COMMUNITY - FORUMS - THE TAVERN
Astrologers announcing seasons

If an astrologer can predict the season changes would it possible for the astrologer to set up a system for him to sell his predictions and have them published on some sort of town board where the citizens can see the forecast?

8/24/2017 6:15:42 AM #1

I imagine he could use scribing skills to write it down as an almanac and sell those if there was demand for it, or to be commissioned to write something of a sort by a government entity. Nothing concrete on this at the moment, though.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

8/24/2017 6:18:52 AM #2

I just saw a video with where it was stated an Elyrian year would be four real world days, with a season per day. Now, the video may be dated, but the data offered shows that not only farming and animal breeding will be affected, but wars will be slowed down as snow comes in from the north. An astrologer would be able to make a fortune discerning the bonuses certain planetary alignments might offer, that they could glean after multiple "years" of observation.

I think astrology is going to mostly be used with cartography, but one can always hope.

Melfice Czermoon, Mayor of Czermoon Friend Code: 111FC9

8/24/2017 6:21:02 AM #3

That video is old. A year is a week long now, seven real world days with the seasons varying by biome, longitude and latitude, and other factors. They changed it as they felt 4 days was too short to get a full experience of seasons, or that players might just skip a day to get through a troublesome season.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

8/24/2017 7:25:29 AM #4

Posted By AvariciaMoon at 8/24/2017 6:21:02 AM

That video is old. A year is a week long now, seven real world days with the seasons varying by biome, longitude and latitude, and other factors. They changed it as they felt 4 days was too short to get a full experience of seasons, or that players might just skip a day to get through a troublesome season.

I remember reading that a season was going to be between 2 and 6 days. Averaging at 4.

8/24/2017 7:33:14 AM #5

While years are now fixed at 7 days to a year, seasons can vary between 2-8 days. You can read more about it in this update.

I do not believe the season length varies across the world AvariciaMoon, just the severity. So while the winter might last 8 days everywhere in the cold north that is going to have a far more dramatic impact than the more temperate regions.

As for the topic:

Instead, we'll provide subtle clues in the world, as well as in the stars, to help the keen observer or astronomer recognize when the seasons will be... out of the ordinary.

It might not just be astronomers that can tell with the other clues in the world. However, we won't know how difficult it will be to tell until we get in there and survive our first few long, or short, seasons.

I think there will be various ways for them to communicate the information, however, selling it might be tricky. It is information that can easily be spread by word of mouth and is therefore very hard to control and charge people for. So perhaps you could get a more long term contract as the town astronomer for which they pay you a wage to make sure that information is given. How likely towns are to move towards such a system will, of course, depend on how difficult it is to predict the seasons and how difficult they are to survive.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/24/2017 8:16:34 AM #6

Posted By VictoriaRachel at 5:33 PM - Thu Aug 24 2017

I think there will be various ways for them to communicate the information, however, selling it might be tricky. It is information that can easily be spread by word of mouth and is therefore very hard to control and charge people for. So perhaps you could get a more long term contract as the town astronomer for which they pay you a wage to make sure that information is given. How likely towns are to move towards such a system will, of course, depend on how difficult it is to predict the seasons and how difficult they are to survive.

I kind of just figured people would want to know so that they don't go out exploring just before winter expecting it to be 4 days away and then bam. Winter came two days earlier and they are stuck in the snow. Or maybe a farmer wants to grow a crop and knowing summer is going to last a longer means they will buy more seeds or whatever.

As for a year lasting a week what if a season lasts 8 days. Does that mean the entire year was Spring?

8/24/2017 8:30:17 AM #7

People will certainly want to know. The issue is that once you sell the information to one person you no longer have control of it and it can pass quickly by word of mouth. So informing people is certainly something you can do, just the selling part I would question.

And yes, seasons and years are not connected. With the average season length being 4 days you are rarely going to get all four seasons in a year.

Author of the Elyria Echo the first, and least up-to-date, CoE fan site.

8/24/2017 8:46:02 AM #8

Where I was going was that the astrologer has an agreement with the mayor, baron, or whomever and is paid for their predictions to the town/city and the populous. Where it is freely available and perhaps the tax is a little higher in order to pay the astrologer or maybe even use it as an attraction for more citizens to join the city.

8/24/2017 8:55:28 AM #9

Posted By TheLostMan at 04:46 AM - Thu Aug 24 2017

Where I was going was that the astrologer has an agreement with the mayor, baron, or whomever and is paid for their predictions to the town/city and the populous. Where it is freely available and perhaps the tax is a little higher in order to pay the astrologer or maybe even use it as an attraction for more citizens to join the city.

I imagine your best bet for making some coin is to travel to schools and teach others for a fee. I imagine some nobility may even pay you to teach their people. Although this is likely a short lived way of making money, unless you constantly improve your predictions and stay 1 step ahead of everyone else.

Alt text - can be left blank