those tribes is they are all mostly Caucasian, the Neran and Kypiq are tanner but still very Caucasian in terms of facial features and hair type. The Northern tribes are all perfect in my opinion, they look adapted to their biome.

Now let's get into the meat of this thread the 4 Southern tribes of the elyrian starting continent.

1. Dras - swamp: pale white skin
  2. Janoa - Tropical rainforest: Medium to Tan skinned
  3. To'resk - tropical freshwater wetland: Medium skinned
  4. The Waerd - Semi-Arid Desert: Dark brown skinned

Do you notice an imbalance hear compared to the Northern tribes and what we know about the people who evolved along the equator on our planet? The equator is hot and it receives the most sun and has the longest summers

Sun=UV radiation=Dark skinned people

To'resk: The To'resk live in the tropical wetlands which if you didn't know they don't  have very few tree canopies to hide from sun with, the To'resk are medium skinned but have a bonus for being able to be out in the sun longer. They have tough skin yes but pale skin is susceptible to the sun because it is pale. The To'resk should be Tan to Light brown in my opinion

The Waerd: the Waerd have dark brown skin and live in the Arid Desert, this is good. It makes sense how dark their skin is but remember among all 8 tribes only one has brown skin

The Janoa: If the Janoa are supposed to be elyrian analogs for the ancient south American empires such as Myan and Aztec then they are well. As well since their environment provides enough protection from harsh rays it makes sense they wouldn't be as dark as the other tropical tribes. That being said in the real world black skinned people do live in jungles of the Cango basin and have not evolved lighter skin because of it, on the contrary the African tribes that live in the jungles along the equator of Africa have the darkest complexion on the planet. The Janoa could have brown skinned members as well as tan skinned members.

Dras: the Dras I believe are supernaturally or magically pale for a reason unknown to us now as so they get a pass for being pale. Although since their skin is very vulnerable to the sun they realistically wouldn't survive along the equator. From a evolutionary stand point.

In summary I believe that the devs should take another look at the "diversity" in their starting continent tribes lineup. The Waerd stand out like black ink on white sheets, they should not be the only brown or dark brown skinned southern tribe.

The Duke Morbis while reading the Janoa and Waerd write up also said they should be darker so i know I'm not alone in this.

Were you guys expecting the southern tribes to be darker also or do you think the tribe lineup is diverse enough as it is.

This is not about the tribes culture, this is only about aesthetics.

7/13/2017 12:03:08 PM #1

hmm a i see why no one wanted to touch this thread hahaha very very touchy subject you brought up there hahaha.

But i am gonna have to disagree with you on a few points.

• Dras has been explained why they are pale and why they have issues with Sun burns as they are in a perpetual fog/misty environment. personally i feel the burns they get from the sun is a little op and that heroiti should be more inclined to this being underground people who bearly see the sun.. but yes.

• and diversity is quite there there are some races that have very asian pigments and some with very defined Green pigments serusely cant get more diverse then green.

now another thing to note is that the 4 races which are from the more extreme environments have not had the skin color event mentioned so we could have some darker Sking pigments among the 2 desert/survanna tribes.

so before we go all out on SBS not being deverse how about we give them a chance to post all 12 tribes. remember they had to change there plan to only have 8 tribes and when they made the promise to be diverse they had clear in intent to have 12 tribes in with random 8 on diffrent servers.

also remember that SBS also dose not wish to be locked into constraints of our world. so i feel it unfair to try and push earth logic onto Eylria.

personally i dont care what color the tribes are as long as they are distinctly different that i could tell a tribe at a distance. (bow shot hehehe)

but yes the last thing we should turn this into is a color debate it is just not right any way you look at it. plus we are all bleed red... except this one guy he has green blood... somthing odd about him i just cant place it...

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/13/2017 12:46:39 PM #2

Think the concept art gives a huge misleading look at the tribes, both about body mass and skin color.

Dras for example look nothing like the skin and bones i've seen people be at their written height and weight.

Have no idea why they use much paler and sickly yellow colors in the pictures compared to what they ingame will be.

How dark is olive, tann or medium..? shrug Who knows, much darker than the art anyhows.

7/13/2017 12:52:42 PM #3

I feel like Dras should be more than pale. They should be either slightly blue/grey or green/grey.

Yes, we haven't seen all 12 tribes yet but I really expected the the Waerd and other desert people to look way darker, even though color would not be an influencing factor for me when selecting a tribe to play.

7/13/2017 1:09:58 PM #4

I think we will be able to choose much darker and varied Skin in the game than what we see on the rough first concept art that we see here. Personally I don't like the artstyle, not only because I too think it doesnt really fit the description of the tribes, but it works as a rough first look at the tribes. I'm confident we'll see darker coloured skin in most tribes that fit having it, departing from what we saw on the concept art.

7/13/2017 2:22:48 PM #5

The thought police declare that this thread is racist.

Carry on.

7/13/2017 3:03:47 PM #6

Already well-explained by Fenrer and Nakhum, but I too think that the concept art just doesn't fit with the description of the tribes. Those yellowish colours are just misleading as well as the height/muscles.

Anyhow, I totally agree with the topic and hope to have at least one full black tribe (Erishé? Even if I imagine them more as nomadic, middle-east men. My personal idea anyway) and as well many of The Weard/few Janoas. For biodiversity justice I really hope to see asian shaped eyes in many tribes (don't know why, but especially To'resk!).

To answer you Mandrake, of course Elyria is not our world, but undoubtedly the same dev. team based the tribes on realistic elements and so, naturally, we tend to do the same.

Only excepton for skin color? The Dras: really see them as the outstanding high-fantasy tribe.

7/13/2017 3:17:21 PM #7

I like the train of thought, however when they came up with skin tone it's more about what biome they are in. IE: How much sun exposure the race gets, it's somewhat the same here, it's not about the closeness to the equator in real life the darker the people. It's the amount of sun exposure in real life too.

Pretty much most of south america has lighter skin tones than most of Africa. there is some deserts within south america, but that's not the main biome, The rain-forest is one of the most dominant ecosystems in south america. The continent is within the equator, they are lighter skinned than the middle eastern people, which are in deserts, which by the way is in the roughly the same meridian that is the us. India's people also are largely darker skin toned than the people from south america.

The whole Idea that equator is what governs the darkness of the skin and the biome isn't the indicator is a bit misleading. Sure it could be one of the factors however that's generally not how this happens to work out.

The places that are in drier ecosystems, places where they didn't run from the sun as much, or couldn't happen to have darker skin. Most of the desert climates, and savanna climates are where the more melanin reside.

I would say it's inconclusive that it's the closeness to the equator, or the biome that has the biggest influence. We also don't have the map to know where the simi-arid desert is within the game

7/13/2017 4:33:03 PM #8

Posted By Arfen at 01:03 AM - Fri Jul 14 2017

To answer you Mandrake, of course Elyria is not our world, but undoubtedly the same dev. team based the tribes on realistic elements and so, naturally, we tend to do the same.

Only excepton for skin color? The Dras: really see them as the outstanding high-fantasy tribe.

yes this is indeed true thus why we get alot of native american feel to a few tribes and other cultures. hell the toresk have a very venena feel.

so ofcause they will bring in some ideas from our world but they clearly stated in the tribe Q&A's why they were very clear to state that why these tribes may have some traits simliar to our world they would do things as well that have absolutely no bearing on our world.

they did not want to be be tied down to our world conventions. this dose not mean they would not base stuff on our world but if somthing did not fit with there view on how eylria should be then well earth be dammed they would go another way hehehe

Click Banner To Visit County. Join me on Discord: https://discord.gg/V6aCA2X

7/13/2017 5:13:23 PM #9

Personally I think the tribes are extremely diverse... varying cultures and widely varying physical appearance, there are no africans or asians or europeans or americans, there's just Elyrians.

7/13/2017 5:16:29 PM #10

Ok, let me address this one more time.

We based our skin-color on a function that was calculated using latitude, cloud coverage, and foliage. In general, the closer to the equator / the more sun someone gets, the darker their skin is due to increased melanin. Of course, we made exception in some cases such as the Yoru, and a bit on Dras for dramatic effect or for making them a bit more mid-fantasy. And yeah, the Janoa have stripes, so there's that.

If you're curious, here's the actual skin color values we're currently using:

Von Luschan's chromatic scale

As an example, "Dark Brown" is 28-34 on the scale, so you'd expect to see a "pure" member of the Waerd somewhere in that range. Of course, as tribe members cross-breed with others their skin coloring will change.

The same is true for the rest of the tribes. If you were to look at Von Luschan's scale, and the description of each of the tribes, you'd find that all their skin colors are a bit lighter than the values we're using in-game. This wasn't intentional, it was just a by-product of the concept art not matching the values we're using in-game.

That said, I went ahead and quickly adjust the saturation and darkness on our tribe line-up to make it more closely match the color values we're using in-engine.

Here's an updated version of the line-up so you have a better idea of skin color across the tribes.

Updated tribes

7/13/2017 5:22:29 PM #11

Neran too yellow, we not the Simpsons!

More like the Brodvir or at least between what they are now and the Brodvir.

7/13/2017 5:26:44 PM #12

That looks damn good and pretty diverse to me! With that being said we still have two desert tribes, the ice giants, and some sailors! Diversity of mann seems to be balanced very nice!

7/13/2017 5:27:28 PM #13

Posted By Shrewdcrow at 10:22 AM - Thu Jul 13 2017

Neran too yellow, we not the Simpsons!

More like the Brodvir or at least between what they are now and the Brodvir.

Nerans typically suffer from liver failure? I dunno...

7/13/2017 5:56:10 PM #14

edit: missed caspian's post better explaining what I did

7/13/2017 5:59:59 PM #15

I think it's supposed to be olive skin and remember Caspian said these things.

"Adjusted saturation and darkness" so it won't give the exact skin colour.

"Closer to what we are using in the engine" So not an exact replica of what they are using.