COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULBORN ENGINE
Natural Disasters

Will natural disasters exist and if so how much destruction are they capable of. If a hurricane was to pass through a town would it would all but be wiped out? Removing it from the face of the world and the hours and hours of time it took to establish and build the settlement.

8/25/2017 3:11:35 AM #1

yes they will

no real details yet as to when they will appear, or how devastating they would be

personally i think it would be awesome if their appearances were somehow foretold in the stars, not in a blatant way, but in such a manner than the astute astronomer would be able to discern what was going on, and forewarn his community/kingdom of the impending disaster

8/25/2017 7:38:36 AM #2

Yeah but what will the community be able to do to defend such a thing?

8/25/2017 8:50:21 AM #3

You don't defend against natural disasters. You prepare. There is a difference. Like stocking up on food and heat supplies for a winter storm, for example. Blizzard is going to do what it wants, you just make sure you have the stuff to last through it. Now, what a community has to do for CoE disasters is currently unknown, partially cuz we don't know all of the potential disasters or how devastating they might be.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

8/25/2017 9:21:50 AM #4

You don't defend against natural disasters. You prepare. It may even be someones job to do such a thing in a community. You may even seek out "Insurance" contracts in case certain things happen. Pay so much and then get x amount of support( materials to rebuild, manpower to clean up or preform rescue operations) in case such a thing happens.

I may have just created the first insurance company here!

8/25/2017 12:55:52 PM #5

Posted By Hawell at 05:21 AM - Fri Aug 25 2017

I may have just created the first insurance company here!

I've been racking my brain figuring out insurance. Major money making potential.

Anyways, on the topic, I'm really excited about the possibilities of disasters. I imagine if there comes a time where everything turns into a giant kumbaya fest with everybody getting along, the devs could unleash something like this to see how a world would deal with it. Or, if a certain kingdom is way, way, way ahead in the research arena, introducing a area that has a very high potential for causing a disaster (wildfire anyone).

Alt text - can be left blank

8/25/2017 9:16:51 PM #6

This just made me think about money potential in this game and so on. Will it be possible to run like a little gamehouse, small lotteries and such things, or will this be against some certain rules in some countries? I know gambling is a sensetive matter at some places. But if it is only for in-game currencies, should it be fine?

~

8/25/2017 9:56:27 PM #7

Posted By Shinyih at 11:16 PM - Fri Aug 25 2017

This just made me think about money potential in this game and so on. Will it be possible to run like a little gamehouse, small lotteries and such things, or will this be against some certain rules in some countries? I know gambling is a sensetive matter at some places. But if it is only for in-game currencies, should it be fine?

I do not see the relation with the OP, but Gambling/gaming was a stretch goal we reached so tavern games should be in the game at launch.

8/27/2017 9:14:18 PM #8

I have heard them discussing volcanoes and earthquakes in some of the videos. So I expect not only disasters, but total disasters, sinking continents, exploding moons, plagues of Cannus Rabbits, and permadeath for everyone in a settlement, county, dutchy, or even kingdom.

This game has no limits in the death and destruction realm 😈

8/30/2017 11:09:01 PM #9

I would like to think the research/technology area would lead to astrologists and meteorologists that would be able to discover weather patterns and predict impending disasters. And with most of CoE, they maintain the goal of realism in this game... which is also survival based... so chances are good that a natural disaster could cause some real issues.

~Mayor Helenda

Friend code: 10D5D3

9/5/2017 11:53:43 PM #10

Astrology is one way to look at it.

But I also thing that these things are best reserved as control mechanisms in case people get too powerful. As I dont see the devs griefing poor players with such a thing and the engine is more than equipped to target segments of the population with natural desasters.

But in addition to volcanoes and earthquakes I could swear that they also mentioned flooding near rivers or coasts as well.

And seeing the snow buildup you can imagine if they suddenly dumped 10ft of snow on you that it would also certainly would be considered a natural disaster as well.

Tornadoes would also be in their wheel house as well as sand storms.

If you have items or assets you no longer have use for feel free to send them my way.