COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
How will one gain a talent?

I know how the in-game mechanic works with the pool of talents and all of the nitty gritty that goes along with it. But, I'm asking if you think that the player will wake up one day knowing they can shape shift or if the soul bound engine will have something more elaborate set-up like absorbing the soul of a demon or drinking the blood of a dragon.

hello

8/2/2017 1:27:50 AM #1

I was actually wondering about that too, sure your skills will improve and you could probably have your character study using the script program i heard about. Maybe there will be ordained powers achievable as gifts from gods or such, how rare is magic would be a good thing to know too. If it's all willy nilly magic then everyone can have some and thats fine, but if you have to bust your ass to get it that would be cool too.

8/2/2017 1:50:47 AM #2

When it comes to magic, I think it should be very rare and taboo and subsequently, when you used right, incredibly powerful.

As in, a singular magical person, if used correctly and with sufficient training and practice over many years of their life, single handedly enough to topple a kingdom. This would make them an obvious threat, aswell as the likelihood of Kings/Queens placing bounties on magical players to take out the threat before they reach their full potential.

As for other talents, I think it depends on the talent. Some of them I believe are going to be just luck on if you have it or not, some might be from achieving certain things or being the first to do something. I don't thin the devs have fully announced how they'll make it work yet, but I believe they'll use it for dynamic storyelling.

8/2/2017 2:18:32 AM #3

From the way the creators talk about it in the Q&As and the design journals, it seems that if you aren't born with a talent, the soulbound engine will likely give it to you through some sort of story arc (if you're one of the lucky few). As you know, all talents need to be activated by a certain set of conditions. So it is likely that the engine will manipulate the events in the game such that it steers the player towards discovering the talent.

Take this CoE Character Census so that the community can see where people are planning to start and what tribes they want!

Friend Code: 4E637C