COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Naming Conventions

What are the naming conventions for characters (both first and last names), baronies, counties, duchies, and kingdoms?

I mean, it would be very incongruent to come across a duchy named Caledon ruled by Duke Leto Atreides, in the Kingdom of the Galactic Empire ruled by King Darth Vader.

Are there any conventions governing the use of fictional personages and places, and the likeness of non-fictional persons and places?

7/23/2017 4:51:18 AM #1

SBS could probably make rules for places, cities, counties, duchy and kingdom but as for character names I don't think it would be feasible honestly to enforce a specific style of name on players. I believe they are going to be approving the family name that those of us bloodline and above are picking, but as for first names I doubt they could individually approve tens if not hundreds of thousands of players' names. Surnames is a much easier task in comparison.

So I mean overall I think the bulk of the names won't be terribly out in left field with like "John Sucks City" or anything like that, but you couldn't reasonably control players' first name beyond disallowing inappropriate words. But permanent things like family names and places need only be checked once in a while so much more manageable IMO.

Aspiring Lumberjack, NA-W

7/23/2017 9:46:58 AM #2

Caspian said we most lickly won't get anything like this before land selection

7/26/2017 4:49:58 AM #3

Also Drachenfire cities can be renamed by cartographers so if there is a city near you named for example "Constance Pated Palace" you could hire cartographers to make maps with the city named something completely different such as "High Guard" and the NPC's will start calling it that and so will the players because the maps are the resource of information for them.

They will almost definitely, and I say this because they haven't confirmed it, have regular naming restrictions so no profanity or racial slurs.