COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
The potential benefits of Roleplay and the lore

As a gamer I am not a hard core role player, more like your "weekend warrior" role player.

But what I really enjoy about games is the Lore, the story behind it all, the hidden secrets that can only be read between the lines, the lies and intrigue between communities, the creation of friendships and the breaking of oaths.

And when I discovered CoE I felt that this could be the game that'll reward players for discovering the back story, learning from Elyrian History if you will.

With the dev journals on the tribes, I got to learn what I'm assuming is the cliff notes of how the tribes came to be and why their culture and religion is the way it is.

Almost instantly I started thinking of what kind of secrets the tribes would have, maybe previous tribal leaders were well known and respected for events and such and left a hidden artifact somewhere in the world, maybe story's of a lost city will lead you to find ancient technology would push your kingdom past the current Elyrian technology, maybe the childhood song about the disease that could only be cured by eating tree bark isn't just a childhood song...

While I know many players are going to change the culture and religion of their characters for the sake of their gameplay, I'm wondering what the ramifications of the sudden shift could be.

While it's hard to think of the downfalls of not meeting your cultural expectations outside of tribal exclusion it is a bit easier to imagine what kind of repercussions a vengeful god might have.

Imagine if 40% of all Christians switched to a different religion over night, now imagine if this was a world where entire communities witnessed the act of a God that helped them through a hard time in recently (objectively recent).

I would imagine that god would be rather pissed...

What do you think are some possible ramifications of the sudden shift in cultural and religious beliefs outside of civil war?

7/30/2017 7:33:04 PM #1

Uhh who cares? The game is supposed to be dynamic. Why would they punish change?

People just need to stop over thinking the game and wait till it launches.

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~

7/30/2017 7:39:37 PM #2

Why wouldn't they punish change? Culture and religion are some very important facets of any society so it would be rather unrealistic if there wasn't any sort of punishment.

And yes this is a dynamic ever changing world, but just because it can change doesn't mean it should.

Also, take into context that I'm talking about things that'll be tribe wide cultural and religious changes and not so much on the individual level.

7/30/2017 7:44:59 PM #3

Also if you'd like a historical example, there's the "Martyrs of Japan" who were crucified to repress Christianity from becoming a rising religion in Japan. That's one example of a repercussion for changing the way things are.

7/30/2017 7:56:54 PM #4

I get the feeling from SBS that yes it is possible to for players to change things. However, I don't believe it is going be easy or fast when tying to make huge cultural changes. You would have to gain the support of your players and NPCs first.

Unfortunately, the Nobility, which is a small percentage of the community, might have the ability to change the Cultures of the Tribes more drastically and quickly than the majority of players. It is my opinion that SBS is/or should be creating game mechanics that will make it more difficult for the World Builders to completely change a tribe's Culture before launch.

It would be a shame for players at launch not to be able to start out by enjoying the tribes as they have been written.

So with that being said, I don't think there will be a sudden shift (Unless it is able to be created by an incoming Monarch). As for the long term ramifications? Just like real life much of the culture will eventually be lost and change. Unless of course, we the players decide we want to keep it alive. :)

7/30/2017 8:05:44 PM #5

I agree with Mystic, but I don't know how much influence the PC population would have in the matter, not because of any NPC>PC kinda deal or anything but more so just because player characters will probably care less what the culture/religion is so long as they don't have to adjust their gameplay style too drastically.

But we will just have to see how government systems work in CoE and what kind of things NPCs actually do in game.

UDL

7/30/2017 8:10:03 PM #6

Also in terms of the tribes, I wonder what it would be like for new players jumping in on year 5 of the 10 year story.

Would there be an updated tribe dev journal for each server just so new players get an idea of what the tribes are like then? Or would there be no context for new players to see the mechanical benefits and disadvantages of different tribes? Or even if there is a distinction mechanically between each tribe or would cross breeding be done so rapidly that there'd barely be any pure blooded tribe members.

UDL

8/1/2017 6:23:04 AM #7

Definitely with you on there being plenty of hidden gems tied to the lore for those inquisitive enough to find them.

At the same time hidden locations could just be stumbled upon, which would be a bit of a let down for somebody coming in after following all the clues.

Friend & Conquest Code: 6B3A23

8/1/2017 11:45:07 AM #8

I don't know what repercussions other than social there will be for changing religions. It will depend on how involved SBS wants the gods to be in Elyria. If they have some sort of direct influence, there could be major repercussions.

As for cultural changes, I get the impression that most of the cultures are built around the idea that it is a good way to survive in that particular biome. There could be other ways, but I think some changes players will make could make it much harder to live in that biome. I don't think there will be only social implications to cultural shifts.

I don't think I've ever seen a game where the roleplay and lore is as closely tied to the mechanics as in CoE. I'm inluding tabletop RPG's when I say that. Choices made based on lore and roleplay will have major mechanical consequences in CoE.

Shieldwall Strong!

8/1/2017 3:30:46 PM #9

This is similar to a question I posed for the last tribes Q&A (which I haven't watched so don't know if it was addressed). It asked how much of the culture/behavior/norms of a tribe would be programmatic, and how much would rely on player behavior/RP. We've not heard much at all to date on how actual systems will work in CoE, what the logic will be, how the game will allow/disallow activities etc. I imagine, given the complexity, for something like adhering to societal norms, the majority will need to be on the players' shoulders. But I would like to know what, if anything, CoE thinks may be possible on the game side.

Avid wiki editor, with a special interest in categories, navboxes, and infoboxes.

8/1/2017 7:42:17 PM #10

There was a mention that characters created down the line, say 4 years or later into the game will receive older souls, souls with multiple lifetimes already. How this will translate into the skill ramps is anyone's guess but they will be trying to bring the new characters up to speed as fast as they can.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the