COMMUNITY - FORUMS - DEVELOPER JOURNALS
A Retrospective on Jousting

PAX West has come and gone, and we’re coming to the end of our jousting adventure. Along the way, we shared our updates about the parties and quests, broadcasted a live Q&A on Twitch, tracked where progress was in production, and debuted the jousting gameplay trailer (which you can feast your eyes on below).

Jousting Gameplay Trailer

We outlined our new developer journal release plan in the recent State of a Elyria and, if you’ve been following along, you know there’s one step left: a retrospective. We want to share with you what we think went well with the jousting demo, what we could improve, and what the demo means to us as a studio. Watch the video in its entirety below:

A Retrospective on Jousting

Our goal was to put together an experience that shows off the last few months’ worth of work. Everything from the locomotion system, the improved animations, and our new-and-improved server stack, came together in a confluence of majestic horses and shattered lances that felt right to us, and delighted players at PAX West.

So take a peek into a day at Soulbound Studios, and let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

And lastly, Caspian and the team are working diligently on the next steps for Soulbound Studios; be on the lookout for the next quest kick off in the coming weeks.

Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube to stay up-to-date with the latest news and announcements from Soulbound Studios.

Until next time…

9/15/2017 11:41:22 PM #1

The jousting reminds me of: https://youtu.be/SmByu0RnbeM?t=2m20s

9/16/2017 12:04:55 AM #2

Looks amazing. Texture and lighting quality is fantastic. The animations and actions are visceral. Can we expect realistic physics when being hit by a lance later as opposed to the demo rag doll?

9/16/2017 12:14:46 AM #3

Posted By Xeryn at 7:04 PM - Fri Sep 15 2017

Looks amazing. Texture and lighting quality is fantastic. The animals are actions are visceral. Can we expect realistic physics when being hit by a lance later as opposed to the demo rag doll?

Or even keep the ragdolls pinned to the saddle, its weird seeing them fly off the horses, altho very entertaining.

9/16/2017 12:27:49 AM #4

I wonder how a Screen Shake for a second or two after a hit would feel and look and possibly adding a little Fuzziness on a great hit? Seems like it might add a little more 'impact' to the collision. Instead of the lance just breaking and the horse keeps running possibly something might be needed to add just a little more feel.

"Count Eldric Blackmoore of The Haven, offering direct support for the Hunters, Explorers and Gathers of Elyria" the

9/16/2017 3:32:11 AM #5

Posted By Xeryn at 8:04 PM - Fri Sep 15 2017

Can we expect realistic physics when being hit by a lance later as opposed to the demo rag doll?

I have the same question. I remember, i think it was Caspian, saying they wouldn't use ragdoll physics in CoE. Is that still the case? Are the ragdoll physics seen in recent videos just a placeholder?

archer, tamer, survivalist, monster hunter, protector of the weak || duchy of aravier, kingdom of alésia, « næ

9/16/2017 7:19:34 AM #6

The jousting looks great. I'm curious though, are list fields going to be purchasable with our starting EP (if so, how much are you thinking) or something that has to be manually resourced and constructed?

9/16/2017 1:37:22 PM #7

Please do more of these types of posts. really enjoyed this format.

Been asking for this for awhile and SBS delivered how I like information presented to the community.

Cannot wait to find out what the next step is in the coming weeks,

9/16/2017 1:55:58 PM #8

Posted By Jongatown at 03:19 AM - Sat Sep 16 2017

The jousting looks great. I'm curious though, are list fields going to be purchasable with our starting EP (if so, how much are you thinking) or something that has to be manually resourced and constructed?

I have asked this question a few times and have gotten no response, Until more information on EP store feel this will remain unanswered until then.

9/16/2017 6:44:58 PM #9

nice

When I am lost, I know I have traveled the farthest. Sayeth the guy jeff. 49F48A =FC

9/16/2017 10:23:20 PM #10

Awesome as per usual :)

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p795/SilDarklight/Chronicles%20of%20Elyria/Forum/Sigs/Luccheno%20600x100altzpsuev3knqe.jpg

9/17/2017 3:53:50 AM #11

Enjoyed this format very much. Hearing about the the lessons learned and seeing the team interact in a fluid edit made the time seem short! Very solid and interesting! Well done Guys.

Imgur

9/17/2017 2:44:31 PM #12

Anyone asking about the impact or physics, watch Retrospective on jousting starting at 13:01.

9/17/2017 9:00:12 PM #13

Nice graphics, from the mud to the saddles!!

9/24/2017 9:46:49 PM #14

very good, cheer up!

9/25/2017 12:34:49 AM #15

Looking great! Very interested in getting into some jousting with others in game!!

Semper Fidelis |Friend Code: 579D63|