COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
How much power will nobility have?

This is something that I am completely unaware of but will counts, dukes, and ect. have complete power over their subjects and laws of the land? I'm just wondering because I can already see my self getting pissed because I move from one county to another and break some law unknown to me. I know it seems like the most realistic option available, so I would like to have some idea of what the devs have planned and what the community at large thinks of such a system.

hello

8/2/2017 7:32:43 AM #1

Hmmm... Here's my take on it since I don't think we really have much info on it yet.

Nobility will have quite a fair bit of power implementing the laws of their land. Reference implicit contract here. These laws will include laws on tax code, criminal code, citizenship, land ownership and inheritance. However, nobility will not be able to make laws that will force players that will do things out of their own will. I once asked the Devs if conscription was possible and the answer was a flat no. So yah, while it is a fair bit of power, it will not be complete.

There is a another part to your question however, that is if they will have complete power over their subjects, which I intepret as being able to enforce their laws. Well, that depends I guess. Some nobles might employ a ton of sheriffs to enforce their laws and some are more laissez faire. Some might even have a "secret police" to enforce it. But whatever it is, I'm sure the Devs will have something in place to prevent the nobles from causing grief, or at least excessive grief to other players. (I am sure they are happy to let psychomaniacal nobles destroy themselves).

Anyway, it's just my opinion and I don't know too much about it, but I hope it helped allay some of your fears.

Best thing you can do is post your question in the next open Q&A or a Q&A on laws or contracts or hope Caspian replies here. 😝

8/2/2017 9:27:02 AM #2

When it comes to this, I think it's important to note the way things work in Elyria as a whole and what the nobility's purpose is.

We all know that the nobility acts as the ruling class and, as such, retain a significantly higher level of fame than the average player/character. I like to reference DJ#18 when it comes to queries like this. As Idioticmaddog said, the nobility has quite a bit of autonomy when it comes to the laws in place in their domain, as well as their respective enforcement. While, yes, we won't be able to force other players to abide by certain laws and while we may not be able to forge some laws altogether, the nobility plays a very significant role in Chronicles of Elyria.

As a player, unowned or 'state' property must be purchased directly from the count and the taxes negotiated between the individuals. Roads are commissioned by the same and to experience the full benefits of running a town, you need to register with the count. Even in adverse possession, you must make an 'offer' for what you are willing to pay in taxes, and if the count isn't happy with it, you can expect company.

Let's say you're a budding businessman (or woman) who has chosen to purchase a good number of plots and settle with some friends. Your little settlement grows rather quickly and now you want to be officially recognized as a mayor. However, your bright idea for a town name is Buttsville. Now, regardless of whatever may have possessed you to think of such a horrid and unappealing name, you're quite proud of it, and you go to register your town in high spirits. Now the count (or whoever may have that responsibility) is tasked with allowing or disallowing your town to be officially recognized as 'Buttsville' they have to decide if they want that on the same map as Winterhold or Aeredale. I, being a count, would not produce maps, nor allow you to produce your own, that sully the name of my good county.

This is where things get interesting; you now have an issue with your reigning count and you have the choice to either comply with his not irrational request to change the name or fight against his 'tyranny.' You can attempt to set up your own county seat, produce and distribute maps through your own means, or go take over the current seat of power, you could even just leave...

Now, this is just one example, but the beauty of this game is in the stories it will create, even something so simple a count not building the roads you want or a duke unwilling to make you a sheriff or baron is enough to create a dramatic story. In my honest opinion, the nobles have a great deal of power, and the ability to dramatically shift the storyline if they so please.

8/2/2017 7:13:49 PM #3

thanks Artsykidd and Idioticmaddog, I think that those were really concise and thought out answers.

hello

8/2/2017 7:22:54 PM #4

Eh, join a powerful military family and you won't have to worry about laws

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~

8/2/2017 7:38:25 PM #5

Yes, you could bring Posted By Idioticmaddog at 02:32 AM - Wed Aug 02 2017

Nobility will have quite a fair bit of power implementing the laws of their land. Reference implicit contract here.

An example given in one of the q\as (or maybe it was discord)

was there could be a law (implicit contract) that you must wear a red hat in this county.

If your caught in the county without wearing a red hat, even if you didn't know it was the law.

You could be punished for your transgression. Though it would depend on how the law was written. as the law may be written that the first time is a verbal warning.

8/2/2017 8:22:34 PM #6

Yea this OP brings up a good point. People that don't normally role play will have to stay up to date with the role playing so as not to get screwed by such non sense.

But I suppose role playing will basically comprise the entire scope of politics and most of ruling. Idk I just don't have time for that. And not everyone who plays will either.

But seeing as how rules are just rules until they're enforced, I don't imagine people will be hunting down non red hatters. Unless it's trigger happy grunts looking to kill someone.

8/2/2017 9:51:43 PM #7

Also keep in mind that if you live in a small hamlet or even a village that isn't even on the map then the nobles really have no power over you since they wont even know you exist.

8/2/2017 9:53:34 PM #8

Before a law becomes an implicit contract it would have to be posted in public in the county seat... and would likely be distributed to the towns of the county to post in their town halls. So you don't really have to 'keep up with the roleplay' to know what the laws are, you just have to visit town occasionally and pay attention.

While ignorance of the law is no excuse, I'm guessing if a law has just recently been changed and you hadn't yet had a chance to view it, or if you've just entered a new county and were unaware of the law, that would be a mitigating factor in the court. On the other hand, nobody says the court is always fair, so some places you might just want to avoid by their reputation for picking on travelers.

8/2/2017 10:50:02 PM #9

I suppose your right. The laws shouldn't be too hard to follow and pay attention to. I was mostly going off topic to politics and roleplaying.

8/3/2017 2:36:23 AM #10

Posted By CptBloodBeard at 3:22 PM - Wed Aug 02 2017

Eh, join a powerful military family and you won't have to worry about laws

The Local Count or Duke would have more power in the field than a 'Powerful military family'. So try to ignore the KINGDOM'S laws and that entire 'powerful military family' will get you stripped of position, lands, and any welcome inside that Duke's lands if not the entire Kingdom.

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

8/3/2017 3:20:48 AM #11

Posted By Pigsy at

This is something that I am completely unaware of but will counts, dukes, and ect. have complete power over their subjects and laws of the land? I'm just wondering because I can already see my self getting pissed because I move from one county to another and break some law unknown to me. I know it seems like the most realistic option available, so I would like to have some idea of what the devs have planned and what the community at large thinks of such a system.

Much of that will depend on the Kingdom you're part of. Your choice of Duchy and County MIGHT also make a difference. In The Kingdom Vornair a Council of Dukes comprised of all the Dukes in the kingdom. Laws will come from this council not just the Crowns. The laws for the Kingdom will be easily viewable by all in the Kingdom. In a Duchy the Duke/Duchess will be able to create additional laws as needed. In the County the Count/Countess can create laws as needed. The Mayor of the town you are located in can also create additional laws as needed.

At each level you have the right to speak with your mayor to get advice on any law you dislike. You can also appeal to anyone up to the crown. For the most part as long as taxes are paid and your local township is supported the Nobility gives local citizens much freedom.

Most laws will deal with crimes such as killing, theft, destruction of property and aiding an enemy against your Kingdom. The laws are meant to protect citizens of the Kingdom from destructive actions of others.

The closer to the Township you call home the more ability you have to have your voice heard on issues. If you have questions on the laws of a Kingdom? Then get into as their kingdom chats and ask questions.

Governor of Fararo, In service to Duchess Hela and Duke Nimb Zephyr of The Anemoi and their TRM King Evelake Rhyne and Queen Lagertha Rhyne of Vornair. Join the Dance of Destiny because 'Winter is Coming.' Friend code: 3F53D0

8/3/2017 3:39:48 AM #12

Posted By Steevo at 5:51 PM - Wed Aug 02 2017

Also keep in mind that if you live in a small hamlet or even a village that isn't even on the map then the nobles really have no power over you since they wont even know you exist.

The Duchies and Counties are seamless so there is no 'Unclaimed' land to build on inside the kingdom. Until the Local Noble finds out about your Squatter village. Then you will have to answer for building on land you do not own.

If lucky you will be offered a chance to join the Duchy and County you are in. You might also be fined for doing so. It would depend on your explanation to the Duke and Count as to why you built on their land.

If not so lucky they may send you packing.