COMMUNITY - FORUMS - FAMILIES & NOBLE HOUSES
Baron and Mayor

Is there a difference between the two or are they two titles for the same thing?

9/11/2017 9:27:12 PM #1

There is more, but the Baron has a Furnished Villa

A solid, fully furnished Villa from which to govern your settlement

And the mayor hasn't.

9/11/2017 9:41:34 PM #2

A baron is the mayor of a more military based town, who has an arrangement with the Duke to provide military services to the surrounding community in exchange for support from the Duke.

See this Journal Entry

Friend Code: D73035

Mayor NA-E

9/11/2017 9:45:19 PM #3

A baron is a mayor who has established a contractual agreement with their duke, generally for military purpose. Because of this agreement, the baron will have added responsibility and is usually tasked with running a settlement more military in nature than a common mayor. The only thing that differentiates the two mechanically is the contract. Other than that, they are generally the same. Both manage a settlement, both pay taxes–though the baron may be provided funds by the duke–both are subject to the laws of their domain, etcetera.

In terms of the pledges, what was the Baron pledge during the Kickstarter campaign is the Mayor pledge now, give or take a few extra perks.

9/11/2017 10:05:17 PM #4

Pledge wise, as Artsy said, Mayor is pretty much the new name for the KS Baron tier. Originally Baron tier was intended that players could choose to begin in a regular town (Mayor), or in a stronghold (Baron), dependent on whether they wished to have a more civic or military playstyle. That then changed so that Barons/Baronesses would be an arranged in-game contract between a Mayor and their Duke, rather than something chosen during domain selection.

They're at the same peerage level (they're both aristocrats), but Barons have made a contract with their Duke/Duchess to maintain defences (could be walls, garrison, etc etc) at the Duke/Duchess's expense. So whether barons get more recognition than mayors due to their extra responsibilities will be depend on the kingdom you're in I suppose. Barons will likely be on borders of duchies/kingdoms, all down to your lord though.

9/11/2017 11:15:10 PM #5

Posted By Ilyria_Balmore at 5:27 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

And the mayor hasn't.

this is incorrect both get the furnished Villa. one is a military settlement and other is a crafting settlement. you can mix and match things from both if you are the one creating the settlement. Might find you need a blacksmith and weaponsmith for the military settlement. All depends on what you feel is needed.

need at least a Magistrate package to get the villa. (this covers Mayor or Baron)

9/12/2017 2:22:55 AM #6

Posted By Iccubus at 6:15 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

And the mayor hasn't.

this is incorrect both get the furnished Villa. one is a military settlement and other is a crafting settlement. you can mix and match things from both if you are the one creating the settlement. Might find you need a blacksmith and weaponsmith for the military settlement. All depends on what you feel is needed.

need at least a Magistrate package to get the villa. (this covers Mayor or Baron)

Unless you purchased the kickstarter baron package (later renamed the mayor package post kickstarter). Then you get the villa. That's part of what causes confusion at times. There is the title of Baron in game, and the Baron package from Kickstarter which gives you the Mayor title like the mayor package does now.

9/12/2017 2:32:51 AM #7

So as a baron would you be directly pledged to the duke or are you still a vassal of the count? Also would being a mayor mean that you're pledged to a count or are ruling over an independent city?

9/12/2017 3:22:59 AM #8

Posted By Xmanninja at 10:32 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

So as a baron would you be directly pledged to the duke or are you still a vassal of the count? Also would being a mayor mean that you're pledged to a count or are ruling over an independent city?

One thing that's always important to note is that, unless you are a monarch, you will always be within someone else's domain. Regardless of whether you are a count, mayor, baron, gentry or peasant, you're going to have someone above you. As a baron, you do have a relationship with the duke, and that relationship will generally mean more autonomy with your settlement and how you run it, however, you will still be running a settlement within a county and that county will have laws–civic and criminal–that no one but the count is above. Even then, the count must be careful of the laws s/he chooses to violate. Anyways, the important thing to remember is that true independence will not exist in this game...at least not at the start.

9/12/2017 8:59:17 PM #9

Posted By Kaynadin at 10:22 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

Posted By Iccubus at 6:15 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

And the mayor hasn't.

Unless you purchased the kickstarter baron package (later renamed the mayor package post kickstarter). Then you get the villa. That's part of what causes confusion at times. There is the title of Baron in game, and the Baron package from Kickstarter which gives you the Mayor title like the mayor package does now.

Guess if the OP not having a rank I would figure not a kickstarter? So I speculated they would have the current pledge packages.

9/12/2017 11:10:07 PM #10

Posted By Xmanninja at 7:32 PM - Mon Sep 11 2017

The Baron is a vassal of the duke but still a subject of the count. The county law supercedes the barony unless the duke says otherwise (since the duchy law supercedes county law) Also everyone, regardless of which of the baron/mayor, magistrate, or governor pledges you pick, starts as a mayor during settlement selection. You will still have to make an actual arrangement with an actual player or npc duke before you can become a true Baron.

9/25/2017 8:36:07 AM #11

Very nice explanations i agree with all of them. I am sure i can add that for those player that like a pvp style of game i raccomand to be a Baron or live in a Barony .

For those player that prefere a less dangerous style of game i would raccomand to be a Mayor or to live in a normal city. I am pretty sure that every Kingdom will set the Barony near the borders to help the defences.

For any additional info about Baron please feel free to message me in private as well :-)

9/25/2017 2:21:28 PM #12

In my view a Baron and Mayor are the same pledge tier. Where a Mayor makes improvements from some of the money they receive in taxes, a Baron makes improvements from the money they receive directly from the Duke. The strings from those moneys imply that a Baron must respond when asked by the Duke where as it is doubtful that a Mayor will get such a direct request. Typically a Mayor is more focused on the economic side of things where as a Baron is more on the military side. Now from my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) a Baron will not automatically have a contract with a Duke, the contract must be negotiated. So you can have a Baron title, live in a Dutchy and not have any contract with the Duke and no direct support in form of money or supplies from him, but more than likely he will definitely want a contract and your support at some point in time.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

9/25/2017 3:35:31 PM #13

Posted By Sullen at 09:21 AM - Mon Sep 25 2017

In my view a Baron and Mayor are the same pledge tier. Where a Mayor makes improvements from some of the money they receive in taxes, a Baron makes improvements from the money they receive directly from the Duke. The strings from those moneys imply that a Baron must respond when asked by the Duke where as it is doubtful that a Mayor will get such a direct request. Typically a Mayor is more focused on the economic side of things where as a Baron is more on the military side. Now from my understanding (correct me if I am wrong) a Baron will not automatically have a contract with a Duke, the contract must be negotiated. So you can have a Baron title, live in a Dutchy and not have any contract with the Duke and no direct support in form of money or supplies from him, but more than likely he will definitely want a contract and your support at some point in time.

Baron titles only come from contracts with a duke. There are no independent barons. The contract could say that you'll receive no funds from the duke however, in cases where a duke may want another judge and court somewhere in the Duchy with no real military significance.

9/25/2017 10:57:39 PM #14

I could see a Mayor setting up a settlement as a Baron without being pledged to a Duke. Really nothing to stop them from creating the settlement as they want.

Just buy military kits and build it as a fortress or stronghold.

I could see mercenary guilds being built this way for sure.

9/26/2017 12:01:16 AM #15

Posted By Grendahl_Moir at 9/25/2017 10:57:39 PM

I could see a Mayor setting up a settlement as a Baron without being pledged to a Duke. Really nothing to stop them from creating the settlement as they want.

Just buy military kits and build it as a fortress or stronghold.

I could see mercenary guilds being built this way for sure.

Sure, a mayor can command military assets, but that doesn't change the fact that the title of baron cannot exist without the contract.