COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Community ambassador

Whilst I love the idea of this and think it's a good idea I have a concern.

Allowing people more that one vote and allowing people the chance to vote no has sort of made this a popularity contest.

Now I'm using this as an example because he has the biggest community and in no way think this has actually happened.

If Adam gets all his community to vote for him and against everyone else he could potentially win a spot based on the pure size if his community not on his contribution.

This would count for anyone else with a large community behind them

8/17/2017 9:04:57 AM #1

From what i understood, the process involves more than pure votes, SBS will also take into consideration the comments and who's voting for who.

Also remember that even the largest community here is but a minority in the grand CoE crowd.

Also i think the ambassador adventure needs some faith in the community, ambassador are going to help and guide without any consideration for who needs help. Sure enough some ambassador will be more at ease on some subjects or with some language but they will help any one who needs help even if from an other server or an enemy kingdom or tribe .....

mandrake1980 nominated me, i do not know if he was the only one, we more often than not disagree on assumptions and theory crafting but not on facts or when it comes to point people to the right sources, if i had been only nominated by people from the kingdom i joined, even if they are great people, i would have turned down the invitation.

I do not know if i'll make it past the voting step, i do not know if at some point nominee will be able to see the vote comments or not, ut i'm sure that i do not want to be the ambassador of a subgroup, of a community inside the CoE family, i want to be an ambassador for all of us. To me it is not a popularity contest, i hope people like me :) but i do not seek that i want them to say if i know my CoE enough to help and if i'm cool headed enough to step in some mined threads and point people out of it to the safety of official knowledge.

8/17/2017 9:54:10 AM #2

Yeah i don't think the voting is going to decide if people get the ambassador title or not, because if it did, you could publicly see the voting amounts, whereas you can't.

Only guessing but i'm thinking that voting will only matter in cases where they result is overwhelmingly negative, rather than a large positive vote, as positive votes can be pushed by an individual community.

8/17/2017 10:32:18 AM #3

Posted By Nagash at 10:54 AM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Yeah i don't think the voting is going to decide if people get the ambassador title or not, because if it did, you could publicly see the voting amounts, whereas you can't.

Only guessing but i'm thinking that voting will only matter in cases where they result is overwhelmingly negative, rather than a large positive vote, as positive votes can be pushed by an individual community.

And vice versa with negative votes pushed by a community.

8/17/2017 12:16:05 PM #4

I didn't vote any negative votes, picked three out of list that seem to put in extra effort for helping Elyria. Based ot on my experience alone or what I witnessed.

Some I haven't had contact with, some I have had conversations with on discord or forums (messages). I am going over did they have good feedback or was it speculation. Did they understand and answer my question.

8/17/2017 1:06:44 PM #5

Something I want to point out. There are as many spots open as there are people willing to fill them. In the OPs example what would be the point of voting down a bunch of possible ambassadors? It's not like they are competing against each other.

This program is really all about validating what we all largely know. Who are the community leaders the people who bring next level insight and curated knowledge to the forums and consistently are the folks we all turn to for answers.

While rigging the vote is highly unlikely given those who have been nominated SBS does have safeguards in place to prevent this from happening.

Serp and the rest of the community team at SBS have spent a lot of time working out this program. I have full faith that while it is possible someone could try to rig it they wouldn't succeed.

This is about recognizing those among us who deserve it. We are all a community and this process is about pointing out those who new folks should aspire to be or at the very least go to with questions.

8/17/2017 1:52:56 PM #6

Look beyond yourself and what is best for our community.

8/17/2017 2:28:05 PM #7

For me at least, this is a Dras election- not a single person I wanted to vote yes for, but I found plenty to vote no for.

8/17/2017 4:01:37 PM #8

The Ambassador Program isn't a popularity contest because it isn't a contest at all.

A contest implies the nominees are competing for a limited number of ambassador spots. However if you read over the Ambassador Program write-up linked from all the polls you'll see that the Ambassador Program is designed to "recognize and elevate the members of the community who go above and beyond."

This means all members of the community who go above and beyond. We do not compare the nominees against one another.

We have a set of internal guidelines and metrics we look for to determine whether or not any particular nominee meets our criteria. In theory, all or none of the nominees could be made Ambassadors based on how they individually meet our criteria; and obviously, the more people who meet our criteria, the healthier and better the community will be.

Because they're all individually evaluated, there's no benefit or purpose to down-voting others in an effort to improve the odds of the person you want to be an Ambassador.

So it's pretty simple. If, in your experience, someone has demonstrated what we're looking for in an ambassador, vote yes for them. If you've had a negative experience with someone and don't feel they'd make a good ambassador, vote no. And if you feel you haven't had enough experiences with someone to make an enlightened vote, then simply don't vote.

Sincerely,
Caspian

8/17/2017 8:16:44 PM #9

I voted for those I thought met the criteria. If I was unsure as to their qualifications, I simply didn't vote (although a possible vote of "I don't know who this person is" would have been an interesting extra dynamic).

Frankly, my biggest complaint about the process thus far is that the first page of General Discussion is a block of Ambassador voting posts right now. ;-)

8/17/2017 8:27:28 PM #10

Posted By CptBloodBeard at 3:25 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

I seem to recall from somewhere that Ambassadors will be guaranteed a talent

Booooo

Source? Pretty sure this is completely untrue.

8/17/2017 8:40:44 PM #11

Posted By Malais at 3:27 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Booooo

Perhaps we should ask an Ambassador if he or she knows what CptBloodBeard is talking about? ^.^

I, for one, have no recollection of any such statement. 🤷

8/17/2017 8:47:14 PM #12

Posted By CptBloodBeard at 1:25 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Booooo

You're a funny guy bloodbeard. I like you.

That's why i'm going to kill you last.

8/17/2017 11:07:41 PM #13

Posted By Malais at 3:27 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Booooo

Par for the course with the good captain.

KS Backer 750 Friend Code: 8FF2A7

8/17/2017 11:22:36 PM #14

Posted By Vucar at 2:47 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Posted By CptBloodBeard at 1:25 PM - Thu Aug 17 2017

Booooo

You're a funny guy bloodbeard. I like you.

That's why i'm going to kill you last.

LOL, great commando quote.

-The largest cause of war is selfishness. The hardest thing to achieve in life is mutual selflessness.

Friend Code CD4DE7

8/17/2017 11:28:00 PM #15

Lol serp is deleting all my comments. Even ones did that pertain to the OP

I'd like to lodge a formal complaint

House BloodBeard - Kill the boy, let the man be born

~~All Hail the Lord of Fire~~