COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
Suggestion: Dynamic Soul Affinity/Aversion

Very excited would-be player here, haven't yet decided which pledge package to purchase, but I've never been this excited for an upcoming game before and can't wait to get in on the Alpha/Betas and Exposition.

With everything I've read about Souls and Reincarnation, Soul Mates, Fate, and so on, I was thinking about a related idea that could make for some very interesting story points and pressures on players. Here is one basic scenario to illustrate the idea:

I player encounters and engages in a struggle with an NPC/monster foe. One of the two is victorious and the other defeated. Through the natural cycle of reincarnation, the souls of both player and foe enter new physical forms, possibly with the lives of those new bodies overlapping in time. The souls of both have a memory of their conflict from the prior lifetimes, and perhaps there is a link of some sort between the souls, something drawing them together ever so slightly. Perhaps they do not meet again in those next lives, and that link fades away. However, suppose they do encounter and fight one another again. Now, that link is strengthened a little more, so that in their third incarnations there might be even more chance of being drawn together. After some number of lifetimes, if these souls repeatedly cross paths and struggle against one another, each becomes a "Nemesis" of the other... effectively fated to do battle over and over, in different forms and in different ways.

This same idea need not only be for combat or enemies, but could apply to companions/friends/benefactors. Unlike the soul mate idea, this would not be pre-determined, but rather developed through the game as a result of choices and interactions.

I imagine this might be a complicated mechanic to implement, but some of the framework is likely to be there already between souls, reincarnation, fate and the story points being generated, soul memory, etc.

Anyhow, I'd be curious to know what others think of this idea. Thanks.

-- Tientuine

7/13/2017 4:38:52 PM #1

I believe this is already integrated with the soul mate system. If your soul mate falls on the opposite affinity of light/dark then you, you'll be destined to kill each other regardless.

7/13/2017 4:59:18 PM #2

Thanks for your reply. I must have missed that detail when reading about soul mates.

Still, if I understand correctly, that is pre-determined and each soul has just one soul mate. There difference here is that player actions can draw two souls together (for better or worse) over several lifetimes, and these bonds can be developed with multiple souls. It also would work with creatures if they have souls, too.

Maybe there's already enough interesting mechanics around souls that this wouldn't be a notable addition, but it was something that I was thinking about (initially from the high fantasy point of view, with a hero and a powerful enemy like a dragon/sorcerer, but then generalizing).

Edit: I guess another way to characterize the difference between my idea and the existing soul mate mechanics is that the existing mechanic is correctly referred to as a kind of Fate while what I am describing might be better called Karma.