COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Progression of time and tech

i was wondering how technologies develop through time, as generated by the soulborn engine to react? as i was informed that it would start of in a suedo bronze age and develop into a industrial age, steam punk age. i think that if they are doing it this way then, it should be one still stooped in a somewhat medieval tech based time with it just being really advance tech. with few guns. if this is in the wrong section plz inform me i am new, sorry.

7/21/2017 2:58:32 PM #1

nothing really?

7/21/2017 3:08:15 PM #2

I don't think anyone really knows yet, i imagine we discover/find new recepes and such and go from there?

"We're all connected;
To eachother, biologically; To the earth, chemically; To the rest of the universe, atomically." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Friendcode: 205FC9

7/21/2017 3:09:26 PM #3

First off welcome to the forums.

As for your question no one can give you a real answer as research isn't something that has been nailed down yet. Research does exist and you can work toward advancing it in certain areas. Specifics are still TBD.

For now though I can point you toward a couple of threads and the wiki to learn more about what we as a community know.

New player FAQ

New comer starter pack

Community Wiki

7/21/2017 3:52:26 PM #4

One thing I can say is that SBS does not force the server to push ahead in tech the server has to do it themselves. If no one were to research then the world wouldn't grow.

7/21/2017 5:04:31 PM #5

And also, a lot of people get excited about potential steampunk. While Caspian has made comments about it, people have speculated and the like, no where should you expect steampunk to happen or necessarily be something intended. Even if we were to hyper focus on a research tree things might prevent it from happening, be it time, limitations of the game, or something else.

7/21/2017 7:58:28 PM #6

My current understanding of research is that once you reach a certain skill level, you will be able to increase your production speed or research new technology each time you craft. Each of these options will require additional material and/or have a higher chance of failure. If you choose to research a new technology, you can shoose which aspect of the item you want to improve (ie make it lighter, make it stronger, create a new but similar item, etc), everyone's research on an entire server will be tracked and after sufficient research has been done someone will make a new discovery.

Shieldwall Strong!

7/24/2017 1:23:54 AM #7

thanks for all your responses, i think i understand now. we will just have to wait and see.

11/12/2017 4:10:11 AM #8

Posted By CommonlyQuixotic at 3:58 PM - Fri Jul 21 2017

My current understanding of research is that once you reach a certain skill level, you will be able to increase your production speed or research new technology each time you craft. Each of these options will require additional material and/or have a higher chance of failure. If you choose to research a new technology, you can shoose which aspect of the item you want to improve (ie make it lighter, make it stronger, create a new but similar item, etc), everyone's research on an entire server will be tracked and after sufficient research has been done someone will make a new discovery.

It was my understanding that it would be the opposite - that you would fail less as you leveled up your skills and thusly be rewarded with experience only for failures. That was to ensure that novices leveled relatively faster than masters