COMMUNITY - FORUMS - SOULS, TALENTS, & REINCARNATION
reincarnation choice?

Reincarnation is taking over your heir right? can you have multiple heirs and do you choose which heir you jump into?

9/20/2017 4:02:48 PM #1

You are able to have more than one. :)

9/20/2017 5:23:11 PM #2

You would need to pick a primary (who your current soul would take over) to pass on your title and lands to.

However you can have multiple children from which you can choose whom to play. Or if you want to use a second soul and spark you can play multiples. However your title and lands need to be assigned to an heir(s). Count title to son A and barony to daughter B or everything to son C.

Each time you choose to play an heir you will need to spend story points (in Mystic's post above) it gives some rather vague details on those costs.

Basically the more "stuff" to want to pass on to a child the more story points that child will cost to play.

So as a count I could have three children to choose from. However I may not have enough story points to take over the heir that has my count title attached.

So I could conceivably take over a child that is only a baron while another of my children that I cannot play could be a count.

9/20/2017 5:35:53 PM #3

The idea is they want to let nobles who actually do the work of their title keep it, but don't want to allow people who do nothing with the position stay in power when others could have that chance instead. Keeps the cycle of power turning when people aren't doing their jobs.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

9/20/2017 5:46:59 PM #4

Posted By AvariciaMoon at 12:35 PM - Wed Sep 20 2017

The idea is they want to let nobles who actually do the work of their title keep it, but don't want to allow people who do nothing with the position stay in power when others could have that chance instead. Keeps the cycle of power turning when people aren't doing their jobs.

Of that I'm aware. However the question was can you have more than 1 choice. Answer is yes with the caveat of you may not be able to pick from all of the available choices. 😇

9/20/2017 6:29:36 PM #5

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that I was correcting you, I was just trying to add detail for the OP.

Also known as AvA in Discord.

9/20/2017 7:47:53 PM #6

Reincarnation is not limited or defined as strictly taking over an heir - although that is what many people will want to do in order to inherit.

You can choose any freely available family anywhere in the world that allows for it if you've got enough story points.

Since biomes and tribes as well as their cultures, laws, political landscape, etc., regional differences can vary significantly, not only are visuals and atmosphere change, but also the game experiences you are presented with.

Therefore the choice to leave behind your inheritance and start somewhere new (potentially in a higher position due to having SP to spend), can be an interesting choice where every new character life will be even more different from the the one before.

That might be as extreme as going:

1)

A Neran farmer who is adventurous and tries to explore foreign countries, living a nomand life and being self-sufficient (farming legally or illegally on land) with his odd friends.

to

2)

A Dras scholar who wants to assist military research or layout of fortifications along the country's borders.

to

3)

A Kypiq who tailors average of fine clothes from silk with beasts depicted on them.

to

4)

A Janoan miner who's out there in the dangerous wilderness to find a gold mine with his friends and become rich.

to

5)

A Brudvir mayor who encourages research and creates a good environment for NPCs and players to join the settlement, as new technology slowly allows to support a higher population than what was possible before by hunting only.

And many more.

Now, in CoE you're not fixed to a class because there exist no classes. And roles such as mentioned above (miner, scholar, etc.) merely describe what one can do well (what skills one has learned and practiced to be good at).
Of course you can do more than one role, but many would like to focus on 1-2 roles to become better than average at it.

Here are some ways that might make you apprechiate the idea of diversity and incentive to not reincarnate into characters of the same region exclusively. These are as close to actual game mechanics as I can make them be, but be aware that they are still subject to change due to what early stage in development the game is still at:

1+5)

The Neran farmers decide to go north to the lands of the Brudvir. They live high up in the mountains and it's difficult for the farmers to get to their settlement due to biological factors.
However one day a player who decided to be a Brudvir mayor, just like in (5), hears from one of his scouts or hunters about a nomadic caravan of Neran farmer. And they seem to be able to grow crops in the nutrient-poor Taiga.
He has to see it with his own eyes and when sees the Neran technology that makes it possible, he offers a symbiotic relationship or asks for their knowledge in exchange for warm pelts and clothing for the Nomads - they want to move on and see the world.

• Will the Neran find their way north into the Tundra and beyond or will nature bring them down?
  • Will they retreat and decide to settle with the Brudvir they've made allies with or go south next?

2+3)

The Dras scholar has spent years in making the swamps as hostile as an environment for foreign invadors as possible.
Seeking to see more colourful lands, he sets out to the broadleaf forests and is met with curiosity and chatter by the local Kypiqs who welcome a traveller who from his statue seems not to be a solider for once.

After some time he's introduced to a Kypiq tailor (3) who has heared of a scholar who's coming from foreign lands in peace. The tailor is interested in motives for beasts, exotic beasts from the swamps, but the scholar has to disappoint him; he's more of an architect and scribe than an artist and therefore cannot paint that well anything worthwhile that resembles the actual beasts.
However over time, he grows fond of this cheerful character of a tailor when he's showed around the forest and the little one explains his world to him. Fond enough to decide to go back to the swamps and find a good artist -

• Will the guards at the borders let him and his artist pass once again into foreign lands?
  • Do they get suspicious of him and what he might be plotting?
  • Can they still trust him as he's been away for months?
  • Will his Kypiq friend ever get to embroider his fashion collection with foreign beasts, or will his friend never return to him and he'll work with the low quality painting his scholar friend has tried to produce?
  • Will the fashion collection have close depictions of the beasts or strange variations due to the lack of good painting skills?

4)

The Janoan miner and his friends have to think of a way to appear natural in the various settlements along the route they look for gold veins at. But strangers are always suspicious to Janoa who like to keep to themselves and have tribal strucures (I would imagine). Hunters may travel long distances though, so they pick up some hunting skills and dress accordingly.

On one of their expeditions into the more dangerous and deep zones of the rain forest, one of them who has specialized in scouting finds tracks or a smaller critter which would make for good food as they won't make it back to the nearest village in time. So following the fresh trail, they speed up to make it before it gets dark.

After a while they come across what seems to be ruins - and the trail seems to follow along the ruins. When it comes to a stop, they find that it ends in a stone entrance that has been damaged over the passage of time. From the looks of it quite ran down.
They hear the critter, but become wary. They split in two teams:

The first one goes after another trail they've seen a few meters back for food, and the other one will prepare camp in one of the stone houses that has got some remainders of what must have been a roof.

At the campfire their cartographer pulls a blank sheet of hide from his backpack and a colourful feather with some ink. He looks at the stars for several minutes and puts a cross along with some star names in one corner of the canvas. Right next to the mark he writes in tropical letters: "Landmark, good for shelter"

Upon sunrise they marvel at what they thought to be merely an ancient or forsaken village. The cartographer reaches for his hide from the day before and makes some changes while the rest of the expedition team still is vividely discussing their luck:
"L̶a̶n̶d̶m̶a̶r̶k̶,̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶l̶t̶e̶r̶"
->
"Ancient temple ruins. Might have treasures!" (in Northener letters to guard against curious eyes)

• Will they find actual gold or treasures?
  • Will they be able to get most of the valuables to a safe place before other people notice the strange caravans or activity around the area?
  • Will there be ancient scripture that is important to the world story?
  • Will they need to bring warriors to deal with larger critters that might live in the bigger structures - used as shelters?

11/6/2017 12:58:09 AM #7

Thanks for the info guys this was just what I was after.

Friend Code: EABB9D

11/6/2017 7:56:03 PM #8

Posted By AvariciaMoon at 1:35 PM - Wed Sep 20 2017

So you have to have unused storypoints ? Kind of confusing. f it's anything like any type of points you get while playing or levelling up in other games, people have the tendency to "spend" them right away.

Is there anything more then just a vague idea of what these SP are and how to use them, or such at this point ?

11/6/2017 8:30:06 PM #9

You can get Story Points depending on your character's involvement in the story. These points earned will then be multiplied by your character's fame.

Sparks of Life - As part of the Chronicles of Elyria "Earn to Play" model, players will be able to trade in the SP they earn while playing for a new Spark of Life.[2]

Souls - You can spend your SP to buy new Souls.

Life Improvements - You will possibly be able to spend SP in return for items or consumables to aid your next character.[3] "It has always been our plan that Story Points were used to improve your lot in life. Work hard in your previous life, and like karma, you'll be rewarded in the next. - Caspian" Heirs - If you wish to have an heir to pass your possessions to upon your characters death, a certain amount of SP will be required in order to do so.[3] Soulbound Studio anticipates that any player will be able to earn enough SP to activate an heir within 3 months of active gameplay. This encourages players to be active, with the risk of losing their current title and fame if they are not.

The above is what is currently known about story points.

11/28/2017 11:37:02 AM #10

This has probably already been answered, but will players be able to produce children together?

If so, how will that work?

Free will is inherently an illusion. Humanity exists in a state of robotic-like trance by default.

Sometimes I dream about cheese.

11/28/2017 12:05:28 PM #11

Posted By LingeringProfanity at 12:37 PM - Tue Nov 28 2017

This has probably already been answered, but will players be able to produce children together?

Yes, you do so by finding someone of the opposite sex, PC or NPC, who is willing to make a child contract. You will also need a free bedroom for the child. The child is spawned immediately so no period of pregnancy, both parents will have about a years (real life week) cooldown before they can make another child contract.

11/28/2017 1:21:00 PM #12

This thread brings a question to my mind: Will there be titles other than standard aristocratic ones, and how will those affect SP cost of an heir? Will passing on leadership of an association to an heir add SP cost as well?

Obviously not all titles need be passed on as such. But it struck me as interesting. Not all titles necessarily come with tangible benefits like land and a manor. Is property the defining characteristic?

Join us on Discord!

11/28/2017 1:26:24 PM #13

Posted By ThatRasputin at 12:21 AM - Wed Nov 29 2017

This thread brings a question to my mind: Will there be titles other than standard aristocratic ones, and how will those affect SP cost of an heir? Will passing on leadership of an association to an heir add SP cost as well?

Obviously not all titles need be passed on as such. But it struck me as interesting. Not all titles necessarily come with tangible benefits like land and a manor. Is property the defining characteristic?

My understanding is that the way titles function, they're tied to specific land/s and if you lose the title you lose the land (and vice versa). If you don't actually have a county, you can't be a count, etc. Currently all the aristocrat / noble titles have some sort of tangible presence which can be lost, so I'm guessing that there will be 'noble' families who no longer have a real title, but are still wealthy. Right now, I think there are no plans by the devs for landless titles, but kingdoms will likely create them on their own.

I think the SP cost will be specifically tied to whether you are the heir of a character who's currently a title holder (that is to say, landowner in some way). If there's no title, the cost would probably just be affected by normal factors.