COMMUNITY - FORUMS - GENERAL DISCUSSION
Arms and Armour-A Collection of Threads

For quite some time now, I wanted to make some threads with the goal of clearing up common misconceptions people have about all sorts of things related to arms and armor, and who knows, maybe some of the threads will even be helpful for the game.

I figured it might be a smart move to make one big thread that links to all of them, aswell as informative threads other users have made on the topic, so we don't have to bump a dozen threads to keep the knowledge visible and easily available to other forum-goers.

As of now I obviously don't have many threads ready to go yet, but if you'd like to have a thread of yours linked here, just ask.

I also made a Discord server, where we can discuss this topic anytime, without alienating all the other people on the official Discord, aswell as to review and help writing further content for the forums:

Arms and Armour-CoE DISCORD

Basics:

On the weight of armour

On the weight of weapons

The physics behind arms and armour

On bows and potential energy

On arrows and momentum

Leverage and the mass of melee weapons

Historical Diagrams of European Weapons and Armor, by Jouten

Specific Arms and Armour:

Why greatswords are the best ... a not too serious first, little post about greatswords.

From Stone to Steel, by markof a collection of more obscure weapons and armour materials, with a focus on, in what form you could see them in Elyria.

Related to Arms and Armour:

On the verisimiltude of weapons and armor so far

Weapon- and armorsmithing

Metallurgy, by Huntsmaster

Historical European Combat Resource, by Jouten a collection of various YouTube-Channels, aswell as a "Western Martial Arts Wiki". Great for everyone who wants to go even more indepth.

The truth is born in argument

8/17/2017 7:05:46 PM #1

I am honoured to have helped birth similar threads like my Horse Compendium but for other subjects.

+1

8/18/2017 4:46:29 AM #2

Funny... I was about to write some serious stuff about this a few days ago but lost steam because I've been drumming the same information over and over and would hear nothing from the devs (except for that one time when the devs responded saying the armor piece I was criticizing was actually outside the timeperiod I studied; Napoleonic to be exact...except the chest piece was still too long and gonna choke the user out <.<. Embarrassing note though, those were the ONLY times Irreverent has ever posted on the forums).

Was taking snap shots from text books and making charts and stuff too. Here are a few examples. (THE VALUES ARE PLACEHOLDERS!! Gotta get an assembly of kits before I can see the maximum and minimum values)

I also made these links a super long time ago. Don't know if it'll contribute but it has pretty pictures at least >.>.

Historical Diagrams of European Weapons and Armor

Historical European Combat Resource

I just might start writing stuff up again and try to contribute.

8/18/2017 5:28:45 AM #3

Nice move. Joined the discord and look forward to the discussions to come!

8/18/2017 4:19:19 PM #4

I added a lot of new topics, from markof, Jouten and myself. If you are interested - check them out.

8/18/2017 10:37:25 PM #5

Sticky this??

8/19/2017 11:32:16 AM #6

Another thread has been added. Tomorrow I will cover melee weapons and leverage, and after that maybe different types of mail.

8/19/2017 5:29:46 PM #7

I do wish these topics were not in General discussions, they seem to get lost. Luminios your doing a great job of linking all these discussions and for creating them. Perhaps some day we can get a place in Game Play Mechanics with a title like Observable Science where we can put all these topics while comparing them to the in game Physics engine. Thanks again.

8/19/2017 6:35:38 PM #8

I'll keep posting new threads, and maybe bump all of the linked ones once, once the whole community ambassador voting is done. All those polls most certainly do drown some of the posts, but afterwards we will have some shiny ambassadors :)

Thank you for your kind words.

8/19/2017 7:40:03 PM #9

Posted By Drun Redforge at 11:37 PM - Fri Aug 18 2017

Sticky this??

Problem is, if you sticky this you will have to sticky the other similar threads on different subjects

8/19/2017 8:05:12 PM #10

true. which is why my suggestion is simply another category under game mechanics since a good portion of this information relates to how we view things working, thus what will feel right in the game.

8/20/2017 5:11:29 PM #11

A new thread is up, and I would like to once again call attention to the Discord ... It is quite lonely during NA night, at times.

8/23/2017 3:33:01 PM #12

Two new threads since the last update, go and check them out!

11/30/2017 4:44:03 PM #13

Yay, one new thread, maybe more to come soon~ish?

11/30/2017 4:59:04 PM #14

I am strangely aroused by this thread ...

5/17/2018 8:30:51 PM #15

Nice, got to save those threads for my tabletop games. Found this from a similar post, good info.

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC